Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2007, 03:10 AM   #1
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
Question for audio experts here...

Hey everyone...just got a question...not too familiar with car audio...
so wanted to see if i installed this it would make a difference or not...

I was told by my installer that the amp on my deck is sufficient enough to power my speakers..however...with the air con on and road noise i find that my music isn't loud or clear enough...

Of course the people here in Canada...Futureshop and Bestbuy..all recommend and amp installed..but they have motives....so i want an honest answer if possible...

I don't want a Sub...because it would take up way too much of my limited trunk space..

This is what i have currently...

Pioneer DEH-P6800MP Head Unit - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
Sony Xplod XS-V1640H 6-1/2" - Front Speakers
Sony Xplod XSV6930A 6" x 9" - Rear Speakers

I have seen 2 choices so far...and leaning towards the MTX...is this company/amp good? Thanks!

Kenwood 4 Channel ($299 CDN) - http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...02&catid=20104

MTX 4 Channel (Sale $249 CDN) - http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...atid=#MoreInfo
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Sway84

Drives: 07 Yaris HB
Send a message via MSN to Sway84
how much are you willing to spend?...cause 2001 audiovideo has some crazy 6.5" speakers from alpine that pump like crazy (r type of course) and ive got an alpine head unit from there for half the selling price

ps...if you want there is a yaris meet in toronto 401 and kennedy this saturday night past 9... you can see some of our setups...
contact uncleyaris for more info

Ron Cabading
Sway84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:00 AM   #3
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Hey thanks for the reply! I already have 6x9's in the rear...Sony Xplods...just looking for something to add to my setup...but not a subwoofer..unless its one of those space saving low profile ones that i don't need an enclosure for...

Guess if its an AMP i'm looking to spend about $300 for a 4 channel...
401 & kennedy? Heh heh @ Timmys you mean? LOL...i drive past there all the time...looks like not only Yaris meet...but everything meet going on there...
Old 06-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
seriousfun

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Black
Better speakers can give you better sound, and they may play a little louder than other speakers because they are a little more efficient.

More power, though, is what is necessary for your speakers to play louder and clearer. Within reason, choose as much clean power as you can - your speakers will have a deep well of clean power to draw upon. A low-power amp driven to distortion is much more likely to blow up a speaker than a high-power amp playing clean.

I have a Kenwood KSC-SW1 under my passenger seat. It is a small, self-contained, self-powered subwoofer. By itself, it's not much of a subwoofer (compared to dual-12s taking up the entire trunk), but if it's installed properly, it will play a little deeper than your main speakers; more importantly, it will relieve the main speakers of their tough job doing all the bass, and they (and their amplifier) will play louder and cleaner.
seriousfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Hmm...wow..that looks like exactly what i need from a sub!! it fits under the passenger seat you say....really?? Damn...sweet..
Where did you get yours from?? This thing doesn't seem too common in my area...haven't seen anyone that sells it...
Might have to purchase it online...
Old 06-15-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
seriousfun

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorize View Post
Hmm...wow..that looks like exactly what i need from a sub!! it fits under the passenger seat you say....really?? Damn...sweet..
Where did you get yours from?? This thing doesn't seem too common in my area...haven't seen anyone that sells it...
Might have to purchase it online...
Before I bought one, I made a mockup from a box to see if it really fit. And it did.

I bought it from some guy on eBay down here in the States. Crutchfield has it - do they ship to Canada?
seriousfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I would sooooo get away from sony.

i'll take pictures of what i'm installing this weekend.. i have an alpine 9855 (glide touch... yeh..)

i have ADS 345CS components speakers for the front..

my plan? 8" sub on the rear deck.. all powered by my 9855.. of course, filetered to they only play mid bass. My audio advisor says this setup will be much better than putting 6x9 in the rear.. i can't wait to hear that!!
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun View Post
I bought it from some guy on eBay down here in the States. Crutchfield has it - do they ship to Canada?
Crutchfield just started selling things directly in Canada! Just got a mini-catalog in the mail yesterday.

You should be able to get one through a Kenwood dealer- might have to order it for you.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:37 AM   #9
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I would sooooo get away from sony.

i'll take pictures of what i'm installing this weekend.. i have an alpine 9855 (glide touch... yeh..)

i have ADS 345CS components speakers for the front..

my plan? 8" sub on the rear deck.. all powered by my 9855.. of course, filetered to they only play mid bass. My audio advisor says this setup will be much better than putting 6x9 in the rear.. i can't wait to hear that!!
Wow sounds great...heh heh...looking forward to the pics...
I'm thinking of getting that MTX Thunder TC4004 AMP...it dropped in price again...only $229 CDN...sale this week..and then later the Kenwood compact sub/amp undernearth my passenger seat...then i should have decent sound...
Old 06-18-2007, 03:38 AM   #10
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earljail View Post
Crutchfield just started selling things directly in Canada! Just got a mini-catalog in the mail yesterday.

You should be able to get one through a Kenwood dealer- might have to order it for you.

Hey sounds good..i'll look them up...love their site...informative and detailed..wouldn't mind getting stuff from them if shipping isn't too expensive..
Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 AM   #11
nauc

Drives: NA
ditch all that, except the deck

get a good set of components up front and a nice amp, it'll get PLENTY LOUD

rears just usually screw up the sound quality anyway

try a/d/s components or Focal Polyglass components and a phoenix gold OCTANE-R amp off ebay

they've been having killer prices on the a/d/s components lately
Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #12
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Thanks for all the advice guys....

Hmm...unfortunately i don't want to go through all the hassle of getting new speakers at the moment and re-doing the install and also having a set of speakers that i won't be using...so unless a speaker goes on me...i probably won't be changing those...
Old 07-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #13
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Yea thats probably where your problem is, I didnt check the specs on your speakers, but sony hasent been known to produce to best in speakers...

You want the highest db rating when looking at the specs, that will give you the loudest volume while still remaining good sound quality. As far as price vs. quality, ive found that you cant beat infinity. Ive tons of different types, alpine, rockford, sony, and none for the price compare....

I have a pioneer deck powering a set of component infinitys up front, and im about ready to replace some blown alipines outback with some infinitys, and its plenty loud, even without an amp. But I will be adding an amp for them, when I do the speaker swap.
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote