Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
2zr swap and e-test in Ontario

I figured I'd post this under the performance mods section as opposed to the regional section.

I've spoken with a bunch of shops and e test techs so that I could have all of the info for the swap. Here is the info I have found out which pertains to those that live in a non rural area in Ontario.

First off, Ontario is not engine swap friendly like other areas. It may be different if you swap in a factory offered engine, but this is specifically pertaining to an engine that is not offered for the car in Canada from the factory.

The fully clear and legal way to do this would be to have receipts stating the type of engine as well as work receipts for the swap and then apply for hot rod status. If your car has all of the emissions gear on the engine then you'll pass as a hot rod. The catch here is your insurance will now be considered a "race car" and you'll be paying ridiculously high rates assuming you can even find a company to insure you.

The other option is to do a swap and not claim hot rod status. You have two avenues you can go doing this:

1. the ecu you have for the new engine has a different vin as the chassis vin of the car. This will be a red flag for the e tester and they will then ask you why this is the case. Easy and completely legal answer is that your ecu broke and the one you have is from a salvaged car that you installed yourself. Now some shops will then look in your engine bay and may notice the different engine (depending how well they know the stock engine and how different your new engine is) but most shops will accept your answer and move on to the e test.

Because the vin's are different the shop will have to set up cameras to cover their ass if the gov't decides to audit them, they need to have proof that they weren't testing a different car just to give your car a pass. Most shops will want to know ahead of time so tell them on the phone that your ecu vin doesn't match up due to you replacing the ecu and this will give them time to set up the camera - at least this is what my local e tester told me.

The more different your swapped engine looks the more likely you will have an issue. That said most shops don't care if it's swapped, they just want to get their cash and do the e test, so it you give them a valid reason for having a different vin and your car has cats on it and throws no CEL's then you shouldn't have an issue, or go elsewhere. However, showing up with a 2jz straight six or 8 banger will be very obvious and will probably cause a problem unless you are friendly with your shop.

Option 2:
Change the vin on your new ECU, I've heard that CTScott can do this and I'm waiting to figure out if the Techstream tool can do this. If this is done then there will be no red flag when you e test your car. Since the 2zr looks identical to the 1nz (unless your are a Yaris aficionado) even if the shop checks under your hood they will just see a transversely mounted 4 banger and not give a second thought to it. This is by far the most trouble free solution, but it does not mean you would have an issue if you choose option one.

e test shops care about 2 things:

1. that the car has no CEL's and therefore will pass the e test

2. That they have proof that they tested your car and did everything legally so that they are covered if and when they are audited.

They generally don't care what you've done to your car as long as it passes the first 2 issues above.

IMO, a 1.8L yaris that has that factory option available in other parts of the world (Tsport) is not a hot rod and definitely not a "race car". specially if you don't drive like a moron on city streets.

If there are any e test techs from Ontario or ever elsewhere feel free to chime in, but this is what I've found in Ontario after a lot of questioning.

fwiw, if you have a swap and you have passed an e test with the swap at a specific garage then your best bet would be to obviously go back to that garage every time.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
It may be different if you swap in a factory offered engine, but this is specifically pertaining to an engine that is not offered for the car in Canada from the factory.
Now see, this is where I don't quite understand their train of thought.

Only maybe 10% of people that build hot rods use an engine that they actually custom build themselvs. In this case these rules do make sence.
But for the rest of the 90%, they will use a regular engine that is built in "a factory" somewhere in the world.
The engine's manufacturer is required to provide information on the engine's emmisions to the apropriate regulatory bodies. Thus, that information is definitly available and most likely public as well. (Unless you WW and you try to cheat the system. )
As such, if you declare that you have a vehicle with a different engine, but which is currently sold on the market somewhere in the world, woun't they be able to simply take the emmision readings from your car, and compare them to the standard emmisions figures that your swapped engine's manufacturer declared during their own testing? If they're within tolerances, than really, you should be good to go.
I don't think i've ever heard of an engine being "banned" in certain areas of the world.
And lets face it, most of the engines in the cars on the road, aren't even built in Canada.

I honestly just think it's lazyness on their part, because they don't want to do the extra work in looking up a different engine's emission information, which most likely they have in their system anyway.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
They don't take emission readings any more, it's only an ECU check to make sure all emission systems have passed self diagnostic. You can have 1 incomplete test, but all other systems must read OK and have no codes present.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
They don't take emission readings any more, it's only an ECU check to make sure all emission systems have passed self diagnostic.
Unfortunately they check for every ecu check not just emmisions related...which is the controversy everyone has over the e test, everything could be fine with emissions checks but a faulty abs and some other emissions unrelated thing could trigger a cel and you fail.

You also fail if you have a cel even of it is only one ecu test that fails. You can only pass with one ecu test showing not ready if you do your e test in that short window before it trips the cel. Only way to know that is with a scanner. That's how i for my echo to pass and it had a faulty egr which is completely emissions related. Hence the failure of e test as a whole.

Anyways I'm getting off topic, I'll try to keep this thread pertaining to engine swaps and the e test in ontario
Old 12-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
register car up north and problem solved lol no e test
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
tmontague

Ya until an accident happens and my insurance is void lol.

Plus I don't know anyone who lives up north.

I just found out that the techstream tool can re program the ecu vin. Now there will be no red flags when I get it e tested.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i really thought that they just check for existing and pending codes and just make sure all the emissions electronics are running propertly. i wasn't aware there was anything at all to do with the ecu VIN. i have a number of friends running 2003 XRS ecu's in their 04, 05 and 06 xrs's without issue.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
tmontague

You can still pass with a different ecu vin than the chassis vin. It just red flags it and the shop has to make sure they take pictures to prove to the gov't they did a proper test if and when they're audited.

The red flag will have them ask questions. If you explain your original ecu failed and you replaced it then no issues, you'll pass assuming they don't care that you have a different engine (most shops won't even know and most won't care).

But if your vin matches up there are no red flags which makes it that much easier that's all.