Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
Ground Wires

Anybody know where I can buy cheap ground wires? I saw the one done in the DIY section and I saw the exact same type of wires on ebay! It was like $10 US but i had to pay $20 US for shipping!! Anybody know where I can something that cheap without the $20 bucks for shipping? I live in BC, Canada btw
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Just get the ones off ebay from ItsMyDaily's DIY post.
It's as cheap as you can get (even with the shipping).

If you are inclined, you can go to XS Cargo and pick up a cheap single amplifier wiring kit. Buy a couple more ring terminals and cut/measure each wire and crimp the ends. Get some heatshrink and voila, you got yourself a wire kit. But you won't have the negative battery terminal that comes with the ground kit off ebay - so you need to ground the points together by daisy chaining one point to another.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I make a kit !

Send me your postal code and I'll see what I can do about shipping and total costs. I have a business acount and can often get shipping a bit cheaper. This way shipping in Canada you will save duty charges or customs delays etc you get off ebay US items.

You can have a central ground on the battery like the ebay units
OR central ground on the firewall using one of the unused firewall studs. Both look and work great. I prefer the firewall mount myself.

I can get you the basic kit (7 cables) or for slightly more a custom kit to ANY ground points or as many ground points as you want.

I use high quality 8 AWG transpaernt black ground cable, and gold ring terminals.

I have pics of a similar kit installed on my laser or of a few of the sets I'm selling on different DSM sites if you are interested
Old 11-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
you could go to an autoparts store and pick-up battery cables and do a point to point grouding wire install.. you should be able to pick-up 4gauge batt cables for between $4-$8 (us) a piece, maybe even less depending on length needed. Or you can even make your own cables at something like $1.50-$3.00

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

When you think about it...
good quality, low resistance cable will cost $1 a foot, and good terminals will cost $2-$4 for a pair.
Add that up and it's usually cheaper to buy a kit shipped for $20-$25 then to make you own kit.

I buy my cable, aluminum stock, hardware, terminals in bulk so I can usually make them cheaper then most anyone doing a DIY kit, I charge $15 for pick up kits but it's the shipping across the country that puts the price up around $20-$25. If shipping costs $10+ I'll charge less for the actual kit to keep the price as low as possible. PLUS I charge actual shipping... I don't make anything off the shipping.

I'll have a few sets available
Old 11-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

This is basically what my kits look like.
The kit in the picture is actually for a dodge though. A yaris kit will be pretty much the same though.

I ship anywhere in CAN/US and charge actual shipping.
If shipping is high I'll try to discount the price of the items to help keep costs lower.
To Vancover your looking at about $21 including the shipping.

The grounding plate can be mounted on the battery, firewall or anyplace
The basic kit includes 7 high current, high quality power/ground cables, transparent black or silver (8awg),with Monster gold ring terminals. Cables are made to fit.
8 cables for the firewall mounted ground kit. 7 for the battery mounted ground kit.
Comes with all nuts and bolts etc.
If you want a custom kit with more cables I can do that to, but the price goes up slightly.
if you want the kit in silver it will take a couple weeks.

Battery mount kit

Firewall mount kit

Last edited by 07WYarisRS; 11-26-2006 at 10:56 AM.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
What does the ground kit do?
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

To be completely honest....not a hell of a lot

It helps to equalize resistance and voltage between various ground points. What this does is helps the sensors and electrical components work a bit more effciently/accurately and can improve the overall performance of your car and the life of your cars electrical and electronic components. Things like better idle, better fuel economy, brighter headlights and more efficient charging system, louder and clear stereo, etc.
By using gold plated terminals and multiple grounding points, improved idle and drivability are often obtained as the additional grounding points equalize resistance and voltage between various ground points. Plus the gold terminals won't corrode."
This is not a bolt on item that will may you car faster or provide the HP gains of an exhaust or intake. If it increases HP at all it's maybe 1~2hp.

Think about it... your car has one ground to the engine via the transmission and one to the chassis. By adding several more you eliminate the risk of lost performance or electrical component reliability with more ground and equalized resistance.

Very small gains but they do work.
I've installed them on many bikes and all my cars/trucks

As an example my Laser had the alternator fail. so I replaced it and within a few weeks the new one failed. I replaced several alternators before a mitsu mechanic told me to clean the factory grounds and install a few more. I did that and my problems ended. It also help the hot start and idle serge problem so common with the 4g63. Well worth the $30 i cost me to make the kits at the time.

I've sold many kits since then and everyone seems very happy with them. They are easy to install. look good and do work to some degree.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #9
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
^^ very well put.

I liken this mod as a favourite among technical modders, such as ICE enthusiasts.

Ground Kits, rewire of the ground wires, voltage stabilizers, etc, are all meant to stabilize voltage across the vehicle.

They may say it's going to increase your performance, but do not expect it to be a night and day difference.

Like I said before, I wanted to strengthen the ground connection on the Yaris so that my electronic components would not be subject to fluctuations that could hinder performance and harm components. I don't expect better fuel mileage or increased HP. But hey, if that occurs, then