Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
brendan

Drives: toyota yaris
OK, this guy was looking for 17'' without drop,I gave it to him, and now my car is being said off, wow what a forum

Oh and I like my 4 pipes very much,not loud at all infact it is the same box, I only split the pipe, only for the look

''nuff said''. . .

Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soni View Post
Is there anyone whose willing to post a pic of their Yaris with aftermarket wheels, but are still using the stock suspension?

I'm planning on getting 17" wheels, but I don't have plans right now for getting it lowered at all soon. I just want to see what it might look like without the new suspension.

Or if you have any advice for wheel and tire shopping, that would be much appreciated as well. I just don't want huge gaps in between the wheels and the body.
The wheel gap will be the same no matter what size wheels you run, as long as you run proper tire sizing. 17's will bring the wheel gap to your attention more, yes, but the gap will remain the same as what it is now.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
33OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
Also, nobody that I know of lowered on 15s rubs, its when they go to 17s.
This really has nothing to do with the wheel height. Running proper tire size, the diameter will be the same. It mainly occurs because when wheel diameter goes up, the width tends to go up as well. For example, you will never see a 17x5.5 but 15x5.5 is more common. Also, offsets play into this as well.

But you can lower a car on large wheels without rubbing if you run proper tire size and get a higher offset wheel. A 17x7 +45 would not rub with a drop from any lowering spring.

BTW - I've never rubbed on either set of 17's I've owned (17x7 +43 and 17x7 +40) but I rubbed like crazy on my 15x7 +19 MOMO's.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #22
33OH

And finally, wheel gap with a 15" wheel and stock suspension:

Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
Its cool, ignoring my points is as good for me as you saying "I'm wrong and can't refute anything you said, my rims are goofy and make my car slow"
Well, since I have to spell it out for you...you didn't make any points, so there was nothing to refute!

But you can continue to believe you "schooled" someone who has probably been driving longer than you've been alive! Now go away and let the adults talk!

Brendan, I really like your car; and would much rather drive it than some lame sedan!

And 33OH, I don't think that's correct, as if you compare the picture of the car with 15" wheels to mine you will see that the gap is significantly smaller on my car. It has more to do with offset than it does wheel size.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #24
Tylermayer

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
17 motegi rims on stock then i dropped it 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0906.jpg (159.2 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2228.jpg (154.7 KB, 232 views)
Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #25
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
And 33OH, I don't think that's correct, as if you compare the picture of the car with 15" wheels to mine you will see that the gap is significantly smaller on my car. It has more to do with offset than it does wheel size.
The ignorance continues. Offset and wheel gap are on different planes. Wheel/tire size and wheel gap are on the same plane.
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #26
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
You guys are brutal to each other. If the dude likes the gap...........Who cares? it's his ride. There are so many combinations to achive a certian look out there and that's what makes us all different. You can virtually run what ever tire/whell combo you want with the right suspension set-up.

I don't know mabey one of you should do a killer JDM set-up with some killer camber-offset and tuck those wheels a little as well.

Oh, but you'll need more than some cheap ass springs. Perhaps some Double adjustable coil-overs and camber plates. Now were talking about getting a real agresive look. Mabey get some JIC Majic , Megan, K-Sport or some other bad ass way to truley adjust your ride height. And then hey, run what ever tire you want...........because it won't matter, you can adjust it to your likeing.

But hey this is just my opinon.

Enjoy arguing

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #27
33OH

Quote:
Well, since I have to spell it out for you...you didn't make any points, so there was nothing to refute!

But you can continue to believe you "schooled" someone who has probably been driving longer than you've been alive! Now go away and let the adults talk!

Brendan, I really like your car; and would much rather drive it than some lame sedan!

The gap is more significant because the tire size is smaller than yours. 195/50/15.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #28
33OH

Quote:

And it has nothing to do with offset, which is how far the hub mounting surface is from the face of the wheel. Aka backspacing.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #29
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
Now this looks BAD-ASS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris.jpg (65.5 KB, 215 views)
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #30
Soni

Drives: 2011 Vitz HB
Quote:
Horseshit! I run 17" wheels with no lowering springs and it looks pretty damn good!

As for the comparisons with 4x4s, maybe compared to the weak dick ones they have up north they are similar; but down here in Texas we have real 4x4s and there is no comparison...

Get the right offset and a set of 17s will look great on your Yaris!

Cheers! M2
Thank you soooo much for showing. I had my doubts about not getting lowering springs, but after seeing this, I'm totally inspired. Thanks again!!! Very helpful.
Soni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #31
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
Holy Wheel gap batman,...
AHAHHA so funny
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #32
matthewai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soni View Post
I'm totally inspired.
wait inspired to get them or not get them?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #33
Soni

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Thread shot to Hell

No wonder the OP hasn't come back.
Sorry, I actually never forgot about this thread. I just wanted to wait couple days until I was sure that someone posted some pics. I also just had other stuff to do. That's all. I'm also very, very appreciative of how helpful everyone has been. I know now that coilovers are definitely a good idea to get, but in the meantime, 17's with the stock suspension actually doesn't look to bad in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #34
Soni

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
wait inspired to get them or not get them?
I'm inspired to get the 17's first. (I'm siding with those who are using the stock suspension with aftermarket wheels)

But I'm definitely lowering them afterwards.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #35
matthewai

biggs
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #36
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgod View Post
Now this looks BAD-ASS
Really? I think it looks ridiculous, but I live in the land of Mexican lowriders and there's nothing more amusing as watching them bottom out when going over a speed bump! That thing would self-destruct if driven like that on roads around here!

And Soni, I had thought about lowering mine for a while now, but I just don't see the need. I like the way my car looks as it is, it handles great and if anything, I am concerned about rubbing. Dropping it a inch or so really won't make that much difference, and I suspect the handling gains are nominal (and imaginary in some cases) if at all.

Cheers! M2

Tags
17" wheels, shopping, stock suspension