Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
karloslatynos

Drives: 2012 Yaris TR 1.33 VVT-i Man
DIY yaris III fog lights installation

I went through al lot of data available here about fog lights installation but most of it is related only to yaris II generation. The 3-rd one electric system looks a little bit different.

I have purchased aftermarket duolight multi - function (DRL + fog lights) kit.

http://einparts.de/produkt/duolight/?lang=en

That product is dedicated to convert already existing fog lights system to duolight one. As my european (french made) yaris have not been equipped with fog lights, I am looking for more information how to install them (fog lights only as DRL looks dead easy to connect)

The way I wanna do it is to replace the indicator/headlight stalk with only rear fog light switch to front & rear one (like Bairjo did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bilhPerqVEo)
That is the stage where actually I haven't got a clue how to move forward...

- is the front fog light wire present in the indicator/headlight harness?
- where do I plug-in the relay?
- where do I connect the wires to the fuse box under the hood?

Someone gave me an idea of not to change the indicator/headlight stalk & connect the front fog lights to the rear one, so they both can be switch on at the same time. Is it possible to do it?

BTW the manufacturer suggested to connect the DRL yellow wire to the parking lights. I want to be cheeky and have my DRL lights switch off only when the front fog lights are operating.
karloslatynos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have the wiring diagrams for the 3rd gen European market Yaris. I will take a look at them tonight and should be able to answer those questions.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
2009D4d

Drives: 2014 Yaris Icon + 1.4D4D
May be of assitance http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads...0002_723_0.pdf
2009D4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
karloslatynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009D4d View Post
I am not really keen on that as it requires totally separated wiring circuit. I prefer to make it looks like factory fitted.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Eduardo_mty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I have the wiring diagrams for the 3rd gen European market Yaris. I will take a look at them tonight and should be able to answer those questions.
Can i pay for a copy of that wiring diagram?

Here in México, i cant get one from Toyota
Eduardo_mty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
CTScott I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a 3rd gen US model. Any chance you have one?
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by karloslatynos View Post
I went through al lot of data available here about fog lights installation but most of it is related only to yaris II generation. The 3-rd one electric system looks a little bit different.

I have purchased aftermarket duolight multi - function (DRL + fog lights) kit.

http://einparts.de/produkt/duolight/?lang=en

That product is dedicated to convert already existing fog lights system to duolight one. As my european (french made) yaris have not been equipped with fog lights, I am looking for more information how to install them (fog lights only as DRL looks dead easy to connect)

The way I wanna do it is to replace the indicator/headlight stalk with only rear fog light switch to front & rear one (like Bairjo did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bilhPerqVEo)
That is the stage where actually I haven't got a clue how to move forward...

- is the front fog light wire present in the indicator/headlight harness?
- where do I plug-in the relay?
- where do I connect the wires to the fuse box under the hood?

Someone gave me an idea of not to change the indicator/headlight stalk & connect the front fog lights to the rear one, so they both can be switch on at the same time. Is it possible to do it?

BTW the manufacturer suggested to connect the DRL yellow wire to the parking lights. I want to be cheeky and have my DRL lights switch off only when the front fog lights are operating.

OK - The 3rd gen European Yaris is wired differently than the US market ones are, but they are pre-wired for front fogs.

The front fog light relay is not built into the body ECU, but rather is in a separate, small two relay box under the dash.

There is a 15A fuse (FOG FR) in the under dash fuse panel for them.

On the headlight switch connector, the green and brown wires are for the front fogs. Green gets connected to brown (ground) to turn on the fogs.

On the headlight switch connectors the light green wire is for the rear fogs. It too gets connected to the brown wire to turn them on. So you could simply jump green to light green to have the rear fog switch turn both on.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:25 AM   #8
karloslatynos

I've checked the wiring under the hood and found the socket there waiting to be plugged in (hurray!!!) Also I had a look under the dashboard, found the 15A fuse but couldn't located them two relays, but it doesn't matter. I believe it's somewhere there.

Now - according to the diagram where would you suggest to connect the positive DRL wire?

BTW I just cannot believe that the dealer after typing my reg number offered me worth £150 fog light kit with the wiring set where actually I would need only lamps & headlight switch. No common sense at all.

thank you so much Scott
Old 02-26-2015, 03:33 AM   #9
karloslatynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo_mty View Post
Can i pay for a copy of that wiring diagram?

Here in México, i cant get one from Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
CTScott I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a 3rd gen US model. Any chance you have one?
Guys, it looks like you can get anything you want from there:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/faq.aspx
Old 03-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
karloslatynos

Quote:
OK - The 3rd gen European Yaris is wired differently than the US market ones are, but they are pre-wired for front fogs.

The front fog light relay is not built into the body ECU, but rather is in a separate, small two relay box under the dash.

There is a 15A fuse (FOG FR) in the under dash fuse panel for them.

On the headlight switch connector, the green and brown wires are for the front fogs. Green gets connected to brown (ground) to turn on the fogs.

On the headlight switch connectors the light green wire is for the rear fogs. It too gets connected to the brown wire to turn them on. So you could simply jump green to light green to have the rear fog switch turn both on.
It looks to me that green wire on the headlight switch connector is not alive.
To begin with I connected the green wire to the light green using another piece of wire. When switched fogs on the stalk, only rear fog light came on the instrument cluster, but after split second it kicked itself out.
When I removed all three wires (green, light green and brown) from the connector and stick them together, only rear fogs light came on the instrument cluster. When stick brown and light green together, the rear fogs light came on (on the instrument cluster) When did the same with brown and green, the front fogs light remains dead.

I strongly believe I did connect the front fog lamps correctly. I have tried to understand the system & I have done a couple tests like disconnected rear fog lamp & then stick light green to brown. The result was that rear fog light came on the instrument cluster. I couldn't get the same result with the front one. Something is missed somewhere.

I've checked the 15A fuse from the fuse box located under the dash.

I have no idea what to do next.

Last edited by karloslatynos; 03-07-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Is the FR FOG relay installed? In the US 3rd generation Yaris, it is built into the body ECU, but on the European market ones it is a separate relay.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:09 AM   #12
karloslatynos

Quote:
Is the FR FOG relay installed? In the US 3rd generation Yaris, it is built into the body ECU, but on the European market ones it is a separate relay.
I haven't done it. I was expecting pre-wired model to be equipped with it.
I know you've mention relay in the previous thread. I can't find it.

Where do I find it & what type of relay do I need?
Old 03-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

The relay is a common Toyota 90080-87021. It is located up under the dash (see the blue highlight below):

Yaris MK3 Europe Fog Relay.jpg
Old 03-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
karloslatynos

Quote:

Ok, I've done my homework, had a look at relay location diagram (from www.toyota-tech.eu) and then went to my car to actually physically locate it (or at least if it isn't there (refferring to CTScott is not), its nest). After what I've seen I believe its located on top of the under the instrument panel fuse box.

To me it looks absolutely nightmare.

As the access to that is not available without removing other components, I think there are only two ways to get there: either remove the upper dash panel or somewhow pull the whole unit (under the instrument panel fuse box) down. I hope I'm wrong on this.

Compare to the 2nd gen. front fog relay location, this one is completely nonsense.

My understanding is that components like fuse, bulb, relay supposed to be accessable. Well done for the designer

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow & see what they say.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf InpaneR-R.pdf (142.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: pdf RBNO5.pdf (9.2 KB, 164 views)
Old 03-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Hmm. That may be the difference between how Japanese and French engineers design things...
Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #16
2slowjetta

Drives: 2013 yaris
cant you just relaythem and have power from the lowbeams?
2slowjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #17
karloslatynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slowjetta View Post
How would you do that?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slowjetta View Post
Not if you want them to work with the fog light switch, as the O.P. was looking to do. If you wanted them to be on at all times with the low beams, then adding a relay off the low beams to run them would work, but would require running wires through the firewall, as you would be bypassing the OEM foglight wiring to do so.