Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #37
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
YB is a good guy, he should reply back direct with a list of vendor prices like he has done for myself and others in the past.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #38
Wayside

Drives: 07 yaris 5spd sdn
This is definitely a great DIY. $80 for the Redline counterpart does seem a little steep.

One thing I will say is that the way the Redline unit mounts looks a lot more professional.
Having the cylinder run the length of the hood seems to give more of a factory look then having it run the length of the engine compartment.

Maybe it’s just me???
Wayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #39
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

The redline kit is just as easy to... ahem... cough....copy!.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #40
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
This is definitely a great DIY. $80 for the Redline counterpart does seem a little steep.

One thing I will say is that the way the Redline unit mounts looks a lot more professional.
Having the cylinder run the length of the hood seems to give more of a factory look then having it run the length of the engine compartment.

Maybe it’s just me???
IMO the Redline kit is a good buy.....and $80 isn't a bad price, if you're in the business there has to be a markup, or you won't be there for long. Actually Redline would have to charge more if they had to custom make brackets. The purpose of this DIY is to show everyone that the low tech items can be done by most anyone that wants to aquire the pieces on their own....plus to show an alternative mounting method that wouldn't require drilling panels of your car.

And Chris had a comment about ...ahem...copying. Patents and copyrights are a little more complex than simply buying readily available parts and puting them togeather. Something that is low tech can be easily built by anyone that will take the few minutes required to search for the individual items. Sometimes the kit dealers can sell cheaper than you can buy the individual pieces by buying in mass quantities, just not in this case.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #41
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
And Chris had a comment about ...ahem...copying. Patents and copyrights are a little more complex than simply buying readily available parts and puting them togeather. Something that is low tech can be easily built by anyone that will take the few minutes required to search for the individual items. Sometimes the kit dealers can sell cheaper than you can buy the individual pieces by buying in mass quantities, just not in this case.

FYI - I built mine the same as theirs with parts gathered from the local auto parts store, for under 30 bucks.

"Low tech?" Dont make a hood lift sound like rocket science.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 PM   #42
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
great diy. will start looking for the parts tomorow. thanks!
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #43
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
FYI - I built mine the same as theirs with parts gathered from the local auto parts store, for under 30 bucks.

"Low tech?" Dont make a hood lift sound like rocket science.
That's exactly what I mean.....hood lift is very low tech. And like you say Chris, their method is cheaper/easier than mine, just purchase the parts and drill a couple holes. I just don't like holes in my Black Betty.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #44
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
That's exactly what I mean.....hood lift is very low tech. And like you say Chris, their method is cheaper/easier than mine, just purchase the parts and drill a couple holes. I just don't like holes in my Black Betty.
Sorry, I miss understood.