Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
KwonSau

Drives: 2007 LB Meteorite Metallic
srs / airbag light after head unit install?

I plan on replacing my head unit soon, but in the manual it says that you need to talk to your dealer about a new radio install, or it could cause problems with the srs / airbag system. WTF does the radio have to do with the airbags??? My '02 cavalier was the same way - people who were installing aftermarket headunits would sometimes relocate the stock unit in the trunk, so that it could still do whatever it needed to do to make the airbags function. I'd expect this type of crap from GM (they probably saved $0.008/unit), but I am wary to install a new head unit in my Yaris now.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the SRS system after a head unit install? Thanks again for your help. This forum is the best
KwonSau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
To be honest, it's just a lawyer thing. When I bought my Yaris, I asked for the dealer to not put in a deck(they are shipped without a deck) and put in some accessories instead.

Airbag system seems to be working fine.(Haven't tested it)

Just don't mess with the bundle of wires leading to the area just above the glove box.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
The radio is in no way associated with the SRS system. Perhaps they just want you to be aware there are important wires behind the deck. Airbag wires are always sheathed in yellow plastic so they are easily identified.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwonSau View Post
I plan on replacing my head unit soon, but in the manual it says that you need to talk to your dealer about a new radio install, or it could cause problems with the srs / airbag system. WTF does the radio have to do with the airbags??? My '02 cavalier was the same way - people who were installing aftermarket headunits would sometimes relocate the stock unit in the trunk, so that it could still do whatever it needed to do to make the airbags function. I'd expect this type of crap from GM (they probably saved $0.008/unit), but I am wary to install a new head unit in my Yaris now.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the SRS system after a head unit install? Thanks again for your help. This forum is the best
really what page/section of the manual does it say this???
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
KwonSau

Drives: 2007 LB Meteorite Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
really what page/section of the manual does it say this???
It's in the yellow warning boxes in the section about the SRS system. It's the same warning box that says "don't install aftermarket suspension compontents, don't change the seats, don't mess with the sensors on the seats, don't masturbate while thinking about the airbags, etc...."
KwonSau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwonSau View Post
It's in the yellow warning boxes in the section about the SRS system. It's the same warning box that says "don't install aftermarket suspension compontents, don't change the seats, don't mess with the sensors on the seats, don't masturbate while thinking about the airbags, etc...."
wow it does says this, anyway, many here have changed out there stereos no problems on that mod...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
BlueLiftback

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue 5-speed L/B
I bet I know what happened...

I did it myself two weeks ago when I was changing some wiring from the head unit.

When you dissassemble the dash, you have to remove the edging that houses the passenger airbag on/off lights. When you disconnect that, the SRS light comes on. It spooked me too until I realized what it was.

My bet: whoever put it back together neglected to reconnect that wire.

Try it
BlueLiftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
skigil

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
I have to say..I've never masturbated thinking about my airbags....

lol.
skigil is offline   Reply With Quote