Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
xed

Drives: '08 Polar White 3dr
Question help... did I damage my clear coat?

Hi all. long time no see.

I have a 2008 White Yaris 3dr. I took it in yesterday for my 25k mile service and the Toyota guy says that there are a few spots where it looks like the clear coat is worn through "like someone used a rubbing compound on it" to use his words. So I come out to take a look and sure enough I have 4 or 5 spots that are about the side of a half dollar or so.

A few weeks ago when I was washing my car I came across a few black spots that didn't want to come off with soap and water (just the usual tough grime, nothing like tar or tree sap). So I break out my turtle wax bug and tar remover; dab a little on a new clean cotton rag and then rub the grime spots off. No orbital buffer or anything mechanical; just me and a rag. I remember that I didn't even have to rub all that hard.

So if you look at the spots straight on they are slightly "whiter" than the surrounding areas. It's almost like if the car was dirty and you took a rag and wiped a little circle. It's almost like it has "clean" spots except the car is really clean already. If you look from a sharp angle then you can tell that the "whiter" areas aren't as reflective (almost like the clear coat has been worn off in those spots)

Here's the thing. I read the instructions on the turtlewax bug and tar. Basically apply when the car is cool (it was a cool and overcast low 70's day when I did it) and then wipe off with a dry cloth. That's it. Nothing like "must wash off with a ton of water" or anything like that.

So I'm trying to figure out what is really up.

- Did I somehow manage to 'wipe off" my clearcoat in spots? I find that very hard to believe. The bug & tar remover is clearcoat safe (of course) and it was just me and my arm and a cotton rag. I'm not "that" strong am I?

- Are these spots really a "haze" left over from the bug and tar remover? The car has gone through a few touchless car washes several times so I image any residue would have been washed off. Am I maybe just seeing a layer of bug and tar remover residue?

- Did I somehow "scratch" or "scuff up" the clearcoat? Remember it was just me and a cotton cloth.

- Something else I didn't think of?

I find all these possibilities unlikely but I don't know. My understanding is that clearcoats are tough and I don't think just me using a clearcoat safe product and a little bit of rubbing could do any damage.

I don't want to assume that I've scratched the clearcoat and try some scratchx on it if the clearcoat is really gone. If so then taking scratchx to bare paint would be pointless and I might REALLY damage the paint.

Any ideas? Anyone have any kind of problem like this before?

thanks in advance
xed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
You could have gone through the clearcoat, but it's hard to know without seeing the spots. Your car's finish may only need minor repairs.

I would suggest taking the car to a professional and getting an estimate.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
was under the impression the yaris came with no clear coat
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
To my knowledge ALL new cars have a clear coat on them to protect the paint finish.

I would suggest what you're seeing is scratching from the rag you've used.
Try some Maguires Swirl-X, followed by NXT 2.0 Tech Wax - which should;
a) Remove scratch marks
b) Add a protective wax to help rebuild the clearcoat over the paint finish.

This time, use either the proper applicator and/or an orbital buffer.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Take a picture of the area's in question. How long has it been since you clayed and waxed your vehicle ?

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
What you did is you stripped the wax and nutrients out of the paint which causes it to become dull. Picture a older car after a few years the paint is dull and not as shiny as it used to be. After a quick detail it can look as good as new. You have rapidly removed any and all wax in just that area and striped the paint. All you need is to simply polish and wax the general area and it will look good as new again.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
probably its just a stain from the tree sap, try using liquid dish soap to remove the old wax and rewax.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote