Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
click.mine
Steve88

Drives: Polar White 07 Sedan (S)
Some Amp Installation Pix - Informational?

I was doing some cleanup work on the cables & thought while things are uncovered I take a couple of pix.
I KNOW IT'S ALL COMMON SENSE 2SOME OF U OUT THERE BUT ANYWHO...

Feel Free to ask me for more info or questions thought I'm entry level @ this stuff myself.
Out

PS+ There's still some cleanup work. stop judging.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
...Being a bit OCD on wiring...

Grab some zip ties and make some ties every eight inches at least on those wires. I'll throw some pictures of a nice tidy wire run for you. It keeps loose wires from becoming a problem and it makes everything look really nice!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
goku87

Drives: Black HB
zip ties ftw! you can never have too many.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
No offense but that has to be the most unclean install i have ever seen! J/k cant wait to see pics when everythings all cleaned up.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Yeah, CM also said that he knew about the messy install. I'm sure he'll clean it up.

Here's some examples of PROPER wire runs:

Here's a picture of a great speaker wire termination:

Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
Wow - there looks to be enough wire runs there to rig a small futbol stadium. What type of wire looms (covers) are those? Do they provide emag shielding? That looks like a high dollar $$ interconnect and power install. Nice
pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
sqcomp.... yeah.. those are nice looking runs... but they all seem to bee about 18-36" too long. CUT DEM WIRES... GET MO WATTZ!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Thos wire runs are NOT expensive wires. They are simply techflexed, heat shrinked, and terminated correctly. For me, I'll also be using a lot of foil tape to keep the runs secured.

These pictures are out of an acquaintences DIY Honda Accord. He also went on to win the MECA Rookie class SQ world championship this last year. Funny thing is...a bunch of these guys got beat in the Pro and 1 seat class by a 2000 Toyota Echo.

Notice that! These guys are in more expensive cars, yet they got beat in two classes by the predacessor to our car. I know that it wasn't an everyday Echo...still...the point is with real attention to our vehicles, we can have a spectacular sound.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Wow this puts my wire install to shame.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Yeah...us SQ guys get REALLY picky when we start running wires. On my last install, I didn't use techflex and heatshrink but I did zip every 8". Even that makes a world of difference. I run into a lot of other stereo shop's work that come into the shop. A lot of people are in too much of a hurry.

I suppose that is why I like to have patience and take a lot of pride in my work. If you decide to slap wiring in...something will go wrong. Read my signature...it tells the truth.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
If you decide to slap wiring in...something will go wrong. Read my signature...it tells the truth.
My cars (626 & yaris) have been known to be proof of that.... My installs are usually end up being permanent temporary installs.. meaning... I just threw it in, just so I could have sound, but never got around to actually installing the gear the way I wanted.... so weird things happen from time to time.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Oh I hear that. I used to be the same way. Mr. Murphy just kept rearing his ugly head...

Now days, I've turned into an OCD freak when it comes to installs. I even vacuum the car in most cases. Unless a vehicle comes to me in horrid condition, I'll usually show a lot of additional care with it. Thats the nice thing when working with a smaller shop AND working with two installers that like clean installs as well. The time is afforded to make things right.

When I hand a vehicle back to someone that is better than how they gave it to me, it feels good...almost medicinal.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #13
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
wow glad thats not my ride !!!

heres mine :)

[IMG][/IMG]
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

What amps are those? Are those Arc Audio? ...No...
Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
pennyracer
boydstir

yes i really like them i did change the 500X1 to a 1000X1 for a little more power for my 2 10 " subs :) all fits the same no problems also i fount a alt guy that claims he has the stock style denso alt to put of 180 amp for $420.00 no exchange that was the guy someone here gave me the name of i forget the company name but just glad to find a like wise but more out put alt i just wonder how i can bench test a alt for its true output would you happen to know ?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyracer View Post
yes i really like them i did change the 500X1 to a 1000X1 for a little more power for my 2 10 " subs :) all fits the same no problems also i fount a alt guy that claims he has the stock style denso alt to put of 180 amp for $420.00 no exchange that was the guy someone here gave me the name of i forget the company name but just glad to find a like wise but more out put alt i just wonder how i can bench test a alt for its true output would you happen to know ?
need an am-meter (clamp meter) capable of reading upwards of 200amps, and then a volt-meter.

hook the meters to the alt, turn car on, watch meters as a friend slowly revs the engine from idle up to 4,000rpms. Alt should peak somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

...I'd say come up to the shop but, Vancouver is a little far away from Grant's Pass for this one!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #18
pennyracer
boydstir

thank you for the offer . yes a bit far but your location reads tigard oregon oh would u like to see pictures of my pods for the doors to hold my 3 way focal speakers and the doors double linned inner and outer with raamatt and dynamat foem barrier on the outer door just under door panels