Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
Anybody seriously consider Hyundai Accent Blue?

The only other car I've been considering (in addition to the 3-door manual LB Yaris) is the new base trim level of the Hyundai Accent, called "Blue". This car is supposed to get pretty much exactly the same gas mileage as the Yaris I'm looking at, and it does come with the Hyundai long warranty. It's also several thousand dollars cheaper, partly because it lacks AC and a stereo. It's also not as cute as the Yaris, and probably not as safe, especially in collisions from the side. However, since I am (1) very frugal, (2) primarily interested in a car as just basic reliable transportation, and (3) never use AC here in New England, I've had a hard time ruling out the Accent Blue completely. I could always add an aftermarket stereo to the Accent Blue.

Just wondering if any other frugalistas have been running the same calculations through their heads.

Last edited by rtom; 12-19-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typos
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
I briefly considered the Accent, but it's the reliability after 100,000 miles that concerned me. Also, it requires replacing the timing belt, which is an expensive maintenance item.
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
we were looking at the accent as well for the wife, we went with the Yaris only because of reliability of Toyota.... and the lack of reliability of Hyundai/Kia
Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Hyundai has come a long way but they still got a ways to go.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtom View Post
The only other car I've been considering (in addition to the 3-door manual LB Yaris) is the new base trim level of the Hyundai Accent, called "Blue". This car is supposed to get pretty much exactly the same gas mileage as the Yaris I'm looking at, and it does come with the Hyundai long warranty. It's also several thousand dollars cheaper, partly because it lacks AC and a stereo. It's also not as cute as the Yaris, and probably not as safe, especially in collisions from the side. However, since I am (1) very frugal, (2) primarily interested in a car as just basic reliable transportation, and (3) never use AC here in New England, I've had a hard time ruling out the Accent Blue completely. I could always add an aftermarket stereo to the Accent Blue.

Just wondering if any other frugalistas have been running the same calculations through their heads.
I considered the accent when I was shopping. Between not liking it as well when test driving it and timing belt vs. chain piece, I was sold on the Yaris over it.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I considered the accent when I was shopping. Between not liking it as well when test driving it and timing belt vs. chain piece, I was sold on the Yaris over it.
And everyone on yarisworld is glad you did =)
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I've considered the Accent myself until I learned about it's resell value.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
You live in Connecticut and NEVER use the a/c in the summer? You are a nuts! I do not understand why anyone would consider buying a new car without a/c. If you decide a year later that you don't like the car, you will have a very hard time selling it.

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrj View Post
You live in Connecticut and NEVER use the a/c in the summer? You are a nuts! I do not understand why anyone would consider buying a new car without a/c. If you decide a year later that you don't like the car, you will have a very hard time selling it.
Your're right that I am nuts -- I have a very high tolerance for heat and humidity, and a low tolerance for cold. So why the heck am I in Connecticut? Oh yes, I'm nuts.

Also, I am nutty frugal. I would never sell a functional vehicle -- I'll drive my next car into the dust. So resale value isn't really a consideration for me.
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtom View Post
Your're right that I am nuts -- I have a very high tolerance for heat and humidity, and a low tolerance for cold. So why the heck am I in Connecticut? Oh yes, I'm nuts.

Also, I am nutty frugal. I would never sell a functional vehicle -- I'll drive my next car into the dust. So resale value isn't really a consideration for me.
After 100,000 mile reliability ought to be a consideration then.
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Sounds like you really want the Accent. Nothing wrong with that, just don't expect it to be a Toyota. You can pay now, or pay later; that's pretty much scripture. IMHO, the $2K price difference that you will finance-out over the life of the loan is a better deal than the likely-higher total you will pay in big chunks out-of-pocket or with a credit card at the repair shop after the warranty expires. Not sure what the Accent timing belt replacement costs, but I know that most vehicles run $500-700 in labor/parts, often more. Then there is the clutch, alternator, etc.
If you only plan to own it till something expensive breaks, its probably fine.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
TwoBearWisconsin

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB/5, 1996 Miata
Not Accent related, but I have to say it: Up until the time I bought the Yaris, my old Hyundai Elantra was the most trouble free, reliable car I've ever owned. Don't count Hyundai out - they build great cars.
TwoBearWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBearWisconsin View Post
Not Accent related, but I have to say it: Up until the time I bought the Yaris, my old Hyundai Elantra was the most trouble free, reliable car I've ever owned. Don't count Hyundai out - they build great cars.
How many miles?
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
How many miles?
+1, and most modern cars will last 100k relatively problem free if you drive properly and keep up on maintenance. As someone pointed out though, the resale value of a yaris with 100k miles, and a hyundai with 100k miles tells the true tale of long term reliability. I agree they have come a long way, but they still have a ways to go.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
+1, and most modern cars will last 100k relatively problem free if you drive properly and keep up on maintenance. As someone pointed out though, the resale value of a yaris with 100k miles, and a hyundai with 100k miles tells the true tale of long term reliability. I agree they have come a long way, but they still have a ways to go.
yep even my 2003 focus at 99500 miles trouble free.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
coffiend

Drives: 08 Black LB
My girlfriend has an 08 Hyundai accent hatch. I guess on the positive side, it has more leg room and a quieter cabin than the yaris. But to me that's where the one ups on the yaris end.

I would never ever consider trading her Cars and enjoy driving my yaris 100x more.

To me, while the accent might be a decent car... There is really nothing unique about it and to me it's just kind of... Well..Boring, which is one thing that the yaris is DEFINITELY not.

I don't know how you could be disappointed with a more reliable car that has twice the character as well.

Skip the accent is my vote :)
coffiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrj View Post
I live in FL and only use the A/C when other people are in the car. I'd rather drive with the windows open.

As for the difference between the two cars, if you are worried about reliability,
Hyundai's has gone up and Toyota's has gone down. Really isn't much different between the two. You will get a nicer overall car with the Toyota but if minor amenities and additional safety equipment aren't important to you then save the money & buy the Hyundai.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #18
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i live in a toyota family, my mom her entire life has owned 3 cars, all toyotas. the used '80 celica lasted her till about 480xxx km till....well it literally died and said no. lol. then a 88 corolla lasted her 13 years, no clutch replacements and 689xxx km and it still worked, got 2,000 trade in for it (jsut wouldn't start in winter and they wated about $1300 at the time to fix what was wrong) and now an 01 camry XLE v6 that is still kicking (and when i have it, all street races with civics and integeras are owned!! lol, they are modded out to the shit and i kicked ure ass with mommy car!!) lol, with 348, 629km (i could actually read this one exactly, lol) and no unecpected or major repairs, spark plugs have been replaced twice, what a bitch that was, timing belt once and nothing else (tie rod ends need to be done in summer, too cold now)

Now can any other car company live up to that?

the cars before the camry i dont know how they were driven but the camry i promise has been driven hard for at least 2 years

the corolla was in 1 accident, left corner, got owned, car was fixable and family was fine. camry got its shit fucked up 3 times now( in the last 2 years, make the connection if u like....) it got fucked up but it got fixed and everyone was fine.

only concern with toyota's, they are not made for winter..... without winter tires its gonna be a rush for sure.