Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Help Me Find The Right Clutch

I need help finding the right clutch. I want a clutch where i can basically push the pedal in an inch or half an inch and I can shift. I just bought the car and I'm picking it up tomorrow but on the test drive I hated the clutch. I want it to feel like a 350z clutch or even rsx... I need a firm clutch. What's good and reliable? Also Does the clutch have spring settings or can I get a different clutch spring too so it's not so floppy?

I've looked around and so far I've seen a spec clutch and trd clutch(on toyota's website)
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
the car is a yaris...not a 350z or rsx.... ive got a comp clutch st. 2 clutch and a spec flywheel and i still have to press it in all the way. its something you will have to deal with.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

rofl... so what's the point of a load increase. I saw an Act 6 puck clutch ("heavy duty"), this NTS stage 4, and a extedy. Any of these better than stock for what I'm looking for?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Exedy Stage I here, twitchy on the street but awesome for racing.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

is the pedal stiffer than normal and the engagement point shorter with the Exedy garm?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

yes.

But not 1 inch, doubt you're going to find that for the Yaris.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

lol... ok I guess not... would you say it's at least half way instead of 75% depression on the pedal?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
I wonder if this could be done with some sort of pedal mod. Shorten the cable, lengthen the lever or something... Not really sure if it would get what you are looking for, but just an idea off the top of my head...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

I'm pretty sure the pedal floppiness is due to the spring and I'd be happy with only a 50% engagement point. Also Maybe a better clutch fluid or like you said, it could be the cable length. I'm going to do my research and try and get it to even be close to a civic si or rsx clutch.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

The Exedy clutch engages more towards the top than the bottom. Most performance clutches should operate that way - my tC is the same way (Clutchmasters Stage 2).
Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
clutch system is hydraulic... so a large piston on the pedal side would be required (or smaller on the clutch side)...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
yup, clutch itself will not alter the amount of throw required.

i'm on a Spec Stage 3 pressure plate and an unsprung 4 puck clutch and i still have to push to the floor. racer, just put a big block of wood on your clutch pedal so it feels like you're not fully depressed when you are
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I don't know the technical side as well as I should, but the clutches in my two cars both engage at a higher point than stock (especially the Exedy in the Yaris).

Neither car had anything changed (pistons) but the clutch itself. I can't explain it, just saying what is so.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
ztlonewolf

Drives: 2008 red 3 dr S coupe
I never push my clutch pedal to the floor and it shifts just fine,i push the pedal just past where the clutch disengages
ztlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
or just learn to clutchless shift... that saves all this hassle of making clutch smaller rubbish

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #16
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

thanks for all the info guys. Defiantly going to get an Exedy clutch and probably replace the hydraulic slave cylinder if it's still not to my liking. One again thak you for all you knowledgeable people on this site, well mainly eTiMaGo and cali. You guys are like the yaris gods, rofl.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #17
Crims0n5
Need More Mods!

Drives: 09 Flint Mica S Sedan!
Send a message via AIM to Crims0n5
so theres no way to adjust the pedal itself?

Giggity, Giggity
Crims0n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
cianuro_MIVEC
I've made a post!

Drives: '05 Lancer MIVEC and '06 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crims0n5 View Post
so theres no way to adjust the pedal itself?
Yes there is, and it will shorten the throw, but it will be closer to the floor instead of farther(like RacerFreakXXX wants it).

First of all, most recent cars have hydraulic clutches. This means that you don't adjust a cable, you adjust the push rod from the clutch pump.

I'll put the easiest way I found, using a 2006-2007 Toyota Yaris:

There are 2 dash trims under the steering wheel that you'll need to remove. The one right under the steering wheel pops out and it has 2 screws behind it. Then you'll see 2 more screws for a black trim that sits under the one you just removed. Remove that as well. Now you have better access to the clutch pedal.

1. Remove the clutch pedal. It's held in place by a 14mm bolt(stud, screw, whatever you wanna call it) with nut, so you'll need 2 14mm wrenches to remove it. Once the bolt is removed, start pulling the pedal down and towards yourself while holding the push rod so that it comes out of the pedal. Be careful with the spring, don't lose it. The bolt goes through a metal tube with plastic spacers, so be sure not to loose those either. This is what puts the pedal back in position when driving. With all that removed, now you have the push rod completely visible and accessible for you to work on it.

2. You'll see that the push rod falls in place with the pedal using a ball shaped piece. Following the ball shaped part, you have a flat part where you can use an adjustable wrench. Use an adjustable wrench to hold this part and a 12mm wrench for the counter nut that's at the other end of the push rod. While holding the adjustable wrench, turn the 12mm wrench clockwise, referenced from where you're sitting while looking at it. This will loosen the counter nut and now you have free movement on the end that goes to the pedal.

3. To adjust, turn the ball shaped end clockwise to make it shorter or counterclockwise to make it longer(the longer it is, the more wear you'll do to the clutch disc) while holding on the push rod so that you know the ball shaped part moves free from the push rod. Now, you'll probably have to do this by trial and error because the pedal is not installed. In my case, I installed a new clutch, so I moved the counter nut close to the end of the threads in the push rod so that I would get the less travel possible from the clutch(this will assist you in faster shifting). This might not be your case, or not the way you want the pedal to feel.

4. Do the adjustment and put the pedal back in place with the bolt, but don't put the nut. You just need the pedal in place to try it, and make sure the ball shaped part falls where it goes in the pedal. Try to take off, without actually taking off, right where your car is standing (might wanna do this with the E-Brake on). Check if the travel is to your liking. Remove the pedal again if you need to adjust some more. If not, then just finish installing the pedal and put back the dash trims you removed.

5. Now you have an adjusted Yaris clutch pedal.
cianuro_MIVEC is offline   Reply With Quote