Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
jordanlexy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Yaris total shutdown

Hi! I have a 2008 Yaris (manual), and yesterday it started having a freak out of sorts.

As I was pulling away from the gas station, power steering shut off and the p/s light came on, the brake light stayed on despite the e-brake being off, the ABS light came on. The doors would not lock/unlock, the windows would not work, the AC would not work, and the radio would not come on.

We were able to get it home, and later my boyfriend (who is a mechanic) found a faulty fuse, which we thought was the ultimate problem. However, after fixing that, the issue was not resolved.

As of last night, the only things that work in the car are the interior lights, the hazards, and the headlights. Literally everything else does not work, and it was a struggle to get the car to start up one last time last night. The worst thing is, the car will not communicate with my boyfriend's scan tool to see if any codes come up.

Has anyone had similar issues or have any idea what may be going on?

Thanks!
jordanlexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Sounds like on of the large fusible links on the positive battery terminal may have blown when the other fuse blew.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
jordanlexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Sounds like on of the large fusible links on the positive battery terminal may have blown when the other fuse blew.
Thank you for replying! Do you mean the two fuses on the positive battery terminal that say alternator and main, or are there fusible links along those wires too?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanlexy View Post
Do you mean the two fuses on the positive battery terminal that say alternator and main
Correct.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
jordanlexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Correct.
That's actually the part we were able to repair, and it didn't seem to fix the problem.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanlexy View Post
That's actually the part we were able to repair, and it didn't seem to fix the problem.
Check to see if it blew again after it was replaced. If it is still intact, start checking the smaller fuses in the under-hood and and under-dash fuse boxes.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
^ I second that. There are also mega fuses in the box and smaller ones. Under the steering wheel there are a few mini fuses. Easiest way to check is with a multimeter. I had the same problem with the car acting strange after I was working on the alternator without disconnecting batt. It ended up just being the battery mega fuse, but in your case, did you change anything? Maybe your alternator is defective and overcharging.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote