Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Drives: 2014 Waveline Pearl SE
Almost a Yaris driver

My new Yaris SE has been at the port of entry for a week, so hoping to be a new car owner in a week or two. Last 4 cars Toyota, Tercel, Camry, and two Corolla. Current one w 200k. If I didn't commute and do so many road trips, I could probably get by w it longer.

On more of a budget right no so went Yaris. Drove a civic hatch back in the 70s. Ready for a change after driving corolla for 20 years but wanted the Toyota dependability.

Anyone w experience on how long port to dealer? I'm rural, 1000 miles from port.

How's everyone's Yaris doing tonight?
cathycnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Congrats! Mine took about two weeks from port to dealer (CA port to dealer in MA).
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Thanks. My dealer has been great. She's still waiting on a VIN. I drove to the next town cause the local dealer had no interest in helping me. It's all good. Savoring my corolla a couple more weeks.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Enjoy it .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathycnm View Post
My new Yaris SE has been at the port of entry for a week, so hoping to be a new car owner in a week or two. Last 4 cars Toyota, Tercel, Camry, and two Corolla. Current one w 200k. If I didn't commute and do so many road trips, I could probably get by w it longer.

On more of a budget right no so went Yaris. Drove a civic hatch back in the 70s. Ready for a change after driving corolla for 20 years but wanted the Toyota dependability.

Anyone w experience on how long port to dealer? I'm rural, 1000 miles from port.

How's everyone's Yaris doing tonight?
Are you certain it is 'in port'? I found a new Yaris showing in the dealer's in stock inventory in Cambridge, MA. I called them, and they said the car was there. I drove to the dealer (from Chicopee, MA) to buy the car....and the car was still out on the boat and they couldn't (or wouldn't) give me a date when it would be there!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Once you get it, enjoy it.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Thanks. My dealer has been great. She's still waiting on a VIN. I drove to the next town cause the local dealer had no interest in helping me. It's all good. Savoring my corolla a couple more weeks.
I didn't scroll down far enough.........It sounds as though you are having as wonderful a 'second dealer you encountered' experience as I did.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Hi Nook - I dealing w the dealership owner of a very rural dealership. She is very experienced with Toyota. She would know if she had it. The Toyota reps were through the day the search was done and helped her find the color I wanted. I have the print out. Sunbelt Spirit was in LA at that time, so it matches. It's 6 hours from Denver, so may take awhile to get here. It's not delayed yet, though. I trust the dealer. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Hi Nook - I dealing w the dealership owner of a very rural dealership. She is very experienced with Toyota. She would know if she had it. The Toyota reps were through the day the search was done and helped her find the color I wanted. I have the print out. Sunbelt Spirit was in LA at that time, so it matches. It's 6 hours from Denver, so may take awhile to get here. It's not delayed yet, though. I trust the dealer. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

The first dealer (also pretty rural) had 3 Yaris on their site. They said they had non, that Toyota put them on the website before they arrive. This is after they searched the dealership and inventory for them. The manuals that were coming were automatics. Still on the site but not on the lot anytime I snooped by. So, he gives me his card and tells me to watch the website and let him know if they have anything I want. No interest in going one step further.

The more rural dealership 20 miles away got right back to me and worked with me to find a manual in a color I liked. They went out of their way to involve the Toyota reps. She is in touch almost daily by email. The difference in customer service is amazing! The Yaris on the website of dealer A are also higher priced. This is the most interesting car buying experience ever!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
The first dealer (also pretty rural) had 3 Yaris on their site. They said they had non, that Toyota put them on the website before they arrive. This is after they searched the dealership and inventory for them. The manuals that were coming were automatics. Still on the site but not on the lot anytime I snooped by. So, he gives me his card and tells me to watch the website and let him know if they have anything I want. No interest in going one step further.

The more rural dealership 20 miles away got right back to me and worked with me to find a manual in a color I liked. They went out of their way to involve the Toyota reps. She is in touch almost daily by email. The difference in customer service is amazing! The Yaris on the website of dealer A are also higher priced. This is the most interesting car buying experience ever!
That's great that that the dealership with better customer service has a lower price. In contrast, the lower volume dealerships in (Yarisworld member) Bronsin's neck of the woods order fairly loaded examples of the Yaris and jack the price up as high as possible. He noticed this when he visited his local dealership (and posted about it) and I checked (online) many dealerships within I think a 50 mile radius and most = a similar style of Yaris inventory and pricing (the dealership he visited was in Mt. Laurel, NJ). Bronsin has looked around since then as well, and he's indicated in his posts that the Yaris inventory has become much more scarce. I would guess that this is because low volume (especially in a high cost state) = want to extract the highest dollar amount from each sale. I think it's great that you found a dealer with a healthier (at least for the customer) perspective .
Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I have the print out. Sunbelt Spirit was in LA at that time, so it matches.
So your Yaris is coming from Japan and not France? Woo-hoo! (couldn't resist)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Nook , Well they said Japan but . . . Well, er, maybe that was the first one that was 4 weeks away. The dealer is charging what Toyota says is correct. No dealing when they are not in over stock, agree. The other dealer is charging $100 less for a 2013 SE and at least 1k more for the other two. One 2013 and 2012 - both not SE. I didn't look at options because the website is never correct. So, who knows but seems very high. Could have paid less, maybe, going to Denver. Well except plane and taxi and hotel and time off of work.

Still no VIN. Guessing the new Corolla roll out may be a priority. Maybe it is a Yaris R and no one will notice and charge me more. Lol
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Nook , Well they said Japan but . . . Well, er, maybe that was the first one that was 4 weeks away. The dealer is charging what Toyota says is correct. No dealing when they are not in over stock, agree. The other dealer is charging $100 less for a 2013 SE and at least 1k more for the other two. One 2013 and 2012 - both not SE. I didn't look at options because the website is never correct. So, who knows but seems very high. Could have paid less, maybe, going to Denver. Well except plane and taxi and hotel and time off of work.

Still no VIN. Guessing the new Corolla roll out may be a priority. Maybe it is a Yaris R and no one will notice and charge me more. Lol
Toyota has shifted production of the Yaris from Japan to France. The first cars headed for North America were put on a boat in France in May of 2013. From information members have posted, I get the impression that this is not a 'spigot off from Japan, then spigot on from France' process...but I don't think any of us knows with absolute certainty. Members have posted a wide array of opinions re whether production in France will result in a finished product of lesser quality. My last post was poking a little fun at that long debate. I was making the assumption that with the ship appearing in LA, that the boat was coming from Japan...but that might not be the case.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

Interesting on France. Given its the largest auto cargo ship in the world, guessing it's full of 2014 corolla? From what I read on the ship, me thinks not France. So, does the 2014 corolla look a little more Yarislike to anyone else?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Interesting on France. Given its the largest auto cargo ship in the world, guessing it's full of 2014 corolla? From what I read on the ship, me thinks not France. So, does the 2014 corolla look a little more Yarislike to anyone else?
I don't know if I'd say 'Yarislike', but the 2014 Corolla is, IMO, much, much better looking than the 2013 Corolla.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
cathycnm
Mini Pearl

It's much nicer looking. Would have been a temptation if I wasn't on such a tight budget this go around. I love that the gas mileage is improving. I passed up a couple 2013 deals cause theileage was a disappointment. Paying 1k work miles outta pocket, ya know. Still no VIN, sigh.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Still no VIN, sigh.
There's something odd there. My dealership had the VIN for mine as soon as it was loaded on the ship in Japan.