Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Magic Jack

My wife and I are both looking at losing our jobs. Ive seen this magic jack thing and am thinking of getting it to save money.

Does it save money? Can it replace your land line service? Are there any problems with it?

Thanks for any information!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
We have 5 landlines in our house between home, my business and my wife's business. I started switching away from the phone company about 3 years ago. My first two lines I transferred to magic jack. They are good, but not perfect. Depending on your internet usage, the calls can get choppy. For example, if I am on a call and one of my kids starts watching netflix, I notice choppiness to to calls. Other than that I have been happy with the magic jacks. One of my favorite features is the call forwarding, where the call will still ring a couple of times before forwarding to my cell phone. The savings is amazing with them only being $29 per year, plus $10 for having your original number transferred over.

The other two lines that we switched we went with nettalk. They were initially horrible, with totally garbled calls. They remotely upgraded the firmware on the devices and that helped quite a bit. There is still a bit of oddity with them where if people call from certain providers (phone or cell) they are super choppy (and it seems to always happen with those particular people). Yearly cost is about the same for the netalk, but the initial cost of the units is about $10 cheaper than magic jack. Overall though, I like magic jack better.

There are quite a few other services out there that are supposedly much better, but from my research they are considerably more expensive than magicjack or nettalk.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
If you are both losing your jobs, which I send my well wishes to you bronsin, then MJ can get you by, but as Scott has said it can get dicey every now and again. Not to sound like a total tool, but you do know that you have to have high speed internet correct? Have you thought about seeing whether or not you could qualify for the LifeLine service?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
it's quite good. yes in the real world it can get choppy. i communicate with people in the US (part of my job) and while driving i use the android app of MJ and it does me well i should say.

and by the way, i used to work for V_n@ge, and MJ is a real killer of our sales. LOL
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
If you are both losing your jobs, which I send my well wishes to you bronsin, then MJ can get you by, but as Scott has said it can get dicey every now and again. Not to sound like a total tool, but you do know that you have to have high speed internet correct? Have you thought about seeing whether or not you could qualify for the LifeLine service?
Thanks I will look into Lifeline.

Internet may have to go also. (theres always wifi at McD)

I have a go phone which I never use but thats only $20 four times a year. The thing is I would lose my home phone #.

Which may not matter...
Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The thing is I would lose my home phone #.

Which may not matter...
When my ex-wife moved to LifeLine they ported her number over without issue, but mileage may vary depending on state/region.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote