Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
markitect

Drives: Yaris
clip tool

So my fiancée rear ended someone, almost no damage to the front bumper cover, but I want to take it off and check out the real bumper on the inside. Last time I removed clips I broke some of them taking them off, the accident already took out 3 of the round ones, so I would like to try to save the rest (between the 2 dealers near by I came up with 2 clips in stock).

My question is, what's the best tool to disengage them(both the round ones and the flat ones on the side)? I know a flat head screw driver "works", but I think there's gotta be something better out there (special clip tool?).

By the way the Yaris kicked the minivan's A#$, pretty literally.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Wita09

Drives: 09 Yaris Hatchback
i think you're pulling out the center, you should push the center then pull out the whole pin.
Wita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
markitect

Thanks, that's a good tip, but down where the bumper hooks to the wheel well liner I'm not sure if that's feasible
Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
There is a special clip tool its about 35 bucks. To be honest ive been a mechanic for a few years and i never bothered buy it ive always used a screwdriver myself.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
If you're talking about those white clips that have screws going through them... They're SUCH a pain. When I was trying to put my bumper back on for the first time I simply could not get them to cooperate. I ended up just using zip ties where those clips were lol. I know that might make some of you cringe, but I've yet to have any issues.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
If you're talking about those white clips that have screws going through them... They're SUCH a pain. When I was trying to put my bumper back on for the first time I simply could not get them to cooperate. I ended up just using zip ties where those clips were lol. I know that might make some of you cringe, but I've yet to have any issues.
Oh yeah that reminds me make sure you put all the clips and bolts back especially for the lower skid plate. I only put a few on the skid plate and was going to put the rest on later since it was a pain. I forgot and the skid plate fell off on the freeway got torn to shreds in several places. So now my bumper and skid plate is held by many zip ties as well. Many many zip ties.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Oh yeah that reminds me make sure you put all the clips and bolts back especially for the lower skid plate. I only put a few on the skid plate and was going to put the rest on later since it was a pain. I forgot and the skid plate fell off on the freeway got torn to shreds in several places. So now my bumper and skid plate is held by many zip ties as well. Many many zip ties.
Lmao, I had the same exact thing happen to me. Less damage than what you're describing though, thankfully
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
push center section in. pull pin out...push center section out the other way (through the top) and when you're putting them back in, puch center section level with pin.

if you want to use a small punch or nail setter....or even a phillips screwdriver you can to push it in. use ur thumb to push it back the other way
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
markitect

Thanks for the tips everyone.