Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #127
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Never say never.

The TBW is more related to MPG, not emissions.
The ECU trying to figure out what you are tring to do is a never ending excersize in futility at best.

If the general public loses faith in the TBW system they, will design TB cable in future designs. It is a buyers market after all.

TBW seemed like a good idea a first but it is not standing up to the test of time.
The auto industry in in the mist or a high tech orgy and perhaps they need to rethink the TBW concept

IMO, throttles should be under the direct control of the driver just like brakes are.

Would you buy a car with a brake by wire sys where your brake pedal is only conected to an electric sensor?
I certainly would not.
I will say never on this. you stomp the gas on DBW, the computer decides
how fast to open it up. this is the only way cars can meet gov regs. gov regs are the issue. I would rather have direct like in my 4runner, but reality is, that is all going away.

drive by wire system are proven to be as reliable if not more reliable than old-school. but they need to be engineered and built properly like anything else, or they can and will fail. brakes will always have a fail-safe mechanism
which is some type of direct braking, in case all other systems fail.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #128
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
I appreciate all the feedback. :) The honda salesperson told me that "all toyotas are not selling well at this moment due to the recent recalls." I am sure this is true, but it makes no sense that my trade in would be worth way less then what it truly is worth just due to a recent recall. I paid off my Yaris within one year, so i have no car payments right now. My main reasons for not wanting to keep my yaris is the acceleration for me is beyond horrible. It feels like the car has about a thousand bricks in it when trying to accelerate. I have taken it in and been told there is nothing wrong with it. I am always resetting my feet to fit and push the acceleration pedal (which is sometimes hard to push)..which makes me worry about the recent recalls. Sometimes the brakes are mushy, and sometimes they are great. And I understand this is winter, but my car is getting around 27 mpg. It is not worth me being upset everytime i drive my car. I test drove the civic yesterday, the acceleration is beyond perfect, and the entire inside is great. Yeah i will lose a few MPG, but i drive with a light foot and coast whenever possible. Am I making a bad move? Is there something wrong with my Yaris?
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #129
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
+2

OMgaw! My car's accelerator is stuck! the VERY first thing I'm doing is slapping it into neutral. Then I'll try to save my engine with some immediate action and physically using my foot to try to unhook the accelerator if at all possible. By this time I should be onto the side of the road and then I'll turn the engine off.
yet another reason to get the MT instead of AT... Even at highway speeds in a MT you can safely turn ignition off, wait 2 seconds for rpm to die down, then put ignition to accessory which gives you power steering & power brakes.

i'd like to see how many of these deaths occurred on AT vs MT cars.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #130
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I mean would it be so hard to covert from a DBW? A few brackets and an old throttle cable...?

I just think that the 4 or so investigations into runaway Toyotas that showed there was no problem were correct. Some one correct me if I'm wrong but...anyway

The other day some lady crashed into my friends apartment building...

She was sideswiped and slammed on the brakes and the accelerator. She came to a stop and released only the brakes. She then created a huge hole in the wall. Srsly, this was operator error. It just shows you that people will have runaway cars even if their throttle /ecu is working fine.

I don't think there is really any ecu problem. GM smear campaign? I dunno, I just know that My Toyotas perform how I want them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
I appreciate all the feedback. :) The honda salesperson told me that "all toyotas are not selling well at this moment due to the recent recalls." I am sure this is true, but it makes no sense that my trade in would be worth way less then what it truly is worth just due to a recent recall. I paid off my Yaris within one year, so i have no car payments right now. My main reasons for not wanting to keep my yaris is the acceleration for me is beyond horrible. It feels like the car has about a thousand bricks in it when trying to accelerate. I have taken it in and been told there is nothing wrong with it. I am always resetting my feet to fit and push the acceleration pedal (which is sometimes hard to push)..which makes me worry about the recent recalls. Sometimes the brakes are mushy, and sometimes they are great. And I understand this is winter, but my car is getting around 27 mpg. It is not worth me being upset everytime i drive my car. I test drove the civic yesterday, the acceleration is beyond perfect, and the entire inside is great. Yeah i will lose a few MPG, but i drive with a light foot and coast whenever possible. Am I making a bad move? Is there something wrong with my Yaris?
Just wondering how you are getting that horrible MPG with a light foot? I have yet to hit 20's even when putting it to the floor all day...
Old 01-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #131
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
I am not sure either, but winter gas, and being in NJ where its cold and i only travel about 10-15 miles. So the car never gets a chance to warm up to its full engine temperature.
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #132
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
I am not sure either, but winter gas, and being in NJ where its cold and i only travel about 10-15 miles. So the car never gets a chance to warm up to its full engine temperature.
hmm, that get's me thinking about how many MPGs autocrossers get after racing around all day...?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #133
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman86 View Post
I mean would it be so hard to covert from a DBW? A few brackets and an old throttle cable...?

I just think that the 4 or so investigations into runaway Toyotas that showed there was no problem were correct. Some one correct me if I'm wrong but...anyway

The other day some lady crashed into my friends apartment building...

She was sideswiped and slammed on the brakes and the accelerator. She came to a stop and released only the brakes. She then created a huge hole in the wall. Srsly, this was operator error. It just shows you that people will have runaway cars even if their throttle /ecu is working fine.

I don't think there is really any ecu problem. GM smear campaign? I dunno, I just know that My Toyotas perform how I want them to.

Just wondering how you are getting that horrible MPG with a light foot? I have yet to hit 20's even when putting it to the floor all day...
it's interesting - the local media is jumping all over this because human nature is to kick someone when they're down, especially if they're at the top of their game(i'm not saying toyota is perfect - far from it, but better than most of the rest imho). i don't know if i buy the 'smear campaign', but i will admit i've heard some stories of other dealerships trying to create a panic out of this(like they think we'll all forget the problems others have had in the past - ie. blowouts, rollovers, flaming engines, etc.). just goes to show that nobody is perfect - whether it's automakers or people.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #134
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I just bought a 2010 Yaris a couple months ago and I love it.
The timing of the recall was absolutely perfect.. Have you seen Toyota's stocks plummet?
One person's catastrophe is another person's opportunity..

I'm buying up Toyota stocks like crazy now.. The media is on my side, scaring people into selling off their Toyota stocks below their value and running for the hills due to the gas pedal problems.. Toyota's going to announce a fix for it next week and during the same week, announce their earnings for the previous quarter which is pretty much unaffected by the gas pedal scare.

I predict Toyota stocks to be very volatile and a great opportunity to make some serious money real fast... Yes! Let's all forget about how successful the Prius is, SELL SELL SELL!!

Just look at all the hordes of people selling their Toyota stock below value. Ya, I'll buy that.. Thank you.

Last edited by Sidicas; 01-29-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #135
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post
The timing of the recall was absolutely perfect.. Have you seen Toyota's stocks plummet?
One person's catastrophe is another person's opportunity..

I'm buying up Toyota stocks like crazy now..
My wife and I were just discussing this. There's money to be made there. Toyota will rebound.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #136
scribbler
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I'm sure most of you have seen the news about the "sticky" gas pedals recall on the way.
THANK GOD the Yaris is not on the list. We also did'nt get hit with the floormat thing either.
This does not bode well on Toyota. Two problems with potential runaway acceleration with in a couple of months, that sucks!

MMMMMM i though Yaris was not on list however today found out it was.
According to news reports in UK.
We have a 2009 yaris 7 months old sad to say not happy with it Clutch failed
leaving my disabled daughter and I in middle of nowhere .They say it was
makers error I hate to think what else could go wrong with car.
scribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #137
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Honda's taking the high road about Toyota's problem, unlike GM:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=251264
Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #138
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Ok... so has ANYONE really checked into these things, or does everyone just watch the news and then let that be facts? We clearly need some light on this subject... so here we go.

Toyota, as a company, builds cars in Japan and America. The ones built in Japan use one computer for the DBW throttle system, and the ones in America use another. The ones in Amerca are made by CTS. There have been several complaints made by Toyota owners that the gas pedal feels "STICKY", so Toyota started looking into it. From what Toyota can tell, it seems to be an issue on vehicles made in America, that are driven in hot and high humidity areas. (probably a major reason people who live in colder or dryer climates havent had an issue, a least yet). Now, there have been no accidents or deaths linked to this issue, just several complaints, and since there is no telling where the owners may live in the future, instead of just fixing the ones in certian areas, or the ones that have already had complaints, Toyota is being a bigger company and initiated a "Service Campaign" to replace these parts BEFORE someone has a serious accident, or worse, dies. Toyota was hoping to save face by fixing a problem before it became a problem. But since this will be the second time in just a few months that we are "fixing" an issue with the accelerator, the American companies are jumping all over it. If you ever have a question on which cars are affected, write down your vin, or simply grab your registration, and either call into or walk into a Toyota dealership, and they will be happy to check. It is mostly the vehicles made here in America, but Camry's and Tundra's seem to be the most affected. And what's worse, is that Pontiac VIbe IS a Toyota Matrix, and they have yet to say anything about recalling their vehicles. Toyota has led the industry for awhile on certian things, the electrical throttle systems are one of them. Makes you wonder how many companies bought our throttle systems and aren't going to ever mention a thing, doesn't it? I suggest EVERYONE check their throttle systems and make sure that it isn't made by CTS, no matter what make or model they drive of ANY brand, and see if it is one that was made by CTS.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #139
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

The recall has been expanded to include models sold in China and Europe that may not have been built with CTS throttle switches. We'll just have to see how it develops.

I saw a report that Congress is going to make a spectacle of Toyota, calling executives to testify about when and how they learned of the problems and when they decided to issue a recall. Makes political hay for them, and sets up their trial lawyer buddies to snag profitable judgments and settlements.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #140
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
HONDA now has a recall for the FIT . http://autos.aol.com/article/honda-fit-recall .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #141
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
GM is using the American politics way of dealing with issues. Instead of being honorable about it, they would rather drag Toyota through the mud and gain a few sales.

Just another reason why I will NEVER buy a GM. I definately won't buy a Dodge/Chrysler and a Ford...well, Ford better keep to the sidelines. Thier brand has killed quite a few people. See crappy tires and exploding gas tanks.

I think Honda is being very "Japanese" about the situation.

"As this issue relates to one of our competitors, we will not be making any further comment regarding Toyota's circumstances. Additionally, we will not react in a predatory way toward either Toyota or Toyota customers. I would ask that you and your sales and service teams refrain from comment..."
Old 01-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #142
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
even better, just makes the point that 2 owners were too lazy or dense to move the mat away from the pedals.
Lots and lots and lots of stupid comments from people that know NOTHING about what is happening....moving the matt will not stop the engine from revving in many cases, and there were 200+ issues not just 2....come on guys do a little reading!!

The issue is the accelerator mechanism (sometimes even if the peddle is not stuck depressed) and/or the programming of the ECU.

And the issue is beyond the accellerator and ECU to because cars with a start/stop button show the button as ineffective during such anamolies.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #143
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
and there were 200+ issues not just 2....come on guys do a little reading!
Please provide a link so I can read. Everything I've seen has said "less than a dozen"
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #144
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Please provide a link so I can read. Everything I've seen has said "less than a dozen"
The NTC has hundreds of reports, and of all those reports of such a problem, 40% come from Toyota alone.

It's ALL OVER the internet....but here is just one which speaks to the accellerator mechanism....which may be just part of the problem:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=64104531001
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote