Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #37
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
It's always going to come back to RMS power for me. I've used PowerAmp since my T-Mobile G1, the very first US Android Phone. Wonderful app, but it's no substitute for RMS power.

As 06Yaris has said, you'll probably be happy with either unit. I'm late to the party on answering the question of should you buy the Chinese Android unit or the Pioneer since you already made the purchase but for what it's worth, my pick would have been the Pioneer.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #38
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
ASAP information+opinions for Android Headunit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
It's always going to come back to RMS power for me. I've used PowerAmp since my T-Mobile G1, the very first US Android Phone. Wonderful app, but it's no substitute for RMS power.

As 06Yaris has said, you'll probably be happy with either unit. I'm late to the party on answering the question of should you buy the Chinese Android unit or the Pioneer since you already made the purchase but for what it's worth, my pick would have been the Pioneer.

Both had like the same rms power, as I saw.

I know pioneer was the safe choice. But in the same amount of money, with this particular Android HU, I think I give less for much more. I mean with the same amount of money, I have a big screen (which I don’t get with the pioneer), I get maps (which I don’t get with pioneer), I keep the factory look of my car (which... well you get the point) and I have access to a huge app library, with useful apps like torque etc.

I bet pioneer has better sound processing chip. But I don’t think that the Android HU is that far off... these things have come a long way in the last year, due to demand and the smoother Experience newer Android flavors (7.0, 8.0) offer.
Time and usage will tell. I will keep you updated.

Poweramp will be in my app list for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.
Also, does anyone of you has to recommend a better EQ app? I haven’t use the stock thought yet because I don’t have the HU in my hands, so I don’t know if I need a better one anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #39
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
Both had like the same rms power, as I saw.

I know pioneer was the safe choice. But in the same amount of money, with this particular Android HU, I think I give less for much more. I mean with the same amount of money, I have a big screen (which I don’t get with the pioneer), I get maps (which I don’t get with pioneer), I keep the factory look of my car (which... well you get the point) and I have access to a huge app library, with useful apps like torque etc.

I bet pioneer has better sound processing chip. But I don’t think that the Android HU is that far off... these things have come a long way in the last year, due to demand and the smoother Experience newer Android flavors (7.0, 8.0) offer.
Time and usage will tell. I will keep you updated.

Poweramp will be in my app list for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.
Also, does anyone of you has to recommend a better EQ app? I haven’t use the stock thought yet because I don’t have the HU in my hands, so I don’t know if I need a better one anyway

Congrats on the purchase! I think you'll be pleased. Poweramp has all the EQ you'll need. It has a 10 band equalizer plus all kinds of filters etc. Once you get the unit installed and PowerAmp loaded, there are a few settings in Poweramp and your system settings that I can help you with. To reiterate what ern-diz said, a bit more power is better. Since you've already installed speakers, that's the hardest part of an audio upgrade. I bet that you'll be looking at an amp, sub and tweeters before long! Haha. Trust me, it would make a world of difference. There are some good 4 channel mini amps in the 50/75 RMS x 4, CEA-2006 approved category that rock. If you go that route, I can make some suggestions on budget gear that's pretty good quality (Clarion, Kenwood, Korean-made Dual amps, NVX etc, no Boss/Pyle gear here LOL)

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #40
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Congrats on the purchase! I think you'll be pleased. Poweramp has all the EQ you'll need. It has a 10 band equalizer plus all kinds of filters etc. Once you get the unit installed and PowerAmp loaded, there are a few settings in Poweramp and your system settings that I can help you with. To reiterate what ern-diz said, a bit more power is better. Since you've already installed speakers, that's the hardest part of an audio upgrade. I bet that you'll be looking at an amp, sub and tweeters before long! Haha. Trust me, it would make a world of difference. There are some good 4 channel mini amps in the 50/75 RMS x 4, CEA-2006 approved category that rock. If you go that route, I can make some suggestions on budget gear that's pretty good quality (Clarion, Kenwood, Korean-made Dual amps, NVX etc, no Boss/Pyle gear here LOL)

Thank you, I hope I will be pleased.

I would love some help with these settings since I am new to this. Thank you

So poweramp applies eq settings in the whole system? Or just the songs I play within the app?

Haha once you get in the sound upgrade path, you can never stop. I was always wondering what people think when they turn their cars into a transformer full of speakers and when I decided to upgrade my sound system, the list went on and on and on.
I made some mistakes in the beginning, I bought a pair of speakers that I shouldn’t have, because they had build in tweeters (coaxials) and I placed them in the front, while I had already tweeters from the factory in the a pillars, so there was no depth in the sound, no bass, only highs.
After that I bought the other set which I have right now. They are stock speakers from VW group, but to me, they sound amazing (I have upload some pics of them in an other post I made about some interior upgrades I did, and you can really see the difference in quality between them and the stock Yaris speakers : Neat-cheap interior mods that makes a huge difference.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

I had experience with them before due to our previous car (Audi a5) and I knew that their stock speakers are pretty good, so I bought 4 used of them and I couldn’t be happier. Total cost of them 40$.
Now with the new HU I think they will shine.

For now I will try to hold myself from spending more money on amp and sub. But I know that at some point I will do it for sure

Last edited by miiser; 10-02-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #41
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
Thank you, I hope I will be pleased.

I would love some help with these settings since I am new to this. Thank you

So poweramp applies eq settings in the whole system? Or just the songs I play within the app?

Haha once you get in the sound upgrade path, you can never stop. I was always wondering what people think when they turn their cars into a transformer full of speakers and when I decided to upgrade my sound system, the list went on and on and on.
I made some mistakes in the beginning, I bought a pair of speakers that I shouldn’t have, because they had build in tweeters (coaxials) and I placed them in the front, while I had already tweeters from the factory in the a pillars, so there was no depth in the sound, no bass, only highs.
After that I bought the other set which I have right now. They are stock speakers from VW group, but to me, they sound amazing (I have upload some pics of them in an other post I made about some interior upgrades I did, and you can really see the difference in quality between them and the stock Yaris speakers : Neat-cheap interior mods that makes a huge difference.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

I had experience with them before due to our previous car (Audi a5) and I knew that their stock speakers are pretty good, so I bought 4 used of them and I couldn’t be happier. Total cost of them 40$.
Now with the new HU I think they will shine.

For now I will try to hold myself from spending more money on amp and sub. But I know that at some point I will do it for sure

The question about Poweramp applying settings to the whole system is something I'm not sure about actually. I don't use any other sources, so couldn't say for sure. The Android unit will have an EQ under the sound settings. I normally leave that flat and the use Poweramp for my 'frequency tuning'.

Sounds like those speakers will work well. Most aftermarket speakers, whether low or high end, I believe, will not come into their own without an amplifier. Maybe the low impedance speakers like some of the Polks or Infinitys would give better results with head unit power alone. I think OEM speakers are more efficient, demand less power, and as a result may sound better than aftermarket if powered only by a stock head unit. My experience has always been that just adding an aftermarket speaker will improve the clarity, but results in less perceivable bass response.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 10-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #42
miiser

Quote:
The question about Poweramp applying settings to the whole system is something I'm not sure about actually. I don't use any other sources, so couldn't say for sure. The Android unit will have an EQ under the sound settings. I normally leave that flat and the use Poweramp for my 'frequency tuning'.

Sounds like those speakers will work well. Most aftermarket speakers, whether low or high end, I believe, will not come into their own without an amplifier. Maybe the low impedance speakers like some of the Polks or Infinitys would give better results with head unit power alone. I think OEM speakers are more efficient, demand less power, and as a result may sound better than aftermarket if powered only by a stock head unit. My experience has always been that just adding an aftermarket speaker will improve the clarity, but results in less perceivable bass response.

That’s exactly what I figured out, too.
I bought these speakers, because they demand less power and they work really well if you are on a budget. With a new HU, with more settings than our factory one they can really shine. Even with the crappy stock Yaris speakers you can improve the sound by using a new headunit, or at least that’s what a member here told me.

With aftermarket speakers you have to get an amp sooner or later otherwise you miss depth and bass response.

So to anybody else who’s thinking buying a new pair of speakers, without having an amp, guys buy a pair of used factory speakers of another, more expensive car (I heavily recommend the vw speakers, but it’s up to you). Just make sure that the ohm independence is 4ohms if you are going to use them with the stock headunit .
They will make wonders.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #43
miiser

It’s here guys. And it looks amazing !

Old 10-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #44
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
As you had said, looks like a perfect replacement/fit.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #45
06YarisRS

Head unit looks awesome! Looking forward to your impressions.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #46
miiser

Quote:
Head unit looks awesome! Looking forward to your impressions.

After 3 days trying to fix the radio reception which was terrible, I finally found the problem. I had to stop acting like an idiot and then use the correct connector for the antenna. (I was using a tv antenna connector and I thought it will be the same. Wrong !)

Now everything is perfect. But the radio still has static sounds. every fm station is playing but all of them have static issues..
any idea on how to fix this? How to make it better ?

Is this a problem only on these Android HUs or in every 2 din conversion (pioneer etc) ?

Last edited by miiser; 10-10-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:15 AM   #47
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
There is an amplifier in the antenna base that needs 12 volt power applied. Without the power, the radio reception is very poor. From memory, on my series 3 this was a black wire thag runs with the antenna lead. Most after market radios will have a switched 12 volt output that can be used to power the antenna anmplifier.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 AM   #48
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
There is an amplifier in the antenna base that needs 12 volt power applied. Without the power, the radio reception is very poor. From memory, on my series 3 this was a black wire thag runs with the antenna lead. Most after market radios will have a switched 12 volt output that can be used to power the antenna anmplifier.

I did that Kevin. I found the wire (it was a blue one) and I plugged it on an unused connector wire with an AMP tag sticker on it.
But still nothing..

Old 10-11-2018, 06:09 AM   #49
miiser

The factory antenna connector with the 2 wires you mentioned :

I thought by plugging it in the amp connector wire I would have better reception. But it exactly the same... with or without

Maaaybe a blown fuse of the antenna amp?
Which is the fuse for it?

Last edited by miiser; 10-12-2018 at 01:05 AM.