Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Speaking of Walmart, since I've had to replace the batteries in two other vehicles already this year, and expect to have to do the same in Sprocket; I bought a small 9v battery device from Walmart that plugs into the cigarette lighter that keeps enough power to the car to prevent the ECU from resetting, the radio from erasing all the presets, etc.

Cost about seven bucks.

Cheers! M2
Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
DanMC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
Hi,

I am hoping to find out what sort of information do I need when purchasing an aftermarket battery? I have searched and people are telling me don't waste money on OEM battery but instead get a good big name one. I have made a choice for a brand but since there are so many batteries out there, how can I tell which one fits in our Yaris?

07 HB.

Thanks
Optima makes some of the best batteries period...and its an AGM...i have used Optima (and it's Canadian Tire "replica") for years and i can say they are durable and take abuse like crazy. I have one (Red Top/starting battery) in our Honda Pilot and one in our Lund fishing boat (with two Honda outboards...Blue Top/Marine grade) and they are just great,i wouldn't buy anything else.
Dan
DanMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Speaking of Walmart, since I've had to replace the batteries in two other vehicles already this year, and expect to have to do the same in Sprocket; I bought a small 9v battery device from Walmart that plugs into the cigarette lighter that keeps enough power to the car to prevent the ECU from resetting, the radio from erasing all the presets, etc.

Cost about seven bucks.

Cheers! M2
Good to know.....and the Wal-Mart battery I've now had for 2 months and a couple of days is performing very well.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
bridgyslim

Drives: 2008 Toyota Vitz RS
anyone know whats the recommended battery size as in VOLTS: ?
AMP: ? AMP HR: ? . for a 2008 Toyota Vitz RS.
bridgyslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMC View Post
Optima makes some of the best batteries period...and its an AGM...i have used Optima (and it's Canadian Tire "replica") for years and i can say they are durable and take abuse like crazy. I have one (Red Top/starting battery) in our Honda Pilot and one in our Lund fishing boat (with two Honda outboards...Blue Top/Marine grade) and they are just great,i wouldn't buy anything else.
Dan
Be careful - crap tire batteries are known to explode.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
DanMC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
Thanks Betrivent, i didn't know about crap tire batteries can exolode, the one i bought it was made in Spain not in china but you never know,thanks .
I do like to stick to Optima but even they have moved from US to Mexico...so one can only hope that the quality is still there...BTW watch out when it .comes to wallyworld because i have heard that enything made for walmart no mater what brand or product,wallyworld put so much pressure on manufacturers to make crap as cheap as possible.Anther words buy stuff someplace else and get the full quality behind the name !
DanMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMC View Post
Thanks Betrivent, i didn't know about crap tire batteries can exolode, the one i bought it was made in Spain not in china but you never know,thanks .
I do like to stick to Optima but even they have moved from US to Mexico...so one can only hope that the quality is still there...BTW watch out when it .comes to wallyworld because i have heard that enything made for walmart no mater what brand or product,wallyworld put so much pressure on manufacturers to make crap as cheap as possible.Anther words buy stuff someplace else and get the full quality behind the name !
I've heard that as well, but have only found that to be true with their shoes. I've heard employees and other customers say not to buy their meat (not an issue since I don't know how to cook). I wouldn't buy their in house baked goods either. However, I did have a set of their tires on my Yaris and they lasted about 11k beyond the 60k rating.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #26
AGlobalThreat

Drives: 08 Sedan & 11 5-door
I've had an Odyssey pc680 in my 2008 sedan for over 2 years. It was in my 87 supra for 5 years before that. I bought it used over 7 years ago. I've put it through everything, even left it dead for months once. I've tried to jump someones car with it, it got it to crank but they were also impatient and wouldn't give it any time to charge. It is an amazing battery, you save a lot of weight and space from the top of the front end when switching from a standard sized battery. It has never given me any problems, any time it didn't work perfect it was because I killed it. A normal battery would have simply died too. As soon as the standard battery in my 2011 yaris gives me any problem, I'm putting an odyssey pc680 in it too. They are excellent bang for buck and they will make regular batteries seem completely obsolete. When you factor in how often a regular battery is replaced and it's cost, the odyssey ends up being cheaper in the end. I'll never go back to standard batteries.

My other newer one (over 2 years old):

Last edited by AGlobalThreat; 11-17-2012 at 08:25 PM.
AGlobalThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #27
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
I'm gonna make this easy for myself, and several others here,

Hey Scott, just curious, what brand batteries do you have in your YARI?).
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #28
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
My OEM battery finally gave up the ghost today .... it is TOTALLY dead, it doesn't even have enough power to run the interior light in my yaris. I had to get a boost today .. and turning on my headlights the car just stalled.

Tried to get it to the dealership (after boosting it again) and it just died on me when I had to slow down in traffic. Once the car got to lower rpm's ... it just died. So finally had to hook a booster pack up to the battery as the battery was not accepting a charge by the alternator. I was told that my battery was frozen ... and I would need a new one.

So ... now time to get a new battery. My car is now sitting at the dealership awaiting a new battery tomorrow.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #29
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

But.. if your engine is running it shouldn't stall like that. I actually think it's your alternator. Do a test, start the car with a jump, then disconnect a lead off the battery. If the car dies, it's your alternator gone. If it doesn't, it's your battery.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #30
edmscan

Replaced the battery today .. and its all working fine. The battery was totally shot .. the dealership tested it and it was dead. Like really dead.

So .. 121$ later and I am good to go. The battery was the original battery in the car .. so it was 6 years old which around here is amazing life for a battery.

So .. I just hope that the new one lasts that long.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #31
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
But.. if your engine is running it shouldn't stall like that. I actually think it's your alternator. Do a test, start the car with a jump, then disconnect a lead off the battery. If the car dies, it's your alternator gone. If it doesn't, it's your battery.
I will actually go tomorrow to a local business that specializes in batteries and they will test your battery / charging system for free. So .. I will see what they say.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
I would have agreed with you 100% on this before my experience with my Yaris (now I would be about 98% in agreement ). I kept my OEM battery until its dying day, literally (and at 138,000+ miles). I wouldn't have made it even another mile. I thought I was going to have to push the car into the bay at Sears (in Texas). 21,000 miles later I had the same symptoms and it tested out to be the alternator (which I assumed it would be). I was in Minnesota, and (coincidentally) Sears had the best available deal.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 AM   #33
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I would have agreed with you 100% on this before my experience with my Yaris (now I would be about 98% in agreement ). I kept my OEM battery until its dying day, literally (and at 138,000+ miles). I wouldn't have made it even another mile. I thought I was going to have to push the car into the bay at Sears (in Texas). 21,000 miles later I had the same symptoms and it tested out to be the alternator (which I assumed it would be). I was in Minnesota, and (coincidentally) Sears had the best available deal.
So are you saying that my alternator is bad ... and it wasn't the battery ? That would really suck .. as well I just got a new battery. The thing is that I drove my car on Saturday (and it was fine, no problems) and on Monday it was dead. I am going to get my alternator (ie charging system) checked later today .. and I will post the results.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #34
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

just quickly test what I mentioned, all you need is a wrench to undo the terminal. It'll take less than 10 minutes, depending how much charge is in your battery.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #35
edmscan

I went and got my battery / charging system tested today ... and all was good. So .. I have the new OEM battery in my Yaris since yesterday and all appears to be running good.

He hooked up his machine to the battery and it was displaying 13.94 Volts. This was as the car was running at idle. He said my charging system is just fine, and that if my battery is dead it will have symptoms like I just experienced.

So I am happy that I should get another 5 or so years before I have to replace the battery again.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #36
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
So are you saying that my alternator is bad ... and it wasn't the battery ? That would really suck .. as well I just got a new battery. The thing is that I drove my car on Saturday (and it was fine, no problems) and on Monday it was dead. I am going to get my alternator (ie charging system) checked later today .. and I will post the results.
No, I meant that before my experience with my Yaris I would have 100% agreed with Betrivent that your issue is a bad alternator, but that my first experience of the 'alternator like' symptoms ended up being the battery rather than alternator. So, I learned that the symptoms CAN apply to either a battery problem or an alternator problem. Whenever I'd had such symptoms on previous cars, the problem had always been the alternator. When I had the symptoms for the second time on my Yaris (21,000 miles later), the problem was the alternator.