Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Mustang5

Drives: Mustang Mach 1
New guy with a lot of questions- Yaris L

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am looking for an econobox car for a DD. I am considering a base Fiesta or 3 door Yaris L with no frills. I also want the car to be capable of taking a long trip in. Its been a long time since I owned a Toyota product. My older ones were really good but I understand they have slipped in quality over the last several years. Ford has improved a lot but they are not without their issues either. I want the best bang for the buck. I keep cars a long time and drive them till there is not much so longevity is a big concern.

I have yet to find a Yaris at my local dealer and the sales guy said no discounts what so ever. Ha! I know there is not much margin in a car like this but I am patient.

I have been reading the forum and see where some get over 40mpg. Im not a hyper miler and just drive them. I am single so space is not a big issue though it looks quite a bit smaller than the Fiesta. I do like the 3 door better. I just wish you could get cruise on the base car. How is Toyotas quality of late? Is this car built in Japan? Its priced 1K over the Fiesta to start with and Im counting every penny. I have not been able to drive either mainly because you cant find a manual Fiesta. Do you think a manual Yaris will be hard to find? Its amazing to me that anybody would want an auto in a car like this but I guess Im in the minority.

I would appreciate any honest comments. Thanks.
Mustang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Still Learning

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5 View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am looking for an econobox car for a DD. I am considering a base Fiesta or 3 door Yaris L with no frills. I also want the car to be capable of taking a long trip in. Its been a long time since I owned a Toyota product. My older ones were really good but I understand they have slipped in quality over the last several years. Ford has improved a lot but they are not without their issues either. I want the best bang for the buck. I keep cars a long time and drive them till there is not much so longevity is a big concern.

I have yet to find a Yaris at my local dealer and the sales guy said no discounts what so ever. Ha! I know there is not much margin in a car like this but I am patient.

I have been reading the forum and see where some get over 40mpg. Im not a hyper miler and just drive them. I am single so space is not a big issue though it looks quite a bit smaller than the Fiesta. I do like the 3 door better. I just wish you could get cruise on the base car. How is Toyotas quality of late? Is this car built in Japan? Its priced 1K over the Fiesta to start with and Im counting every penny. I have not been able to drive either mainly because you cant find a manual Fiesta. Do you think a manual Yaris will be hard to find? Its amazing to me that anybody would want an auto in a car like this but I guess Im in the minority.

You might want to check into the Fiesta a little closer. I have been reading that there are quality issues with it. As for the Yaris, I have a 2007 so I can't comment on the 2012 model but this is my first Toyota and I love the car. Great gas mileage, easy to drive, easy to park, and easy to work on. I am 6'5" and fit into the car easily, so don't let the fact that the car is small deter you. I am hooked on the car. And as you can see from many other posts here, the cars last forever if you take care of them properly.
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Mustang5

Drives: Mustang Mach 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Learning View Post
You might want to check into the Fiesta a little closer. I have been reading that there are quality issues with it. As for the Yaris, I have a 2007 so I can't comment on the 2012 model but this is my first Toyota and I love the car. Great gas mileage, easy to drive, easy to park, and easy to work on. I am 6'5" and fit into the car easily, so don't let the fact that the car is small deter you. I am hooked on the car. And as you can see from many other posts here, the cars last forever if you take care of them properly.
The Fiesta has issues with the dual clutch powershift transmission but I want a manual anyway. Otherwise, it seems to be pretty solid. Im going to check into a Hyundai Accent also. It might just be the best bang for the buck of all.
Mustang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:

Most of Toyota's "recent issues" turned out to be a bunch of fluff, just saying. Not saying they haven't had an issue or two, but check AutoBeef, TruDelta, CarSurvey, Consumer Reports...Toyota has amoung the fewest issues and one of the highest owner loyalties in the biz...I think only Lexus and Porsche score higher in loyalty.

Toyota's 1NZ-FE, the engine in the Echo, and all US Yaris models is one of the most trouble-free and long-lived (durable) engines ever produced. There is a guy on YT with a sedan w/over 400k miles w/no major issues. It's been in production since 1999 (? Someone correct me if I'm wrong), so what bugs there were (if any?) are long ironed out.

Ford's little 1.6 in the Fiesta is made in Brazil, I think, and they have been having some teething issues with it in the NA market...namely oil leaks (check FiestaFaction). Just putting that out there.

The 1NZ-FE also has a timing chain to the Fiesta's timing belt--less maintenance for the Yaris.

I am a very big fan of the Fiesta, but not the North American version--they denied us the gorgeous hatch the EU and Aussies got. Don't get me started on the bumpers!

That said, the sedan (Fiesta) looks pretty fleet-worthy, but this is all in personal taste.

The Yaris is indeed built in Japan still, for those who care. I know I do. Of all the vehicles (car and motorcycle) I have owned (10 in all so far), those that were "Made In Japan" have offered me next to no headaches. My two cents.

Resale values on the Yaris are much higher than the Ford, even after say, ten years on the road...you will get more of your money back.

The interior of the Fiesta is indeed much nicer, and it (IMHO) drives a little better...but it's still not enough for me. If I bought the Ford, I would still have gnawing questions in the back of my mind after the warranty runs out. I have no worries with the Yaris--it's simple, economical, honest transportation. And the new one is much-improved over the old one.

I've driven both and I'm choosing the '12 Yaris 3-door stick for my first new car in two months. Nothing against the Fiesta, but Ford could have done a lot better with the U.S. version, IMHO.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The Fiesta is the more fun and stylish car, however, the Yaris will be the long term better investment. We have more than a few examples of Yaris's running great with 400~500,000 miles. The Yaris barely ever needs servicing. Mine hasn't seen anything other than oil changes with 117,000 miles. Runs/feels exactly as it did on day one.

Yaris is more spacious inside, than the Fiesta, especially in the back. So if you think the Fiesta is bigger, you'd be wrong. The Fiesta also has much less cargo space.

The Accent is a good value but long haul, Toyota can't be beat.

It basically comes down to what your personal priorities are. Drive all 3 as well as others. Think about how long and how many miles you want to get out of it. If economics and long term dependability is the priority though, I'd have to strongly recommend the Yaris.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Have you test drove a 2012 MAZDA 2 Sport with the 5 speed manual ? If not , give it a try . They shaved 220 pounds off it this year . The shifting is very precise and the clutch is smooth as silk . They start at less than $14,500 . Have seen them for $13,900 . Good luck on your purchase .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I don't know about the 2012 but I take my 2011 Yaris to Vegas regularly and even with the louder Tanabe exhaust, it is quite comfortable, given its size and classification. It's no Lexus LS460 but I don't get too tired even after 3 hours of driving. With two people and three days worth of luggage, it handles the grades. It does get pushed around by wind (as in the wind storm last night) but that is inevitable because of its light weight and relative tallness (it's the shortest yet tallest car I own).

As for cruise control, the 2nd gen Yaris' cruise control was plug-n-play. All you had to do was go to your local dealer and buy a crusie control controller and bolt it in. I would guess the 2012 is the same so you could order a base model and then install just the cruise...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
For a discount try turecar.com, I'm getting 889 off my base yaris that way.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am looking for an econobox car for a DD. I am considering a base Fiesta or 3 door Yaris L with no frills. I also want the car to be capable of taking a long trip in. Its been a long time since I owned a Toyota product. My older ones were really good but I understand they have slipped in quality over the last several years. Ford has improved a lot but they are not without their issues either. I want the best bang for the buck..
im a long time toyota loyalist, so i think i say the following with some objectivity. you mentioned bang fot the buck, so here goes:

ive been looking hard at the new yaris and all the other subcompacts out there. imo, the '12 accent hatch gs is not only the best value, but they could have justified asking more for it than the other cars in the class.

compared to the yaris:

a much less cheap looking interior
compact sized interior volume
bettter mpg while delivering alot more power
a much crisper shifter
more refined feeling powertrain
considerably quieter regarding road/engine noise
6 speed manual that keeps the engine at 2750 rpm's at 70 mph
overall feels closer to a class up vs the yaris.

$15,400 hatch gets you power windows/locks/mirrors/ac, keyless entry, 6 speaker stereo, AC, satellite radio, split rear seats (vs bench seat in thew L yaris)

for me personally, there is no way to justify the yaris over this. it just feels like way more car in every aspect at almost the same cost. 10 years ago i would have bought the toyota just because it was a toyota, but those days are gone.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote