Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #37
edisonfire

Drives: Yaris Hatchback `08
hey guys, i'm not ready for winter yet. I'm looking for new winters and rims for my RS.

Anyone live in the GTA and know of a good place, type of tire, and tire size?

RS comes with 185/60/15 but i got a quote from someone telling me that 185/65/14 would be a good tire size for me yaris
edisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #38
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonfire View Post
hey guys, i'm not ready for winter yet. I'm looking for new winters and rims for my RS.

Anyone live in the GTA and know of a good place, type of tire, and tire size?

RS comes with 185/60/15 but i got a quote from someone telling me that 185/65/14 would be a good tire size for me yaris
anyone make 185-65-14? i have 185-60-14's on my yaris....they work fine (but mine came stock w/ 14's)

14's = cheap rims and tires

if you have to buy steelies, id roll on 14's for sure....
Old 11-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #39
thebarber
daily driver

lol, i takes what i can gets, PK

when my wifes mom had the aveo in montreal she bough stock sized 185-60-14's for it. i commandeered them for the yaris last year. in spring i picked up some snows that a guy w/ an echo hatch was selling.....175-65-14's.....now theyre on the aveo.....

not sure the 10mm is going to make THAT huge of a difference
Old 11-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #40
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
no not a huge difference but from personal experience last winter , i haven't got stuck once with the 175s, btw you want 4 stock bridgestone 4seasons?
lol, 14" oem no seasons? ill pass....i swapped mine w/ crandall on his paseo that he traded for his yaris....now i have his fuzion hri's

i ran 185's last winter and also had no problems...

now if you ran 215 snows....you might see a difference in traction

id be more inclined to run a wider tire with a less open tread if i drove on plowed city streets/highway more often. i find the snows are the yaris SUPER annoyingly loud on the highway since theyre quite open (did 15h from fredericton to niagara falls last weekend....)

you can see the tread im running here:
(and yes, ive replaced the tip since last winter...now its stainless..)
Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #41
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Yeah there's a lot there, but it can't touch Ohio. Seems like over half the state is corn.
don't really see too many corn fields around here, then again I am in one of the bigger cities in Ohio...... but out side the cities there is nothing but corn and soybeans
Old 11-28-2008, 11:52 PM   #42
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
all the things you said about safety are correct, i just see it as hypocritical from the government to pass a law and say they are not included in that law just the regular joe. you have to understand one thing about most Quebec drivers, they rely too much on gadgets and add-ons then on proper driving skills. i regularly see 4X4 SUVs doing 130km/h in a snowstorm then ending up the wrong side up in a ditch.
The 4x4 SUV guys need to remember that once you come off the gas, there's no longer any advantage to having an extra set of of driving wheels. Personally, I tend to use the accelerator to get out of trouble and the 4cyl RAV has a very quick kickdown (when stumping on the gas) which should work in my favour.

It sucks that the government has double standard, normally it's the government vehicle that are the first to make an eco/safty example so the rest can follow. I suspect Quebec most be strapped for cash...perhaps this law is just an excuse for the province to save on their winterizing and clearing the roads. but, If it gets rid of salting, I'm all for it! I hate salted roads! (unless it's up an incline) ....otherwise, the crap totally takes all the fun out of driving
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #43
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
For snow tires, the place I've been going to for the past 20 years is Nantucket Tire & Mag. In Scaroborough. But I'd be surprised it they still have anything. The installed my Yokohama Geolanadar i/t (225/65/17) for $800. I highly recommend these tires if you got an SUV/CUV. Last year, they charged me $340 for a set of 175/65/14 Continental Viking snow tires (installed).
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #44
gboezio

Drives: Yaris 4dr 2008
I'm in total love with my studded tires, but I have found a drawback, sine the average Joe run studless tires when you come to a icy stop rather quickly, watch the rear view mirror, Joe is sliding all wheel locked aiming straight to your behind, now use those studs to pull your arse out of there ASAP
gboezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #45
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo

Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #46
thebarber
daily driver

you can make some extra money plowing peoples driveways, mojo!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 AM   #47
tca4

Drives: Yaris RS (white)
Holy crap richmond has so much snow!?
tca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #48
gboezio

Drives: Yaris 4dr 2008
Snow and later ice storm over east, beautyful tough
gboezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #49
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Did a trip to the interior of BC last Friday and Saturday. Wow. lotsa snow and lotsa fun.

I had to cover up the front vents with cardboard to keep the snow and wind from getting through.
The LSD worked nicely, but when I parked the car overnight at -28 degrees, my clutch and gearbox froze and couldn't get it to move. I was able to get the car started and held the clutch in till it warmed up. Then I was able to get it out of gear and get it driving back to Vancouver where that night I was met with....more snow.

*The tranny and clutch froze since my gear oil was the heaviest weight I could find for the LSD.

Currently I'm using a cheap set of Nexan Snow tires which work pretty good. I don't think they're as good as my Nokians (on the wifes car now) but they're a third of the price. Next year, I'll get a set of Toyo's with my discount.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #50
thebarber
daily driver

hope that duct tape doesnt ruin your paint come spring...
Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #51
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Just got back from a 7-night Caribbean cruise last night and shocked to see so much snow in Richmond and Vancouver!

Our Yaris is lucky as the Element is handling all our transportation needs at the moment.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #52
hop

Drives: 08 Yaris HB manual
at my place we got 4 1/2 feet of snow that added up. On first dump I had to drive from work in nanaimo to home out in shawnigan lake about 3 kms on the road from my house it was getting deeper fast, I was plowing snow with my bumper had snow pile onto my hood. I was pushing on until a part of the road where it gets steep and does a sharp turn at the same time along with my bumper pushing snow, i could not go any further about 1 km from my house.

I have 4 nexen winter tires i got at walmart in Nov. So far i am liking them for the price and the traction you get is awesome i cant say anything about wear i just got them. over the 2 weeks this snow was building up i was driving to work in my yaris i only missed 1 day and that was the next day after i had to park my yaris 1 km from home. I didnt want to go cause they hadnt plowed the road yet and I wanted to play in the first snow fall of the year lol went snowshoeing for 14 kms in the mountains behind where i live.

the second photo is the latest dump, every dump i cleaned the yaris off. Its parked on the road where i live.

fourth pic is of the ford ranger and a bit of the house, the ranger is only 2 wheel drive and is crap in the snow

last pic you can see very well the total snow accumulation, that shed is 10 feet high on the high side after i took the pic i had to dig it off the 2x4s in the roof were cracking.
Attached Images

hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #53
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Awesome pictures Hop. Looks like you can easily get stuck in the snow where you live.

The roads in Richmond are a mess; hope the rain will clear them quickly.
City Hall is definitely doing next to nothing clearing the roads. Wonder where our tax dollars are being spent.