Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
AOBTD (Another one bites the dust)

Well ... ANOTHER Yaris has bit the dust. This time it was some moron who was watching a movie on a PSP while driving, and rear-ended me. The air bags did NOT go off.

I have a question though. The rear bumper is obviously needing to be replaced, but my air bag light is on in my cluster, as well as the AIRBAG OFF light & the seatbelt light for the passenger seat.

The seatbelt light stays on even if the seatbelt is plugged in. If someone sits in the seat, both the AIRBAG ON and AIRBAG OFF light come on at the same time.

I am guessing this has to do with a rear-impact sensor being destroyed, but I am worried now the airbag can go off at any time because of this. My insurance has said if the airbag goes off anytime after the accident I would not be covered for it (which I think is BS), so I am trying not to drive it - but if anyone could give me a suggestion of what this may be caused by I would appreciate it.

And before anyone asks, myself and my girlfriend are OK, but have sore necks and backs but should be fine.

Last edited by devinlamothe; 10-31-2009 at 11:04 AM.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Well ... ANOTHER Yaris has bit the dust. This time it was some moron who was watching a movie on a PSP while driving, and rear-ended me.

Now. The air bags did NOT go off, because I saw him coming up fast so I gunned it just as he hit. If I would have stayed it would have been a lot worse.

I have a question though. The rear bumper is obviously needing to be replaced, but my air bag light is on in my cluster, as well as the AIRBAG OFF light & the seatbelt light for the passenger seat.

The seatbelt light stays on even if the seatbelt is plugged in. If someone sits in the seat, both the AIRBAG ON and AIRBAG OFF light come on at the same time.

I am guessing this has to do with a rear-impact sensor being destroyed, but I am worried now the airbag can go off at any time because of this. My insurance has said if the airbag goes off anytime after the accident I would not be covered for it (which I think is BS), so I am trying not to drive it - but if anyone could give me a suggestion of what this may be caused by I would appreciate it.

And before anyone asks, myself and my girlfriend are OK, but have sore necks and backs but should be fine.
Don't sign anything and see a neurologist ASAP. These soft tissue injuries (the sore necks) can be insidious and take a while to show up. Been there-done that.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
yeah it's just the impact sensor sending an impact signal.

don't worry the air bag will not go off.

same deal with the wife's when we were rear ended. we had to drive it for about 3 days I think, before she went in for repairs.

I would sit in the passenger side seat and the 'seatbelt not on' light and the airbag light (all in that little spot) would stay on and the seatbelt light would blink but not beep. was just the cars way of stating "impact occurred check, repair and reset system"

the SRS system will not activate the airbags unless the front sensors send an impact signal.

YOU WILL BE FINE. the only thing I'd be worried about is the fact that now they won't go off if you get hit again lol (kinda stupid but humorous)
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Don't sign anything and see a neurologist ASAP. These soft tissue injuries (the sore necks) can be insidious and take a while to show up. Been there-done that.
Well I hit a deer a few weeks ago (on a bad luck streak it would seem ) with the g/f's car and went through the same thing. We still have the medication we were prescribed from last time. The soreness went away within a week, along with hot showers and hot patches.

We are young and will be fine :P
Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
yeah it's just the impact sensor sending an impact signal.

don't worry the air bag will not go off.

same deal with the wife's when we were rear ended. we had to drive it for about 3 days I think, before she went in for repairs.

I would sit in the passenger side seat and the 'seatbelt not on' light and the airbag light (all in that little spot) would stay on and the seatbelt light would blink but not beep. was just the cars way of stating "impact occurred check, repair and reset system"

the SRS system will not activate the airbags unless the front sensors send an impact signal.

YOU WILL BE FINE. the only thing I'd be worried about is the fact that now they won't go off if you get hit again lol (kinda stupid but humorous)
Thanks for the info. I'm glad that is the case, then, because I had my g/f sit in the back seat on the way home just in case the airbag decided to shoot out lol.

Not good that it won't go off if in another accident though ... but I am getting a rental car in the morning and dropping it off at the repair shop as well.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon I hate driving rentals.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Glad your ok.

What the hell is wrong with people? Driving is not an activity that is multitasking friendly. My ass would be seriously fried if someone destroyed my car doing something as stupid as watching a movie while driving. If I was well enough to get out of my car someone would have there hands full. This kind of foolishness kills people on a regular basis. Someone needs a 1 year license suspension to think things over.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Driving the car shouldnt take any more multitasking then a quick glance at the NAVI, and a quick glance at the speedometer when need be.

All other times, your eyes should be on the road, and everything around/behind you.

I see accidents atleast once a week, which is freeky. But I also see tons of times near misses, because people are on the phone, or looking down, or not looking at all.

Just the other day in the rain, Im making a left at a big intersection, when the guy ahead of me decided he wanted to get in fast, he never came to a stop until it was almost too late. My ABS kicked in, and he stoped 2 feet from my car, and obviously I cursed him out and I wanted to kick his ass because he was coming straight at me, how in the world do you not see that! I mean hello look ahead before you put gas!!!!!!

And today for instance, Im coming to a stop at a red light, and on the right someone making a strange turn out of a parking lot, almost hits the side of my car. I blew the horn, and what do you know? A duchebag on a cellphone not paying attention.

sighs............
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote