Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
JoshW
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris GS 1.0
Help With Reverse Noise????

Hi all,

I have a problem with my 2002 Toyota Yaris 1.0 GS which I bought about a month ago. When shifted into reverse and reversing up a gradient/hill, it makes a loud vibrating/humming sound when on the biting point. The noise goes away when the clutch is pushed in. I have noticed this happens on a very steep gradient in 1st gear but it is rare that the noise occurs in first. I am confused by the noise as it doesn't seem to make the noise in reverse on a flat road. I have been searching on the internet and sources have suggested that it could be the release bearing yet others say it could be an exhaust rattle (the car is a manual btw). I know most cars make a noise in reverse due to the gears being cut different but this noise is definitely abnormal as it is loud when present. I could post a clip of the noise if possible.
The clutch is fine and doesn't slip or rumble and the car has almost covered 54,000 miles. What could this noise possibly be??

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks,

Josh.

Last edited by JoshW; 09-10-2011 at 05:44 AM.
JoshW is offline   Reply With Quote