Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
A/C Clutch Compressor question

Hey guys I have a question regarding my girlfriends 2002 Echo (it's nearly identical to my 08 Yaris so I figured it would apply well here)

She purchased the car 2 years ago and it's been running great and I've been keeping everything in check it's at 330 000 kms. However the A?C never worked since she bought it and after spending the last month looking over instructionals and info regarding vehicle a/c I want to see if I can get it working again for her. My Yaris has great A/C but I figured the more I know about hers then the easier I could fix mine down the road if need be.

Here's the issue:

A/C blows hot (no change to ambient air) very rarely the air would go cold for a brief period, maybe 5-10 seconds and then goes hot again. I told her to stop using it in case it was an issue with the compressor. Last year I tried filling it with Red Tek and still no change so I narrowed it down to an issue with the compressor not running (likely). I just got in from checking to see if the compressor engages when the A/C button is switched on. Turns out that it doesn't, however I did notice that the clutch would actually move about 2-3mm closer to the compressor when the button was pressed and then move away about 2-3mm when the A/C button is turned off. The fan behind the condenser also turn on no problem.

My question is has anyone had a similar issue or aware of this issue and what there guess might be. I am thinking that either the compressor is seized and that's why it is not turning on. I feel this in unlikely as there is no noise at all and the serp belt runs smooth whether the A/C is on or not. The next think I think it may be is that the clutch is somewhat broken and is not fully engaging the compressor to go on. I think it is likely this option. It could also be that there is low pressure of coolant which is therefore stopping the pcompressor to switch on to save it from seizing up. I haven't yet checked the pressure of the system yet but it is my next thing to do. I am also going to go under the car and try and turn the compressor by hand and see if I feel anything.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you are seeing the clutch move when you hit the AC switch, then it doesn't sound like the AC ECU is preventing it from running. If it was the clutch would either not move at all or would move back out when the AC ECU turned it off.

You might have a bad clutch, where even though it moves it does not engage.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Thanks for your reply. The clutch definitely moves back when the A/C ECU is turned off. It seems however that the clutch is not turning the compressor on. My next step will be to test the pressure of the system and make sure it is adequate enough so that the reason isn't low pressure disallowing the compressor to engage.

As a side note, when looking at my 08 Yaris' clutch today I noticed that there is a blue thin disc that spins all the time. It's in the area where on my gf's echo where it wouldn't move unless the clutch engages. You can't tell when the compressor is engaged or not. Is there any way to tell when the compressor is on or off on this car or do I have to go underneath and get a closer look?
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Thanks for your reply. The clutch definitely moves back when the A/C ECU is turned off. It seems however that the clutch is not turning the compressor on. My next step will be to test the pressure of the system and make sure it is adequate enough so that the reason isn't low pressure disallowing the compressor to engage.

As a side note, when looking at my 08 Yaris' clutch today I noticed that there is a blue thin disc that spins all the time. It's in the area where on my gf's echo where it wouldn't move unless the clutch engages. You can't tell when the compressor is engaged or not. Is there any way to tell when the compressor is on or off on this car or do I have to go underneath and get a closer look?
Typically to tell if it is engaging you either have to measure the pressure or spin it by hand and then power the clutch and spin it again. That is tough to do on the car though, as you would have to loosen the belt when doing so.