Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Drives: 2009 Red Yaris Hatchback
Unhappy Fog Light Install Question - Should Be a Piece of Cake for YarisWorld Veterans

Hey Ya'll,

I recently bought an Ebay Foglight Kit, and the installation was going alright until I encountered a wiring issue. After searching the realms of the internet, I only found one person with the same problem, but for a Toyota Sienna; I couldn't find a solution which I understood from that:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/27...fog-lamps.html

From the picture in the link above, I don't know where the brown clip and white clip connections go. I am absolutely dumbfounded regarding those two wires... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 2009 Yaris Hatchback (Base)

Tomatogrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Did you get any documentation with the kit?

Although these kits are labeled as being for the Yaris, they really are not by any means designed for them, so the wire colors mean nothing unless there is some documentation on the purpose of the wires. I have seen a few different variations of these kits with different color wires.

Also, these cheap kits are notorious for relay failures that result in melting of the relay housing and connector. I highly recommend rewiring the kit to use the OEM fog light wiring and relay, as the Micro Image kit does. The document below explains the process:

http://www.microimageonline.com/down...h%20Wiring.pdf
Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Did you get any documentation with the kit?

Although these kits are labeled as being for the Yaris, they really are not by any means designed for them, so the wire colors mean nothing unless there is some documentation on the purpose of the wires. I have seen a few different variations of these kits with different color wires.

Also, these cheap kits are notorious for relay failures that result in melting of the relay housing and connector. I highly recommend rewiring the kit to use the OEM fog light wiring and relay, as the Micro Image kit does. The document below explains the process:

http://www.microimageonline.com/down...h%20Wiring.pdf
Unfortunately it didn't come with any sort of documentation regarding the wire colors. I feel confident that one of the wires is used to power the fog lights, since I haven't found a means to power them yet. I searched through the web on the kit model number, and nothing came up as far as instructions or wiring diagrams were concerned.

Thanks for the MicroImage document! I've seen it many times before, but if I can't figure this wiring thing out, I may just end up going with the OEM wiring and relay option.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

I found the same setup, but the installation is for a Honda.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ights-diy.html

What do you think?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

So from the previous link, it appears that the red wire (white clip) gets spliced in with the parking light wire, and the white wire (brown clip) somehow needs to be routed to the battery...

I did find another Honda wiring example, though, and they have a brown female clip already built into the Honda...does the Yaris have something like this? (Second to last picture)

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/light...tall-pics.html

Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatogrower View Post
So from the previous link, it appears that the red wire (white clip) gets spliced in with the parking light wire, and the white wire (brown clip) somehow needs to be routed to the battery...

I did find another Honda wiring example, though, and they have a brown female clip already built into the Honda...does the Yaris have something like this? (Second to last picture)

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/light...tall-pics.html
That probably is the same. The company that makes them probably uses the same generic harness for all cars, and just changes the lights and trim pieces (which would also explain why the switches don't seem to fit any vehicle correctly).

The Yaris does not have a mysterious hanging connector for that plug like that Honda happened to.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
That probably is the same. The company that makes them probably uses the same generic harness for all cars, and just changes the lights and trim pieces (which would also explain why the switches don't seem to fit any vehicle correctly).

The Yaris does not have a mysterious hanging connector for that plug like that Honda happened to.
Oh ok, thank you! What would your suggestion be to best route the white wire (brown clip) to the battery? Is there a wire already under the dash which I could tap or splice into? Thanks!

Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh ok, thank you! What would your suggestion be to best route the white wire (brown clip) to the battery? Is there a wire already under the dash which I could tap or splice into? Thanks!
Look in the DIY section of the forum for my Remote Starter DIY for info on where to grab constant or ignition switched power right under the dash.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
Look in the DIY section of the forum for my Remote Starter DIY for info on where to grab constant or ignition switched power right under the dash.
Excellent, thank you very much! You've been a big help I'll let you know how it turns out!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
Sorry, I am a little new to this...where can I find the parking light wire under the dash? Thanks!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
I apologize, I just found it:

http://www.modifiedlife.com/2009-toy...-instructions/

Pin 29, correct? (Green wire)

Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I apologize, I just found it:

http://www.modifiedlife.com/2009-toy...-instructions/

Pin 29, correct? (Green wire)
Actually this thread is what I was pointing you to:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...y+remote+start

My documentation shows pictures of the locations.

If you are thinking of having them come on with your parking lights, then you will want to modify the harness per the Micro Image DIY. The way that the included harness is designed, you would connect the kit to ground and battery power (or to have it ignition switched you would use an extra relay connected to the ignition switched power wire per my DIY and would switch the battery power using that second relay).
Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
Actually this thread is what I was pointing you to:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...y+remote+start

My documentation shows pictures of the locations.

If you are thinking of having them come on with your parking lights, then you will want to modify the harness per the Micro Image DIY. The way that the included harness is designed, you would connect the kit to ground and battery power (or to have it ignition switched you would use an extra relay connected to the ignition switched power wire per my DIY and would switch the battery power using that second relay).
Thank you! The way I wired it this afternoon was:
-I connected the foglight power wire (white with brown clip) to the constant 12V source
-I connected the switch illumination wire (red with white clip) to the parking lights.

This configuration worked fine temporarily; the switch illuminated when the parking lights were on and the fog lights turned on when the switch was activated.

However, when I put the plastic casings back into place, the parking lights had issues. They will not turn on, which in turn doesn't illuminate/power the switch, so the fog lights won't activate.

Any thoughts? Does grounding at different grounding points affect anything? I checked the fuse, and it was still good. It seems like there may be an issue with the grounding or my tap splice with the parking lights...

Thanks, you've been a big help! I greatly appreciate your patience with this!

Old 09-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
If everything worked fine before you put the bezel and lights back in,
then most likely you accidentally pulled or pinched a wire or connection somewhere.
You'll have to retrace your wires. Ground should be a solid ground - to the frame/body of the car would be ideal.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thank you! The way I wired it this afternoon was:
-I connected the foglight power wire (white with brown clip) to the constant 12V source
-I connected the switch illumination wire (red with white clip) to the parking lights.

This configuration worked fine temporarily; the switch illuminated when the parking lights were on and the fog lights turned on when the switch was activated.

However, when I put the plastic casings back into place, the parking lights had issues. They will not turn on, which in turn doesn't illuminate/power the switch, so the fog lights won't activate.

Any thoughts? Does grounding at different grounding points affect anything? I checked the fuse, and it was still good. It seems like there may be an issue with the grounding or my tap splice with the parking lights...

Thanks, you've been a big help! I greatly appreciate your patience with this!
Check the TAIL fuse in the fuse panel under the bottom of the dash. I have a feeling that the red wire was actually the power wire, so you were pulling the power for the fogs from it.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
If everything worked fine before you put the bezel and lights back in,
then most likely you accidentally pulled or pinched a wire or connection somewhere.
You'll have to retrace your wires. Ground should be a solid ground - to the frame/body of the car would be ideal.
Hm...I didn't think about the pinched wires...I will check! I attached the ground to the ground location just under the steering wheel. I will see if I can attach it to the frame. I find it odd that it would be from a pinched wire though, considering the parking lights don't work; any wire I can see getting pinched would be for fog light wiring.

Quote:
Check the TAIL fuse in the fuse panel under the bottom of the dash. I have a feeling that the red wire was actually the power wire, so you were pulling the power for the fogs from it.
I checked the Tail fuse last night, and it was ok. I was hoping that was the issue lol, but unfortunately not.

I'm sure the red wire was to power the illumination switch; I was testing the connection throughout the installation, and when I wired the red wire to the parking lights prior to wiring the white wire with the 12v connection, the switch would illuminate without powering the fog lights. So that seemed as a check that it was wired to the correct points.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hm...I didn't think about the pinched wires...I will check! I attached the ground to the ground location just under the steering wheel. I will see if I can attach it to the frame. I find it odd that it would be from a pinched wire though, considering the parking lights don't work; any wire I can see getting pinched would be for fog light wiring.

I checked the Tail fuse last night, and it was ok. I was hoping that was the issue lol, but unfortunately not.

I'm sure the red wire was to power the illumination switch; I was testing the connection throughout the installation, and when I wired the red wire to the parking lights prior to wiring the white wire with the 12v connection, the switch would illuminate without powering the fog lights. So that seemed as a check that it was wired to the correct points.

I would double check the TAIL fuse, as only that and the 120A ALT fuse are in circuit with the tails. Since they worked for a bit and then went out, the fuse may have opened less catastrophically than if it blew due to a short.

The only other thing that may have gotten damaged is the T-LP relay, but that it integrated into the internals of the body ECU, so to replace it you would have to replace the entire under dash fuse panel assembly.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #18
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
I would double check the TAIL fuse, as only that and the 120A ALT fuse are in circuit with the tails. Since they worked for a bit and then went out, the fuse may have opened less catastrophically than if it blew due to a short.

The only other thing that may have gotten damaged is the T-LP relay, but that it integrated into the internals of the body ECU, so to replace it you would have to replace the entire under dash fuse panel assembly.
I will check again, however, I have one of those fuse checkers with the illumination lights; the light on the fuse checker would turn on if the fuse is working ok, and it did that. Hopefully it isn't the T-LP relay; that would suck

Tags
diy, fog lights, installation, wires