Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2007, 04:09 AM   #19
thatboyjer

Drives: 5spd 2007 Yaris LB
well i don't think you could've done any worse than me. When i got my speed i was pretty much really VERY inexperienced with it. While learning to drive it (finding the engagement point was a big pain in the ass) i would tend to overgas it at a stop and go's and like once or twice i would accidently release clutch way too fast and grind 2nd into 3rd, (and once 1st going into 2nd, which resulted in a very loud grinding noise)

but before i realized it, i had gone 500 miles, so by the time i was proficient at driving my car the engine had already been "broken in"

stalling was a big issue too. word of advice, don't let ppl drive your car, unless they drive or have driven stick proficiently. I let my friend test drive my car, who said he drove a manual for like a week and knew how to drive, and he stalled my poor yaris 3 times before he gave up. He couldn't get used to the clutch :o

anyways to sum things up my yaris still drives fine, and hopefully will run great for years to come. I know how it is, it always helps to read about how other people have made mistakes so you don't feel like a complete idiot.

[Debadged] [Tanabe DF210] [Limo Tint][17" Fondmetal Wheels] [Pioneer HU]
--:: Wishlist, PM me ::--
[SSK (WTB)] [Black Sand Pearl Eyelids (WTB)]
thatboyjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #20
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
I do know its bad to keep your rpms the same for a extended rate of time (65mph on a freeway drive for a hour or more straight) and most mechanics reccomend for commuters that have to drive the freeway to keep shifting from 3rd to 4th to 5th every now and then to keep the rpms changing.
Who told you this? Good friends huh? There is nothing wrong with cruising at the same rpm for long periods of time, what do you think cruise control is?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #21
DjT
:)

Drives: 2007 5DR Yaris HB RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdium View Post
Who told you this? Good friends huh? There is nothing wrong with cruising at the same rpm for long periods of time, what do you think cruise control is?
He's talking about the Break-In period - read the manual.
DjT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #22
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
From my experience in my 01 Mitsubishi Mirage w 95k+ miles....I drove it to Santa Cruz mountains and had internal problems w/ tranny of losing power on steep grades....so i would shift down to 3 and drive up it. Its some miles and.....going down i wanted power so i drove in 3. Nice little boost but it didnt harm engine because I took it to L.A. couple days later on-stop, no problems~

It can only damage if you drive top speed in 3rd or lower i assume..
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #23
Yarii

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Back in the old days, when you finished rebuilding a big ol' sloppy V8, you'd drive to Toronto for a coffee (about a 4hr drive) and back, rocking the throttle up and down all the way, and you'd have a worn-in engine ready to race once you got back home.
Yarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #24
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjT View Post
He's talking about the Break-In period - read the manual.
Really? Where did he mention the break-in period? I didn't see it. If so, then yes, don't do your 1st 1000 miles at the exact same rev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarii View Post
Back in the old days, when you finished rebuilding a big ol' sloppy V8, you'd drive to Toronto for a coffee (about a 4hr drive) and back, rocking the throttle up and down all the way, and you'd have a worn-in engine ready to race once you got back home.
Why Toronto, is there some special magnetic vortex there that completes "big ol' sloppy V8's"? That's quite a drive for most of us...
Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #25
Canuck

Drives: 07 5 door Hatchback
Quote:
Really? Where did he mention the break-in period? I didn't see it. If so, then yes, don't do your 1st 1000 miles at the exact same rev.

Why Toronto, is there some special magnetic vortex there that completes "big ol' sloppy V8's"? That's quite a drive for most of us...
He said '4 hour drive'. He's wither slow from Ottawa, or a typical Montrealer
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #26
tacsniper

Drives: 07 White Yaris RS
when I first test drove the car I was driving in 3rd gear too... and my friend and I were wondering why does it take 5000rmp to change gears... and of course we were not being gentle the yaris when we test drive it either ;)
tacsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #27
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
when i test drove a yaris sedan before i bought mine.. my sales told me to go ahead and push this marvelous engine.

so off i went.. WOT 1st 2nd and 3rd gear all the way to redline. tested several 0-stopsign accelerations and brakings. :)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #28
shoebox

Drives: white '07 Yaris Liftback
Get in the habit of routinely checking by feel, if the selector lever is in or out
(3 or 4). I've been doing that for a while now. I use 3 often in the mountains.
shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote