Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
DIY - OEM Power Window Conversion

Last September I installed aftermarket power windows and locks on Crashy2. I really wanted to use OEM power locks and power window regulators, but they were a bit more expensive (even for used parts) than I wanted to spend for the project, so I decided to go aftermarket. The aftermarket power window setup works with the manual window regulator, so no OEM parts needed to be replaced.

I purchased the power lock kit from A1 Electric and it has been great. I cheaped out on power window kit and purchased one off ebay for about $100 for the 2 door kit. I wondered how long it would last and recently answered that question, when the window rolled half way down and then the gear box of the window motor starting making a horrible sound.

Here is what the aftermarket lock and window kits look like installed:

I decided to replace it with an OEM setup, instead of going another round with aftermarket. The first problem is locating parts for a decent price. The regulator (the scissor lift looking piece) runs $125 new and the power window motor runs $300 new.

I was able to find a used OEM motor from a Sequoia for $35 (almost all 06-11 Toyotas use the same motor) and a regulator for $75. The regulators for the 3 door Yaris are unique to it.

Regulator:

Motor:

The connector for the motor is not present on manual window cars, so I used two of the necessary pins (which I have on hand) and potted the pins into the connector with clear silicone.

My initial thought was that perhaps you could remove the crank mechanism and bolt on the motor in its place, but it turns out that the power an manual regulators are quite different.

Comparison of power window regulator (top) and manual one (bottom):

Replacing the OEM manual window regulator with the OEM power window regulator requires opening the door, disconnecting the window from the regulator, removing the window, and removing and replacing the regulator.

removing the window involves moving it to the position where you have access to both of the regulator to window bolts, removing those two bolts, and pivoting the window forward and then lifting it out.

Here's the left bolt hole:

And the right (accessible through the slot in the door):

And, here is the window removed:

Removing the manual regulator involves removing the two top mounting bolts and the three bolts for the crank section.

Top mount bolts:

Three crank section bolts:

To install the power window regulator you first mount the motor to the regulator and then insert it into the door. The same two top mounting bolts are used, but the motor section requires four bolts instead of three. The picture below shows the three mounting holes for the manual regulator in yellow and the four for the power regulator in red.

I wired the OEM power window motor to the wiring from my aftermarket power window kit. I tested the motor to make sure that I had it wiring in the correct direction, so that up on the switch equaled window moving up.

Tags
power windows