Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
westgl
2008 Prht Miata Red

Drives: 2009 3D 4AM PWR Pkg, Yel Jolt
Stock intake modification

Anyone try to modify the stock intake box with any success?

I noticed a heavy screen inside the stock intake, I removed it on another car I had and had more flow with a stock element. I could feel a diffence with the other car I did this to.

Note: that steel screen is a fire screen and provides protection.

with that said people that put a CAI on their car no longer have the screen.

and maybe ducting (alum./stainless tubing, for heating/aircond. or oven ducting) over your intake end to the front of the car like the the one at Lowes/Home depot to match the intake snokel diameter with a hose clamp

It is a low dollar with the ducting or no dollar fix fix just removing the metal screen, But I have not tried it on mine.

I am wondering if anyone else has done this with success?

Westgl
westgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I think some people did this, the posts would be pretty old now though. Ducting from the outside will definitely force more air through the intake if it's done right.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
thewifesyaris

Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
look up blacksandygovitz, i think thats his screen name, he had a pretty rad set up using a stock air box.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgl View Post
Anyone try to modify the stock intake box with any success?

I noticed a heavy screen inside the stock intake, I removed it on another car I had and had more flow with a stock element. I could feel a diffence with the other car I did this to.

Note: that steel screen is a fire screen and provides protection.

with that said people that put a CAI on their car no longer have the screen.

and maybe ducting (alum./stainless tubing, for heating/aircond. or oven ducting) over your intake end to the front of the car like the the one at Lowes/Home depot to match the intake snokel diameter with a hose clamp

It is a low dollar with the ducting or no dollar fix fix just removing the metal screen, But I have not tried it on mine.

I am wondering if anyone else has done this with success?

Westgl
I removed a charcoal granule screen and didn't notice any difference. You can make holes on the side of box near the fender and get cold air to the intake.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you can cut anything that's not structural for the airbox.

i'd stay away from corners, and brackets or bushing areas. take a hole-saw or jig to it...dremel, cutoff wheel, grinder, whatever.

i personally dont think it's worth it. you can pick up a 3" pvc pipe, a few elbows and a 3" filter for under 25 bux, and a can of krylon for 99c
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
thewifesyaris

I tried to find Sandies old picture, but he has upgraded since then. He basically dremmeled the entire top plate so that the filter was exposed but still secured. Try PMing him he might still have the picture for reference.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
intake

Drives: yaris 2 1.3 mmt
i'd modified my original box, with satisfaction

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/ima...28Small%29.JPG

added a sporting filter
removed the original tube and added a big size tube taking fresh air rear the left headlight.

i feel improved hp
Yaris 2007 mmt 1.3 , denso power iridium, pipercross air filter, purplepower 10/40 motor oil + zx1, simoni racing silencer, eibach , henry hausen wheels, modified air box, trd logo,oversized oil filter.
intake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewifesyaris View Post
look up blacksandygovitz, i think thats his screen name, he had a pretty rad set up using a stock air box.
Its blacksandiegovitz but close . Here's an old picture of my set up , basically pulled the charcol filter out of the box , cut what would be the bottom off leaving enough plastic to use the stock clips to hold the filter in . Used the k&n replacement filter and flipped the box 180 degrees .
Imo i think the car ran better with this set-up than with my current aem w/ fujita5 filter probaly the low end torque ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xtreme auto fest 001.jpg (185.8 KB, 545 views)
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
THE ONE
ドン フアン

Drives: Yaris coming really soon... :)
Send a message via MSN to THE ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
Its blacksandiegovitz but close . Here's an old picture of my set up , basically pulled the charcol filter out of the box , cut what would be the bottom off leaving enough plastic to use the stock clips to hold the filter in . Used the k&n replacement filter and flipped the box 180 degrees .
Imo i think the car ran better with this set-up than with my current aem w/ fujita5 filter probaly the low end torque ???

DAMN!!! Love the CF in your engine!! Looks damn hot!

THE ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
thewifesyaris

I always thought that set up was pretty bad ass.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i'll probably wait until i get my C-one replica front bumper and do a small duct to the air box from the slit in the bumper :)
Old 10-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #12
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
For my stock airbox, I did a few steps:

1. Used a dremel to cut out the mesh filter padding that is located in the top part of the airbox, and then blew out all of the residual particles with pressurized air.

2. Replaced the stock filter with a K&N replacement.

3. Opened up the driver-side fog light cover and covered it with 3 layers of screen mesh (to keep dust and debris from entering the engine bay).

4. Hacked off half of the bottom part of the snorkel, rotated it 180 degrees so that it points downward, and then attached a series of PVC piping that leads to the back of the fog light cover, so that my forward motion will aid the intake process. I superglued the snorkel into place, the PVC piping is secured by rubber couplers and the wide-mouth PVC coupler that leads into the fog light is secured by several plastic fasteners.

I've noticed a very big improvement in terms of throttle response and acceleration, especially as the weather chills up more and more. Obviously, I get the best results at night. The only downside is that I get a little worried anytime I have to drive over 40mph in the rain...
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by posaunemeister View Post
The only downside is that I get a little worried anytime I have to drive over 40mph in the rain...
As you should be. Last February a member who hydro-locked and killed his engine posted this response when asked how it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan View Post
i had switch the stock intake nozzle from the curve to a 45 degree elbow pointing down with a 4inch length hose. I helped alot on my long distance drive to and from montreal great gas mileage. Didn't think it would be the killer for my car. Never again staying with the stock tubing.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
I still have my stock airbox... only out of necessity though. I have a scion supercharger intake pipe which means it did not line up with the yaris' stock airbox, but not to worry, with it upside down and cut away it works just fine - actually it looks a lot like the black yaris pictured already
Old 10-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
thewifesyaris

Morgan got any pictures of your engine bay, I wouldn't mind seeing a supercharger with a stock airbox.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
blacksandiegovitz - Thanks for the inspiration, just took your mod (pictured above) with my instake and my afe pro-dry filter, sounds kool, works great.
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
a pic:
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac View Post
blacksandiegovitz - Thanks for the inspiration, just took your mod (pictured above) with my instake and my afe pro-dry filter, sounds kool, works great.
+2 good shit bro ! Are those clips holding the filter down tightly ???
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote