Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What would you pay for a steering wheel extension? Note the three option types.
up to $400 for a fixed extension of 1" 0 0%
up to $800 for a fixed extension of 1" 0 0%
over $1200 for a fixed extension of 1" 0 0%
up to $400 for a fixed extension of 2" 2 5.26%
up to $800 for a fixed extension of 2" 0 0%
over $1200 for a fixed extension of 2" 0 0%
up to $500 for a telescopic extension up to 2" 5 13.16%
up to $1000 for a telescopic extension up to 2" 1 2.63%
over $1500 for a telescopic extension up to 2" 1 2.63%
I am happy with my steering wheel the way it is 29 76.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
I was really pleased to find an entry level car with no options on it has the steering adjustment on it that the Yaris has.

Last edited by Bob Dog; 07-28-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Having a manual, I've gotten really comfortable sitting closer (as is typically needed to press the clutch fully and comfortably). In automatics I sit further back.

And the thing I have found with the Yaris is that sitting closer is still comfortable because of its high, upright seating position. On the other hand, sitting close in a low rider is very awkward.

I'm 6'1" and the steering wheel is fine while sitting a little closer than usual.

Even if you have an auto, try it. You will get used to it.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #21
wornways

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Stickshift
So far about a third of those who have taken the poll are willing to pay something for a way to extend the steering wheel.

This gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Wonder if anyone else will take the poll.
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #22
wornways

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Just buy a Yaris noise cut (wreck ) from japan and take out the
Extendable steering colum .
Way eaiser than designing and making one
How would that work? I'm unable to picture a "nose cut" or its extendable steering column. I can fix some basic engine problems, but I'm not confident to tackle something like the steering column. So I'm not sure if this option would work for me.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
wornways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Having a manual, I've gotten really comfortable sitting closer (as is typically needed to press the clutch fully and comfortably). In automatics I sit further back.

And the thing I have found with the Yaris is that sitting closer is still comfortable because of its high, upright seating position. On the other hand, sitting close in a low rider is very awkward.

I'm 6'1" and the steering wheel is fine while sitting a little closer than usual.

Even if you have an auto, try it. You will get used to it.

If there wasn't a large pocket and oversized dash design something in the way of my right leg, I could do it myself. But I find that every time I adjust myself my right knee smashes into the steering column, the center post, or the dash. There's plenty of space on the left side, but the marketeers seem to have decided on the look and feel (oouurrggchhh!!) of the right side and center post/column/whatever it's called.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
wornways

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
i dont think 1-2 inches is enough. im just over 6', and moving the seat back so my legs werent ridiculously bent and knees splayed the steering wheel was just too far away. it was always a choice between holding the wheel with an absolutely straight arm (this gets old fast) or having my legs squeezed and my knees shoved into the door and center center stack (this gets old fast). an up to 3 inch telescoping wheel is needed in the next gen yaris.
Actually 2" would be plenty. I've done some experimenting over the course of over 8k miles now, and I'm pretty convinced that this will solve the problem for me. I could sit closer if the center assembly didn't crowd my leg space--but it does. We're the proud owners of Oompa-Loompa-Mobiles.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #25
wornways

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
yah i been itching to swapped to my momo but damn this airbag which is the only thing thatll save mylife incase of an accident..
I'm not too worried about the airbag. I just want to be able to reach the steering wheel. Such an odd Oompa Loompa design.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #26
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I would be fine with 1/2" to 1"... and wouldn't want to pay more than $100.
Honestly though.... after 1.5 years, i'm used to it, and it hardly ever bothers me anymore.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #27
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by wornways View Post
So far about a third of those who have taken the poll are willing to pay something for a way to extend the steering wheel.

This gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Wonder if anyone else will take the poll.
Forum polls are the definition of accuracy.

I'll bet 100 dollars not a single person will pay more than 200 for this, if that.

And stop bashing on the oompa loompas - You all are a bunch of t-rexes with legs 4 times as long as your arms.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #28
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I'm not too worried about the airbag. I just want to be able to reach the steering wheel.
If that's true, an aftermarket hub/release will fix your problem. Not sure why there's a poll then... I'm confused, as usual.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #29
wornways

Well here's hoping I'm more used to it in after 1.5 years, which for me means another 12 months of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I would be fine with 1/2" to 1"... and wouldn't want to pay more than $100.
Honestly though.... after 1.5 years, i'm used to it, and it hardly ever bothers me anymore.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #30
wornways

Actually I might be a hybrid between a T-rex and an Oompa Loompa. I recently got measured for a dress shirt (my wedding), and I learned that my arms are about 2" shorter than average. Because no shirts were available with my arm length, I ended up having to go Polo, which worked out. But it made me re-think about my position with this car a bit. If no long sleeve shirts are sold for my arm length... :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Forum polls are the definition of accuracy.

I'll bet 100 dollars not a single person will pay more than 200 for this, if that.

And stop bashing on the oompa loompas - You all are a bunch of t-rexes with legs 4 times as long as your arms.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #31
wornways

I can't get anyone to replace the steering wheel for me with an after market one. I'm not confident to try doing the replacement myself. No mechanic within 300 miles, will touch it--I've called a majority of them and asked. They're all stressed out about insurance issues. So that's why there's a poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
If that's true, an aftermarket hub/release will fix your problem. Not sure why there's a poll then... I'm confused, as usual.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #32
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #33
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
No one want to be liable for when you smash and break your skull into the steering wheel that has no airbag.

You'll have to pay someone ALOT to do it or learn to do it yourself.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #34
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Wornways - so many years ago that I can't even remember which car, I had the same problem. At least it sounds like the same problem - the most memorable part of it was thinking that a massage would fix the problem but the darn thing was painful to the touch - like sticking a knife in - very wierd.

I think it just went away over time. Btw, do you have cruise control? With that you could alter your driving position somewhat and maybe get some relief.

Yeah I'd forgotten all about that. The long drive from Mich to Fla used to give me real pain. Good luck with it!

ps Truckstops sell heating pads that plug into your cig lighter. Worth a try if you need to take a long trip.
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #35
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
it bugs me a bunch to constantly think about how much i wish i had a telescoping wheel but not enough to do anything about it.

would be a lot more helpful in the twisties, thats for damn sure
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #36
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
It seems like a lot of people may be forgetting another problem that impacts how close your chest can be to the steering wheel, the air bag. The further the driver is from the deploying air bag the safer the driver is. Even with 2 stage Smart Air bags that vary the the size of the charge exploded, sitting too close to the air bag when the air bag deploys can be fatal. So I suggest that you do not go over board with extending the steering wheel.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote