Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
THEPATRIOT

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4 door sedan
Motor oil question???

Not to beat a dead horse,but one simple question.My "07 Yaris(new to me)has 44K miles.I'll be going to synthetic with the next oil change.It's had dealer oil changes every 3K.I'll be going with Mobil-1 or Amsoil.Money wise the Mobil can be had cheap at WallMart.I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time,would it make a huge difference between these two oils as far as longevity?
THEPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
None whatsoever. Either will be as good as it gets. You can find "oil war" threads elsewhere on the forum, bottom line is as long as it is full synthetic, it is golden.

Mobil-1 can be had even cheaper at Sam's Club.

Another issue would be what filter you use. Some say avoid Fram, Purolator, Bosch like the plague, but some of the their premium offerings are great filters. I stick with the OEM filters from Toyota because at $5 its cheaper than premium brand name filters elsewhere, even though I can't say if it is better.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPATRIOT View Post
Not to beat a dead horse,but one simple question.My "07 Yaris(new to me)has 44K miles.I'll be going to synthetic with the next oil change.It's had dealer oil changes every 3K.I'll be going with Mobil-1 or Amsoil.Money wise the Mobil can be had cheap at WallMart.I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time,would it make a huge difference between these two oils as far as longevity?

Any of the major brands will get the job done. I doubt that there is any real difference in regards to engine longevity. If you want to use Mobil 1, that's a good choice.

I've still think that conventional is fine, but I keep getting synthetic on sale. If you're on a budget, the Quaker State synthetic is a really good oil for the money.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
for the average consumer and average driving habits, any name brand synthetic will be fine. Only in high performance, high stress environments does the selection become more critical. I personally run either BMW full synthetic (German Castrol, we used to have the BMW dealership) or Castrol Syntec. I can get either for 5 bucks a quart generally. Both have done well for me with the Yaris.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I really enjoy using Pennzoil Platinum. Cheaper than Mobil 1 yet it does the trick very well. The Yaris engine seems to love it as well.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
You say that "now" you would like to keep it for a long time, but the reality is you won't have it as long as you think. So don't waste your $ on synthetic. Just buy the cheapest oil you can find and you will be fine.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
You'll see with the U.O.A. for 2010 3 door ( http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34042 ) that the TOYOTA oil filter does a good job of filtration at $3.50 from a TOYO parts department . As for oil , most major brand conventional and synthetic oils do fine . 3,000 mile O.C.s are a thing of the past , most car manufactuers are going to 7,500 or 10,000 mile intervals . Been doing that for years in Europe . As for those with a warranty little less than 5,000 mile interval is a must . Got the PENNZOIL for less than $2.25 a quart . So , looking at a $14 D.I.Y. oil change .

Last edited by Hershey; 04-19-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
TOYOTA conventional oils are good choice as well . They can be bought for less than $3 a quart . Think it's specially formulated by MOBIL for TOYOTA . So I read somewhere .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
THEPATRIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by "G" View Post
You say that "now" you would like to keep it for a long time, but the reality is you won't have it as long as you think. So don't waste your $ on synthetic. Just buy the cheapest oil you can find and you will be fine.
Just curious,how do you know my future??? As for the others,thanks for the info!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
It's a Yaris. Not a sports car. Conventional is cheaper and perfectly fine.
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Whatever oil you chose, stick with toyota filters. Someone did a cutaway of a bunch of filters on here somewhere and the toyota filter was the best looking out of the bunch. It had the biggest filter medium inside it and was better constructed.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
"G"

Toyota filters are good as well as Denso.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Regular manufacturer oil change intervals will keep that engine running well past the time when the body is covered in rust. so going overboard with the increased oil change schedule is just throwing your money away.
The only thing the oil does is lubricate the Big ends,small ends ,rings, cam shaft and valve guides, items that most people never have a problem with in the normal life of the car.
Rust is more your enemy, getting the car rust proofed or oil sprayed will be what adds years to the life of your car,Up here in Canada there is a plethora of outlets dedicated to getting the protection on to your car.
I use a yearly spray from a chain called Krown,cost about $100 per application., in the USA Carwell seems to be the place for corrosion control
http://www.carwell.com/rustcopshop.htm

If no Carwell closeby check your yellow pages under "Rust and corrosion control"
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
"G"

Exactly ^^ Or buy a winter beater.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
THEPATRIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Regular manufacturer oil change intervals will keep that engine running well past the time when the body is covered in rust. so going overboard with the increased oil change schedule is just throwing your money away.
The only thing the oil does is lubricate the Big ends,small ends ,rings, cam shaft and valve guides, items that most people never have a problem with in the normal life of the car.
Rust is more your enemy, getting the car rust proofed or oil sprayed will be what adds years to the life of your car,Up here in Canada there is a plethora of outlets dedicated to getting the protection on to your car.
I use a yearly spray from a chain called Krown,cost about $100 per application., in the USA Carwell seems to be the place for corrosion control
http://www.carwell.com/rustcopshop.htm

If no Carwell closeby check your yellow pages under "Rust and corrosion control"
I'm a fanatic about keeping rust away,esp. in winter.I'm always at the hand held car wash cleaning the underside for a LONG time.People look at me like .I just laugh at their rusty/crusty car underneath...
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #16
Slipangle

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I've always used the 15,000 mile extended protection Mobil 1 because I've always put a lot of miles on my Yaris. I'm now at 112,00 miles on the car and just did an oil change. Time has kinda flown by and money has been a bit tight since, so the last time I changed oil was around 88,000 miles. My first oil change was at 5000 miles and it was conventional oil done at Wal-Mart because at the time I had started a new job and hadn't relocated yet, beyond that I changed oil at intervals between 12k to 16k. I've used Purolator or Mobil 1 oil filters.

So take that as you will, I don't think I'd recommend the 24,000 mile oil change interval I just went through, but I'd be comfortable with 15,000 miles.
Slipangle is offline   Reply With Quote