Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
ttufrosty

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Replacing Coolant

So I am tinkering around with the idea of flushing out my coolant and replacing. Then I go read my owners manual and now I am rethinking that idea.

Add only: "Toyota Super Long Life
Coolant” or similar high quality ethylene
glycol based non−silicate,
non−amine, non−nitrite, and non−borate
coolant with long−life hybrid
organic acid technology to fill the
radiator."

Could they put any more non-ingredients into that statement.
ttufrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:58 AM   #2
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
it's good stuff soo leave it in ! Check yer maint schedule & u'll see that it gets changed at a major maint 60.000miles , i think it is & I think they filter it at 30,000 I've have to look at the book . use anything else & you'll get corroded Rad, water pump seals , engine damage . You can brush yer teeth in it Too ! minty brite !
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I wouldn't mess with it unless you have a LOT of miles (I believe the Toyota coolant has 100,000 mile life). I think preventitive maintanance is great but don't do things too early. Besides, Toyota coolant is $20 a gallon and comes prediluted. Save your money untill you need to do it.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
FYI, if you don't want to buy the expensive but pretty red-colored Toyota coolant, I recommend Prestone all makes/all models. It qualifies as a "similar high quality ethylene glycol based non−silicate, non−amine, non−nitrite, and non−borate coolant with long−life hybrid organic acid technology to fill the radiator."

It is available prediluted if you're too lazy to pick up a gallon of DISTILLED water while you're at the store, but in the end you'd be paying twice as much money for one bottle of coolant (1 gal distilled water = $1. Usually 50/50 coolant is $1 cheaper than 100% coolant).

Do not use regular coolant, whatever you do! Normal coolant is not silicate free, so it can damage your gaskets/seals (like the head gasket). Or at least, that's what I've heard.

The only reason I wouldn't recommend mixing Toyota and Prestone coolant is because red + green = ugly brown. Chemically speaking, they are supposed to be compatible with eachother.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote