Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
jasonmar.88

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Need a mechanicS opinion/advice Alternator or No?

My Yaris was hit in run (L) corner rear bumper while parked, not hard but enough to crack the bumper, it could be a coincidence but that's when it all started. My battery light started to sporadically appear and disappear on the dash board and did so for a couple days. I took it to O"Riellys and the battery, starter and alternator tested fine. Confused because it still drove great, until the 3rd day, while driving my kids to school, I lost power steering, and the ABS light along with the battery light and break illuminated my dash board, followed by loss of dash board lights, stiff to no breaks and loss of power, it was a hot mess. I pulled over turned the car off then back on and like magic all was fine. Until that evening when it happened AGAIN...I turned my Yaris off, then back on and it was hesitant to start but within 5 minutes it did...PLEASE HELP, has anyone had this problem? I am lost as to how to fix it.
:UPDATE:
***Yesterday I drove perfect with the exception of battery light sporadically making an appearance or two, then today just now after picking up my kids from school, AGAIN battery light, no steering and now my OIL LIGHT is making an appearance and this time the car wont start...unlike the other time when it did. Just a note: I have maintained the car and the oil is on point.***
I'm not a mechanic, I am a mom, so I called the Toyota company and the gentleman said w/o looking at it he thinks the alternator is "going" bad. When I turn it over it just clicks. He suggested I bring it in but the cost is like 150.00 just to have it looked at / diagnosed and its to close to Christmas for a bill that starts at 150.00 I am just hoping someone can tell me if the alternator could have have been "going" bad and that's why my cars been acting possessed?

Last edited by jasonmar.88; 12-14-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: left out detail
jasonmar.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmar.88 View Post
My Yaris was hit in run (L) corner rear bumper while parked, not hard but enough to crack the bumper, it could be a coincidence but that's when it all started. My battery light started to sporadically appear and disappear on the dash board and did so for a couple days. I took it to O"Riellys and the battery, starter and alternator tested fine. Confused because it still drove great, until the 3rd day, while driving my kids to school, I lost power steering, and the ABS light along with the battery light and break illuminated my dash board, followed by loss of dash board lights, stiff to no breaks and loss of power, it was a hot mess. I pulled over turned the car off then back on and like magic all was fine. Until that evening when it happened AGAIN...I turned my Yaris off, then back on and it was hesitant to start but within 5 minutes it did...PLEASE HELP, has anyone had this problem? I am lost as to how to fix it.
:UPDATE:
***Yesterday I drove perfect with the exception of battery light sporadically making an appearance or two, then today just now after picking up my kids from school, AGAIN battery light, no steering and now my OIL LIGHT is making an appearance and this time the car wont start...unlike the other time when it did. Just a note: I have maintained the car and the oil is on point.***
I'm not a mechanic, I am a mom, so I called the Toyota company and the gentleman said w/o looking at it he thinks the alternator is "going" bad. When I turn it over it just clicks. He suggested I bring it in but the cost is like 150.00 just to have it looked at / diagnosed and its to close to Christmas for a bill that starts at 150.00 I am just hoping someone can tell me if the alternator could have have been "going" bad and that's why my cars been acting possessed?
As mentioned by members in your other thread, I would look toward an electrical connection issue. I suppose a hard enough jar could cause a wire or ground to come loose, knock your battery around in the engine bay. When the alternator in my Sedona was crapping out, I had all kinds of crazy electrical things going on - various warning light (ABS, battery, traction control, engine bucking) and my speedometer also shot up and down from 0 - 120kmh. I replaced that alternator with a rebuild and all problems disappeared. So a bad connection could cause all kinds of funky things to happen as could a failing alternator. My 2006 Yaris charged fine, had absolutely no driveability issues but the voltage regulator was bad. My battery light flickered but tested perfectly fine with my multimeter. I just replaced the alternator with a rebuilt one rather than ordering a regulator and replacing it (it is inside the alternator).

An alternator rebuild shop would probably bench test your alternator for free if you could take it off or have someone else take it off for you. Other than that, look for an independent shop - not a dealer - as they are less expensive and often have better diagnosticians on staff. Call around first and explain exactly as you have here. It may be something simple and even if it is your alternator, a rebuilt one should be more than $150.00 - $200.00 plus installation. Installation should not take a good shop more than 1/2 hour; an hour at the most.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
If battery terminals are properly tight, then it is just fine !
Is your car still with original battery ??

sent with OnePlus 5T
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote