Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
Mickman

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Motor mounts

I am noticing symptoms of a bad motor mount on my 2006 Yaris hatch. I can see the passenger side mount and from reading I believe there is one on the driver side and behind the motor.

Does anyone have any diagrams or advice on the replacement? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
First off make sure you know what mount is bad. There are 4 mounts at least on the automatic. One under the battery compartment holding the transmission, another on the opposite side of the engine, and two at the bottom. The two are held in a strange shape at the bottom, and you need a special passthrough ratched set to remove one bolt on the bottom two part mount. They vary a little depending if its standard or auto. I ended up replacing three mounts when only one was bad, and the thing is the aftermarket ones are stiffer. Take a bar and wedge it to find the bad mount, if any.

What transmission does the car have?
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Mickman

The car is automatic, and thanks for the reply.

The one on the top passenger side looks to be good.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
Mickman

As an update, I took apart the battery side to get a better look and check if that mount was bad. It looks to be fine.

The reason I say that I believe it is a motor mount is that if I accelerate a bit harder than normal I will get a "grinding" sound at around 3k rpm and during shifts at harder acceleration it sounds like a "grind" as well.

Is there something I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm kinda stuck here!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
xdarkxfirex

See if you have any movement at the bottom two mounts with a prybar. I had a problem where I would get a grinding sound shifting, accelerating etc. Looked and looked, it turned out to be the exhaust donut gasket at the front.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
Mickman

I replaced the front exhaust donut about 2.5 years ago with a Walker part.

Could it need replacing again already? To be fair it does sound like there is a small exhaust leak again.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
The exhaust doughnuts on the Yaris do seem to be a weakness. Is your exhaust aftermarket or OEM? I've seen an aftermarket one that ate the doughnut after 12 months. Even the OEM ones with the OEM exhaust seem to fail. For what they cost i'd replace it if you suspect a leak mate.

Watch out with the engine mounts if you do find a bad one. The bolts and threads on my 06 mounts were pretty bad when i did my clutch and my guess is they use even more salt on the roads in Ontario than they do in England.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
xdarkxfirex

I remember the local dealer wanted close to $50 here for that small gasket. I got it from a local parts store for like $8. Didnt fit perfectly, and I had to sand it inside a bit to get it to fit, then it was ok. After that squeak disappeared. I didnt end up buying the new bolts either. They werent rusted all the way down and I used some antiseize on the threads. My original exhaust is still in pretty decent shape.