Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
closerstep
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Vitz RS 2001
Whirring engine noise normal?

Hey all, I'm new here and have just purchased a second hand 2001 Vitz RS and love it to bits! I'm pretty fussy though and can hear a bit of constant noise under acceleration and a little during decceleration in all gears. Its kind of a scratchy whirring/gentle growl/rattle/chain noise(?). It is most audible under load. I can't hear it when revving in neutral.

It doesn't seem lacking in power or anything. The car itself does have a larger, 'silenced' exhaust that still puts out a fair bit of drone, but the noise itself seems to come from the engine bay. I feel like it gets louder after an extensive drive as well.

Are the 1NZ-FE's typically noisy? I'm coming from a quiet and gutless GA16DE. The Vitz does have a loose bearing in the clutch that rattles at idle and a belt that seems a bit loud when it is cold but other than that I don't know of any other issues. Thoughts? Cheers!
closerstep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1nz-fe, engine noises., noise, vitz rs