Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
jonny77

Drives: 2009 YarisS
Yeah, I race this thing on dirt.....

It was my daughters first car that I deemed to dangerous for her to drive in the big city.....so I transformed it.

I run it in second and it turns from 4000 off the corner to 6000 at the end of the straightaway. I machined one of those honda spider lockers and installed it in the U340E diff. It works good. I run 3" of stagger on the right front and 40 psi pressure in the RR and it turns after unhooking the right sway bar. Gonna preload the left from the right side at the lower body to get the left front to pull off the corner and work on tire sizes to up the RPM to right at the limiter at 6500. I was thinking of going to the 1ZZ throttle body as the 1NZFE engine is guttless off the corners on a sticky track. I'm racing a bunch of Cavaliers with the Ecotec 2.2 that make about 40 horses more and their torque is quite significant. I've got a cold air intake and straight exhaust and pinned the intake came to full advance as the electronics have to be removed by rules. Any ideas from here how to improve this engine before I junk it for a 1ZZ or build a Celica with a 2ZZ. It is a wild ride on a 1/4 dirt oval.
Attached Images

jonny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Looks like fun! Jason@SportsCar did some serious wizardry to his SCCA club racing 1NZ a few years ago when he took the national championship in H Production but nobody's been able to get their hands on the secret recipe for that one. ;) There are options for cams and manifolds than can potentially free up a few more horses but it's mostly trial and error to get the right design.

The 2ZR is the simplest engine upgrade and nets you at least 30 hp. I'm assuming you don't have an issue with fabricating your own mounts so a 1ZZ would be only slightly more mechanically complicated since there are no factory mounts for that swap. The electrical side isn't well documented so you'd be largely on your own--the 2ZR is just a few wires different from the 1NZ on the engine bay harness and the ECU mounts in the same location. The 2ZZ is way more potential but harder to source and likely much more expensive. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend to get out in front of the GM crowd.

Take a look at the 2ZR swap threads to see what's involved, I'd be happy to answer whatever questions I can!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
I don't know what the rules you run under are, but you might look at user RomanDave's efforts with individual throttle bodies. He had these on 2NZ, and the power gain from 4000 RPM up was impressive.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
jonny77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Looks like fun! Jason@SportsCar did some serious wizardry to his SCCA club racing 1NZ a few years ago when he took the national championship in H Production but nobody's been able to get their hands on the secret recipe for that one. ;) There are options for cams and manifolds than can potentially free up a few more horses but it's mostly trial and error to get the right design.

The 2ZR is the simplest engine upgrade and nets you at least 30 hp. I'm assuming you don't have an issue with fabricating your own mounts so a 1ZZ would be only slightly more mechanically complicated since there are no factory mounts for that swap. The electrical side isn't well documented so you'd be largely on your own--the 2ZR is just a few wires different from the 1NZ on the engine bay harness and the ECU mounts in the same location. The 2ZZ is way more potential but harder to source and likely much more expensive. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend to get out in front of the GM crowd.

Take a look at the 2ZR swap threads to see what's involved, I'd be happy to answer whatever questions I can!
Thanks for this info, I thought a 1ZZ Corolla would bolt right up. The bottom mount is on the tranny and there is only one mount on the front of the engine. I'm assuming that is the mount you're referring to for fabrication. I'll have to look into the 2ZR as I was leaning toward the 1ZZ. The 2ZZ is way too much for our class. Thanks so much!
Old 06-30-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Yes, technically the engine should bolt to the transmission (same bolt pattern on the C5X/C6X families) but the starter is sometimes in a different spot. There's a few under-documented 1ZZ swaps around somewhere, nothing with the level of detail that's been done on the 2ZR between ArmstrongRacing, Brushforhire, AtomicHoji, myself and a few others--apologies if I've forgotten anyone!

You actually need all of the mounts from an xD to make it work because the engine sits a little farther forward and lower than the 1NZ. I don't recall where the clearance issues are with the Yaris transmission mounts but I would assume it's the block and/or oil pan against the sub frame. There have been differing levels of success with mixing Yaris and xD mounts but not enough investigation has been done to understand why.

The wiring really is incredibly simple for the 2ZR because they use the same ECU connectors. The xD ECU plugs in to the Yaris main harness. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. AFAIK the 1ZZs all use the older, beige, unsealed ECU connectors so even if you had the engine harness, you'd have to splice in the engine bay/dash connections. Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult. :)

The exhaust needs to be fabbed but you can use a 2ZR Corolla/Matrix/Vibe or xD header as the base and then plumb the rest yourself.

Radiator is the same but you need the xD fill neck and upper hose. Heater core hoses are probably not a concern for you.

Fuel hose from the hard line to the fuel rail should be swapped to the xD, might be able to get away with the Yaris.

I kept the Yaris axles and haven't had any issues in the last 5 years of daily driving and some AutoX/track stuff.

I think that's about it. It's been a few years since I've actively researched this stuff so it's getting a little fuzzy around the edges. I'm actively working on ArmstrongRacing's old Project 2ZR Vios track car, currently tackling the wire harnesses in an unnecessary and overly pedantic way. Basically trying to reduce the OEM harnesses to the absolute minimum necessary before embarking on a custom "club level" harness that eliminates the main body ECU/junction/fuse block, key switch and all the loose connectors from the engine bay components that are no longer present.

Either way, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #6
jonny77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Yes, technically the engine should bolt to the transmission (same bolt pattern on the C5X/C6X families) but the starter is sometimes in a different spot. There's a few under-documented 1ZZ swaps around somewhere, nothing with the level of detail that's been done on the 2ZR between ArmstrongRacing, Brushforhire, AtomicHoji, myself and a few others--apologies if I've forgotten anyone!

You actually need all of the mounts from an xD to make it work because the engine sits a little farther forward and lower than the 1NZ. I don't recall where the clearance issues are with the Yaris transmission mounts but I would assume it's the block and/or oil pan against the sub frame. There have been differing levels of success with mixing Yaris and xD mounts but not enough investigation has been done to understand why.

The wiring really is incredibly simple for the 2ZR because they use the same ECU connectors. The xD ECU plugs in to the Yaris main harness. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. AFAIK the 1ZZs all use the older, beige, unsealed ECU connectors so even if you had the engine harness, you'd have to splice in the engine bay/dash connections. Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult. :)

The exhaust needs to be fabbed but you can use a 2ZR Corolla/Matrix/Vibe or xD header as the base and then plumb the rest yourself.

Radiator is the same but you need the xD fill neck and upper hose. Heater core hoses are probably not a concern for you.

Fuel hose from the hard line to the fuel rail should be swapped to the xD, might be able to get away with the Yaris.

I kept the Yaris axles and haven't had any issues in the last 5 years of daily driving and some AutoX/track stuff.

I think that's about it. It's been a few years since I've actively researched this stuff so it's getting a little fuzzy around the edges. I'm actively working on ArmstrongRacing's old Project 2ZR Vios track car, currently tackling the wire harnesses in an unnecessary and overly pedantic way. Basically trying to reduce the OEM harnesses to the absolute minimum necessary before embarking on a custom "club level" harness that eliminates the main body ECU/junction/fuse block, key switch and all the loose connectors from the engine bay components that are no longer present.

Either way, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Wow, thanks for the treasure chest of information! I can't believe you wouldn't think I run the heater, lol, I left it hooked up in case I needed extra cooling because that radiator is a joke. What I really should've done is left the AC lines on it since the compressor is still on the motor. I could have fed a duct to my helmet to keep from fogging my glasses waiting in the staging area....
Old 07-06-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
jonny77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
I don't know what the rules you run under are, but you might look at user RomanDave's efforts with individual throttle bodies. He had these on 2NZ, and the power gain from 4000 RPM up was impressive.
I wish I could get away with individual throttle bodies, but don't think so. I need to find 40hp and more importantly torgue or I've gotta swap engines. The INZFE really has a problem at 4000rpm. If I could get rid of the limiter and get the RPM up it would help some. I thought about changing the cams and building a standalone ECM, but it may be throwing money and time away. We're in the middle of the season and It's obvious I should've built a corolla with a 1ZZ. I may try injectors and a 1ZZ throttle body with a new ECM.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #8
AnnaMia
I've made a post!

Drives: none
How does one start such a career. I've always wanted to ride this and have a crowd cheer me!
AnnaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:07 AM   #9
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Now that's one legendary Yaris! Nice build
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote