Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #37
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
The only two times my a/c has been on since I got this car in February of this year was when the wife insisted on it on our drive to and from Vegas, when she was loaded up on post-op pain pills that made her feel hot. My window tint, sun screen and keeping the windows cracked helps keep it cool, and commuting over a 9,000ft. mountain pass every day doesn't hurt in that aspect, either.

It takes no more fuel to get my groceries to me than it does to get yours to you. The sad fact is most of us don't get local food, and you definitely aren't getting any local food at all if you get your groceries at Wal-Mart. The only time I'm sure I'm getting local food is from the seasonal farmer's markets.

You burned a few milligrams of brain-food glucose, and at least 1 calorie with your fingers, making that post, by the way. Not very efficient of you!
I'm just messing with you buddy. I don't buy my groceries at wal mart. I go to various stores for groceries and -never- buy my produce at wal mart as a matter of fact. That is where I get stuff like toilet paper, dog food, shampoo, tooth paste, deoderant, some vitamins and some clothes. They sell Dickies at wal mart. There is a Whole Foods market a block from my house and I also go to other grocer's. We have a Farmer's Market but I never make time for that.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #38
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Just stating my O....grew up on the farm with Johny poppers, an old H, and the old granny low pickup. Just believe in some instances an auto can be considered in the same category as ABS brakes.....for most of us it's a safety factor, with a 5 speed I wouldn't normally shift to 2nd or 3rd while passing anticipating someone suddenly appearing head on. IMO ABS and an Auto aren't for fun or racing, but they make sense in everyday driving. Would have picked standard for my Yaris if I didn't have other toys.
I have an auto (Tiptronic) luxury car and really feel that it moves me away from being a driver and makes me a rider. If true safety was our concern in this country then we should ban cell phones when driving, remove the radio & cup holders and require annual driver testing which requires written, oral and practical driving skills. Most folks (IMO) are piss poor drivers that do not concentrate any further then there own hood ornament. It seems as if though there is an automatic device in many cars that inverts the rectum with the cranium when the drivers seat senses any sort of weight placement.

BTW, the current gen ABS, or traction control I do enjoy. The first few attempts (80's) where terrible as you had in essences anti-breaking under certain conditions such a packed snow. You simply kept rolling through intersections/red lights with those wonderful designs.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #39
grampi

Drives: Corolla
The only reason for which I would recommend the auto over the manual is if most of the driving would be in heavy stop and go traffic. For all other situations, the manual is far superior. The auto doesn't just "feel" sluggish compared to the manual, it "is" more sluggish. The manual loses less power through the drivetrain than does the auto therefore it puts more power to the pavement. Also, manuals are more durable, are less prone to failure, and are less expensive to fix if they do require maintenance.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #40
gaffo

Drives: integra
Manual give more power - but NOT more durable IMO.

My Acura Automatic (which i loathe) has 230K on it. Automatic tranny - never changed the fluid - not servicing at all.

Many other two manuals I had - both had to have cluctch cable and/or master cylinders (both master and slave) replace/rebuilt.

Tr7 had to have a whole new cluctch replaced also - at 70K

clutch plates always need to be resurfaced/replaced way before 230K.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #41
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #42
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
+1
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #43
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
Manual give more power - but NOT more durable IMO.

My Acura Automatic (which i loathe) has 230K on it. Automatic tranny - never changed the fluid - not servicing at all.

Many other two manuals I had - both had to have cluctch cable and/or master cylinders (both master and slave) replace/rebuilt.

Tr7 had to have a whole new cluctch replaced also - at 70K

clutch plates always need to be resurfaced/replaced way before 230K.
Not true. I've seen many, many vehicles with manual trannies go 300K+ without ever having to touch the tranny. If you're a big time clutch slipper maybe, but I think most people will get many more miles from a manual. You can look at any reliability data and it clearly shows automatics just don't hold up as well. Even if it did go, a clutch replacement is far less expensive than rebuilding an automatic.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #44
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I bought a manual for 2 reasons:

My record tank so far was 52.095 MPG. I don't think I could have done quite that well with an automatic.

I know I don't have a Yaris but my ECHO is an auto and I've gotten that 50plus mileage before, more than once. The warmer wheather helps. Of course my car is lighter but I know other cars are capable of this as you mentioned with your Yaris.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #45
Unknown_Epiphany
First Ever Import

Drives: 2007 Silver Streak Mica Sedan
My best tank yet in my 07 Yaris Sedan was 43.96 MPG. I am not a hypermiler by any stretch of the imagination. I don't gun the engine and always stay in the realm of 2200-2600 RPM. In all honesty I don't even know how to use DFCO and i just coast in drive to almost all of the stopsigns and lights. My Fiancee harasses me as well do my co workers but I refuse to buy a wasteful package size increasing supposed badass car.

Also, Walmart is the devil to the American dream and the American way of life. It should always be quality and a reasonable price not a cheap as dirt price and poor quality.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #46
YarisBlazer

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If we jump 30 years into the future, I think manual will go the way of the dinosaur, at least in the United States; we cannot rely on Mid-East oil forever; I think in the future to have one car will be considered a luxury item; most people will either ride public tranposrt or bicycles, as they do now in China which has over 1 billion people; when the USA has 500+ million people (which it will by 2050) I highly doubt most people will have cars; if they do they'll all be auto transmissions and probably most of them will be ethanol-based, electric, or hybrids; just my 2 cents.
YarisBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #47
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisBlazer View Post
If we jump 30 years into the future, I think manual will go the way of the dinosaur, at least in the United States; we cannot rely on Mid-East oil forever; I think in the future to have one car will be considered a luxury item; most people will either ride public tranposrt or bicycles, as they do now in China which has over 1 billion people; when the USA has 500+ million people (which it will by 2050) I highly doubt most people will have cars; if they do they'll all be auto transmissions and probably most of them will be ethanol-based, electric, or hybrids; just my 2 cents.
I agree with some of your post. I do believe the look of transportation will be vastly different 30 years from now and the internal combustion engine will be a thing of the past. However, it will be easier to convert over to battery powered, or hydrogen powered vehicles than it would be to change the entire structure of our transportation system. People will still have to drive just as much, they just won't be driving gas powered cars.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #48
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

agreed, people will just be driving smaller, more efficient, alternatively fueld vehicles in more heavily conjested cities

that is unless we are enslaved to the chinese
or nuked off the face of the earth
Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #49
MudBug

Drives: 07 Yaris
I bought the AT for all the convenience reasons listed. I thought this little car was just gonna be a daily driver, a means to get around town, nothing more. But I found out that it's actually really fun to drive, there are times I really wish I would have bought the MT.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #50
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
can I say this...if either manuals, or automatics were so unreliable, all the time, as is what everyone is trying to prove or disprove, then there would be no manual or automatic transmissions..there'd obviously be a need for flintstones' type of drivetrains...can we please get back on topic here?

I believe if he is seriously having doubts (as it sounds that you are too) about his driving/shifting capabilities, then I would say go for an automatic transmission. maybe it will be more sluggish, but hell were talking about an economy car, the performance add ons and such are for those who bought an economy car for sporting reasons.

you're looking to buy a car for the sole purpose of putting a person who is nearing the end of their driving life into something they want to feel safe driving while at the same time know they are not guzling gas or worrying about maintenace.

do what feels right for the both of you.

that is my piece.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #51
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
Why don't you just ask the gentleman what his preference is? Some like auto; some like manual; some just don't give a damn. There's no right answer here, just a personal preference.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #52
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
I have an auto (Tiptronic) luxury car and really feel that it moves me away from being a driver and makes me a rider. If true safety was our concern in this country then we should ban cell phones when driving, remove the radio & cup holders and require annual driver testing which requires written, oral and practical driving skills. Most folks (IMO) are piss poor drivers that do not concentrate any further then there own hood ornament. It seems as if though there is an automatic device in many cars that inverts the rectum with the cranium when the drivers seat senses any sort of weight placement.

BTW, the current gen ABS, or traction control I do enjoy. The first few attempts (80's) where terrible as you had in essences anti-breaking under certain conditions such a packed snow. You simply kept rolling through intersections/red lights with those wonderful designs.
Agree with everything you say here, just that I like auto in my dd.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #53
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
It's a matter of preference...I like to do more than just sit behind the wheel. My vote is manual!
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #54
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thotprawsis View Post
It's a matter of preference...I like to do more than just sit behind the wheel. My vote is manual!
I usually steer mine. Your probably one of those annoying people who talks on their phone, eh

Last edited by brickhardmeat; 06-12-2007 at 09:35 AM.
brickhardmeat is offline   Reply With Quote