Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #19
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlnblkdrs View Post
i say no in titles, ok in content.. if your concerned about it being ok for work... DONT CHECK THE SITE AT WORK.. isnt that why its work.. u have work to do...
Work... At work? What an interesting concept, I will have to try it sometime!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 10-24-2008, 06:45 AM   #20
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Profanity is the crutch of the inarticulate Mother F*#ker. I would challange people to use their intelligence and find better use of words to express their ideas.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IXdjVkQiYY

Is profanity cool? In certain situations yes ie: the link above.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #22
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
hmmm, family friendly is not quite the same as family oriented, so i don't see any need for a filter... now, if you could filter stupid, that would be great

i'd agree that cuss words are not appropriate in thread titles, and i usually misspell or add asterisks if i post any swear words... which i do from time to time, as they can provide emotional emphasis in a way that ordinary words just don't
Old 10-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #23
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
hmmm, family friendly is not quite the same as family oriented, so i don't see any need for a filter... now, if you could filter stupid, that would be great
<--------------------
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #24
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post

i'd agree that cuss words are not appropriate in thread titles, and i usually misspell or add asterisks if i post any swear words... which i do from time to time, as they can provide emotional emphasis in a way that ordinary words just don't
We can not filter out stupid..... it would be a loss of data worse than the hacking incident!!

I'm just against the f-bomb in titles. In the content swearing is understood.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #25
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous user View Post
I've seen many forums. However i don't continue to frequent them if the language runs rampant (like forumshawaii).
IMO, there really is no calls for it. If you cannot eloquate without profanity, then i feel sorry for you. Chances are you don't have a really good career.
You just have a "job". That's my take. I swear a lot in person, around the right people. But I DO NOT do it at work meetings, etc.
I'm not attacking you personally, I'm just saying if everyone is doing it, doesn't make it right. I'm sure you heard that before as a kid, and it stands true today. The F-bomb doesn't quite have the "shock value" that it did when it was used more sparingly say 25-30 years ago.
We are drawn into a culture that uses "like" and "good" and "f**k" as verbs.

If I am the only one to bring this up, then carry on people. I can live with it. But I'm pretty sure you don't see that language on higher end car forums. Need I say more?
Sorry, but just because I think it's ok to swear in the forums, doesn't mean that I do it. Seriously, check out my past posts, even prehack I think I've uttered one swear word total on these forums. You can't jump to conclusions that people with "careers" don't swear. I've seen transcripts and heard phone conversations from high ranking politicians in the government and they swear quite a bit. I'd say that they have "careers."

Doesn't matter if you're in a "job" or a "career," I agree that profanity has no place in the workplace. But this isn't a workplace. This is a fun forum where friends with similar interests come to hang out in a virtual setting. You said yourself that you swear around your friends when it's appropriate. And for the most part, profanities fly in here when it's appropriate.

I think if a filter is put in, people are going to think it's ok to swear more because they can't get in trouble. This is what I see in forums that have an expletive filter: f@#$ S^%# @$%@%^ ^##^ &*(&, etc., etc., nonstop. I think members here have a pretty good handle on their profanity. Almost all members respect each other enough to not use profane language against each other, even when discussions get heated.

I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about language taking a downturn, but that's just the way it goes. It's called progression. You can't live in the past where onscreen seemingly happy and loving married couples sleep in separate beds and kids say "Gosh darnit." People just don't talk like that.

Also, you're living in Hawaii, the melting pot of the United States. You should be well aware of the differences between individuals and the way they speak. I hate it when people come up to me and speak broken English / Pidgin, but I'm not going to label them as unintelligent high school drop outs without "careers" just because they talk differently from me. Language is not an indicator of intelligence or career choice.

I'd say leave it up to a member poll.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #26
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
What the Fuck, this is bullshit god damn it...... bitches
Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #27
justoneyaris

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
What the Fuck, this is bullshit god damn it...... bitches
werd2that
Old 10-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #28
justoneyaris

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
I think we need to go for 100% of profanity free thread titles. I am so-so about the content.

I think that "My car got knocked the fuck out" is a great example of what not to do.

Perhaps the mods could fix this. This drags the entire forum down which we do not need.
Have you seen the photos? I feel the phrase "My car got knocked the fuck out" most acurately described the incident furthermore why talk shit on here yet not send me a private mention of concern or if anyone was uncomfortable.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #29
dybbuk

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
The way the "English" language is going it's going to disappear, it's the progression of languages (Please don't tear into me I remember reading something on this many moons ago lol). I agree about swearing makes you sound stupid. However, I believe if you repeat ANY WORD, you sound stupid. Like you know what I, like mean? Like.

I also don't think anybody was trying to get anybody in trouble here. I think it's a discussion on how the forum should proceed. I know there's not many discussions on the ETARDNET anymore, but, they should happen more often.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #30
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneyaris View Post
Have you seen the photos? I feel the phrase "My car got knocked the fuck out" most acurately described the incident furthermore why talk shit on here yet not send me a private mention of concern or if anyone was uncomfortable.

Bob didn't name you personally in his post. It was just the most recent example. Other users have done the same thing and it would appear that mods have already edited the title on the thread so as to not offend anyone. Plus, the rules on profanity in the titles of threads aren't explicit, so he might have thought it would be rude to send a pm to someone telling them to change the title of the thread since he isn't a mod.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #31
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
wow this is so stereotypical its not even funny, you think that just by owning a higher end car makes you more polite, well mannered and civilized? please tell me you said it as a joke. on the contrary they are more vulgar , self absorbed and snobbish because they look down upon people less lucky than them. ever seen the average Mercedes owner?BIGGEST PRICKS EVER!!

I know doctors and engineers that swear like sailors and these are professions that everyone respects so your theory is wrong

i sincerely hope you don't go around labeling and having an opinion about people based on what they drive how they speak and which forum they visit.
Mercedes does not fit in that equation.
I'm sure you could come up with several examples to defeat my theories.
Yeah, i know i heard president so-ans-so say a cuss word...etc.
No one wins at arguing on the internet. I'll just leave it at that.
People take things all personal. And it's not even about that.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #32
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
And to the guy who said his car got knocked the f-out.
Please. You have not been driving long at all. Bumper damage?
Come on dude. In the first year and a half of owning my wrx, i got rear-ended 4 times. 3 times i was either at a red light, or turning right at a yield, and not moving. All those damages looked worse than yours did. I never shared my pics with my car community. I'm not trying to be insensitive to your situation, I'm glad you're alright.

Ok, the majority of you seem to favor the vulgarity.
So fuckity, fuck fuck. There you go. Happy now? Let's all hold hands and sing kumbayah and shit. :)

But that's not me. So back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #33
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous user View Post
I have been members of extremely large sites, where members are in the 50,000 or so area, and on all of them profanity has swear filters and derogatory words are also subjected to filters.
I mean, there's even threads here on YW with the f-bomb IN THE TITLE. Not that it bothers me, but i would like to see people use it less, it makes the site look bad. Also, I've never seen it allowed so much on any other forum I've seen. Well we have one here where i live, but it's mostly young, retarded people who couldn't win a 3rd grade spelling bee. The future looks grim.......
Hmmm, I love this forum and the fact it's a more open than other fourms. Seriously, i don't think we need filters. It's not like we all flame each other and use every second word as a swear word.

Fuck, I rarely swear in real life anyways.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #34
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Hmmm, I love this forum and the fact it's a more open than other fourms. Seriously, i don't think we need filters. It's not like we all flame each other and use every second word as a swear word.

Fuck, I rarely swear in real life anyways.
Well said.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #35
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
ok so everyone is happy now? we can continue our Yarisworld lives? good... so let swear when needed and love each other all the time.

Fuck Yeah

p.s. this thread is

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
Old 10-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #36
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneyaris View Post
DId I start this thread? Why should I send you a private message. I quoted an example. You car has damage to both ends..... there have been pictures of far worse here.

If the shoe fits wear it....... Too bad about your car but, you are far from the first one who has had an accident here and will not be the last.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Closed Thread