Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #181
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I took mine out for the same reason you did (plus ease re pulling things in the back seat onto the passenger seat).
It really is amazing how the view opens up when the head rests are removed. It's like a convertible without the leaks and ripped tops!!
Well, almost!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #182
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
All true but gee if you get rear ended could be trouble!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #183
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
It really is amazing how the view opens up when the head rests are removed. It's like a convertible without the leaks and ripped tops!!
Well, almost!
"A whatsa behinda you a doesa notta matter!"

I've never thought they get in the way; in fact, I never even notice them to the point I forget about them until someone sits in the back seat and raises one and forgets to put it down again...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #184
Nigel8600

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Its for when you go through car washes your rear blade doesent get ripped off by the machinery.
Quote:
I'd also never seen it before. I've even read posts from other members complaining about that shortcut (I think it is irritating as well and will also snip-snip). The only reason I can think of for manufacturing it that way is to perhaps help hold the blade dowb during shipping?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #185
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I drive ALONE mostly and the DRIVERS seat head rest is INSTALLED - I would NEVER let anyone ride in my Yaris without a head rest !!!

I keep the PASSENGER head rest in the BACK and install it before a passenger gets in - the back seat headrests are in a box in the basement, anymore than 2 people want to ride, they can take a TAXI,
Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #186
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
"A whatsa behinda you a doesa notta matter!"

I've never thought they get in the way; in fact, I never even notice them to the point I forget about them until someone sits in the back seat and raises one and forgets to put it down again...
That's the 2ND Generation rear head rests, they disappear into the seat (pretty cool...) The 3RD generation head rests sit on top of the seat, they do not fold or magically disappear unless you remove them...
Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #187
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel8600 View Post
Its for when you go through car washes your rear blade doesent get ripped off by the machinery.
Ahh, makes sense. I wash my Yaris either in my driveway, or (more often recently) at do-it-yourself stall car wahes (each stall has its own drain, one overhead hose ends in a 'gun' that gives you 10-12 rinse/soap/etc. options for your dollar, another overhead hose ending in a brush, side walls shared with adjacent stalls, one roof over all the stalls, and a different set of stalls for vacuuming), so removing the 'tab' wouldn't effect me. Good to know though . Also shows that 'the tab' isn't something dealers neglected to remove during delivery.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #188
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
That's the 2ND Generation rear head rests, they disappear into the seat (pretty cool...) The 3RD generation head rests sit on top of the seat, they do not fold or magically disappear unless you remove them...
I may be wrong on this, but I think both generations (2nd and 3rd) are the same on this...and what makes/causes the difference re the rear seats is if the rear = 60/40 or bench....with bench = having the 'sit on top' headrests that you and I have, and 60/40 rear seats having the integrated rear headrests. If I'm wrong, someone will likely weigh in with the answer.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #189
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
True, but for now I'm willing to take the chance. If the rear ending offender is uninsured/underinsured, I have really high limits. No complaints yet re missing headrest (I must admit though, your post is knawing at me via my natural paranoia...when next in CA, I'll grab 1 or 2 of my 3 headrests that aren't at my cousin's house).
Old 11-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #190
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
anymore than 2 people want to ride, they can take a TAXI,
The only exception I've made to this is driving my little cousin's VERY CLOSE FRIENDS (whose parents I know) and my little cousin somewhere. I don't want my cynicism/skepticism/etc. re this to intrude even a bit into her childhood.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 11-15-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: NOT 'where I know the parents'...Changed to above...popped into my head while driving...mother shaking finger from heaven.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #191
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
I may be wrong on this, but I think both generations (2nd and 3rd) are the same on this...and what makes/causes the difference re the rear seats is if the rear = 60/40 or bench....with bench = having the 'sit on top' headrests that you and I have, and 60/40 rear seats having the integrated rear headrests. If I'm wrong, someone will likely weigh in with the answer.
Oh. I have 2nd gen with the 60/40 seats. I guess that's why I never see them in the mirror...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #192
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Mine has 3 cup holders and 6 bottle holders if you count using the cup holders to hold bottles too. I checked out the 2015 Honda Fit today and cant imagine giving up all the cleverly designed features my stunning 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris LB has for that thing. Plus that thing looks uglier than the 2014 Yaris.

Last edited by birdman; 08-27-2014 at 10:11 PM.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #193
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Mine has 3 cup holders and 6 bottle holders if you count using the cup holders to hold bottles too. I checked out the 2015 Honda Fit today and cant imagine giving up all the cleverly designed features my stunning 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris LB has for that thing. Plus that thing looks uglier than the 2014 Yaris.
Although the many available cup holders in the yaris is a great feature, their placement is terrible. A cup holder needs to be in the Centre of the vehicle, coffee goes flying everywhere on every bump and turn made in the car. They just have to be in the Centre of gravity of the car. I'd rather have two in the middle than 4 on the doors. My two cents.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #194
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
I've actually found them out of the way, which is fine, because if I'm driving, I'm not having cupped beverages in the car. And whoever's in the back gets nothing.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #195
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
Location of cup holders keeps your coffee warm in winter (heat on), and your drinks cold in summer (AC on).

I've always joked that Toyota would get in trouble for the placement of the cup holders, I cant remember how many times I've spilt hot coffee on my pants. I usually put a piece of paper towel in the cup holder to minimize the damage.
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #196
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaznet View Post
I usually put a piece of paper towel in the cup holder to minimize the damage.
The napkin that comes with my coffee goes there. If it saturates the napkin, it means I haven't drunk enough coffee before getting in the car.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #197
Jlively
Mr J.

Drives: 2009 yaris 5 dr HB
Send a message via AIM to Jlively
Tired of that pesky Maint req light?
Turn it off yourself.

step 1: put your trip odometer to trip A
Step 2: turn the car off.
Step 3: using your left hand on the key and your right hand holding down the button to reset the odometer in, turn the key to the on position and keeping holding down the button. It will do a few cirlces and show 2-4 flat lines then your mileage will come back and viola the maint req light is gone. Reset the trip odometer to normal, trip a, trip b w/e you use. Now your done, have a cookie!
Jlively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #198
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
No maint req light on my car.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote