Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Car/engine shake when releasing the clutch pedal

kind of weird... at the friction point when the clutch is being released the engine starts shaking quite a lot... did anyone else experience the same ?
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
ya your not giving it enough gas or to much at it trying to burnout on you
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
what he said, you can't get the car moving by using the clutch alone... Well, you can, actually, but you gotta let it slip very gradually and slowly, and you won't be going very fast at all. Useful in very very slow traffic though!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
so it's normal, just not enough gas... however other cars I tried didn't do the same
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Clutch Judder!
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Either the Yaris needs to be at a 100,000 miles + or something because my friends BMW 3 series doesnt do it and i thas 192,000 miles on it.
Its just not receiving enough gas. It works the same way in reverse too, try it. I use the reverse shaking one to pull out from the garage because I have blind spot on not seeing the car turning the corner.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Hey mon ami(e), give it a bit more gas... it won't break... and it should accelerate without any shudder.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
Edd

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Either the Yaris needs to be at a 100,000 miles + or something because my friends BMW 3 series doesnt do it and i thas 192,000 miles on it.
Keep in mind that the 3xxi has a lot more torque than the Yaris, so the engine is less likely to stall as you let the clutch up.

The shudder is caused by the stationary clutch plate touching the engines flywheel. Obviously one has to stop or the other must turn. Therefore, the engine slows a little as it tries to move the clutch plate and when it drops below an acceptable idle it shakes. You can do this in any car if you let the clutch up at the right speed. Just take it as the car saying "you are about to stall me".
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
KSIbucky

Every one please relise that this car costs about $10,000 you will get a transmission like this its hard to learn but still fun

Edit: I'm not saying its a bad transmission its just weird because people grow up driving cars that are meant for gettin it done this car is meant to get it done cleanly and cheaply (gas wise) so you have low idle and delay throttle
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)

Last edited by KSIbucky; 07-17-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:22 AM   #10
Edd

For the most part, the tranny is about the same quality as many cars a class or two (or three) above. Just because it's a cheap car doesn't mean it has a shorter lifespan. Fortunately a manual transmission is fairly simple. It's the automatics that aren't as good in the Yaris as more expensive cars (shift intelligence, number of speeds, shift speed and smoothness).
I do agree that the Yaris has a smaller engine and less low-end torque than many other cars, so it's a bit harder to get moving. It IS lighter, however than cars with bigger engines, so it's not THAT much harder.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
For the most part, the tranny is about the same quality as many cars a class or two (or three) above. Just because it's a cheap car doesn't mean it has a shorter lifespan. Fortunately a manual transmission is fairly simple. It's the automatics that aren't as good in the Yaris as more expensive cars (shift intelligence, number of speeds, shift speed and smoothness).
I do agree that the Yaris has a smaller engine and less low-end torque than many other cars, so it's a bit harder to get moving. It IS lighter, however than cars with bigger engines, so it's not THAT much harder.
Edd... alot of misinformation in your posting!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
Edd

I see what you mean... I posted in a hurry. I meant that while it may be a lesser quality transmission, it will still last just about as long, because it has still been designed to its purpose and still isn't much harder to use.

Everything else in my post is true, but I will elaborate on automatics. They may be similar to the more expensive ones, and may last just as long, but they won't have the technology that cars that cost 3x as much have (as you can imagine). What I was basically saying, was because you're shifting a manual, you're not missing out on much from one standard manual to the next (until you start to compare the engine and clutch).
Old 07-17-2007, 02:03 AM   #13
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
Toyota's C-series transmissions are fabulous transmissions. There is nothing wrong with the Yaris' 5-speed tranny.

These things make the Yaris 5spd seem harder to drive:
-You have to get used to the fact that there is a delay in throttle response.
-The engine idle is very low to save gas.
-The car hardly makes enough power to get moving below 1000 rpm (idle is well below 1000)

If you're having trouble launching, try to press the gas pedal/rev the engine up a little bit before you start releasing the clutch. Remember that the engine will react a little slowly at first when you press the gas, and that it needs to rev up a little before it makes enough power to move the car (without shuddering).

Another way to think of it is that you're letting off the clutch pedal too much/too early. The same fix applies - let the engine get some power first (or slow down your clutch foot).
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:12 AM   #14
KSIbucky

i noticed today that if you keep pushing the gas ALL THE WAY through releasing the cluch even after the friction point it shifts smooth ya don't ride the cluch
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
Old 07-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #15
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIbucky View Post
i noticed today that if you keep pushing the gas ALL THE WAY through releasing the cluch even after the friction point it shifts smooth ya don't ride the cluch
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #16
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
I think you've got buky. These cars are a little tricky at first, but with practice you'll get the hang of it. Progressive pedaling is the trick!
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #17
Irishlass
Goddess

Drives: Absolutely Red LB
and another... give it gas! The car is just a bit tricky at first. I've had many straights but this wants a little extra shot of juice. I choked it a couple of times.

2007 Red Yaris
2005 Red Lotus Elise (moved to VA)
2001 Red Miata
1964 Red Austin Healy Sprite
Irishlass is offline   Reply With Quote