Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
greg86m

Drives: 07 yaris
humming noise

I'm a noob and so this could be a simple question but I have an 07 sedan and for a few months now (ever since I put new tires on it) there has been a significant humming noise coming from what seems to be the rear of the car.

the noise is most prevalent between 25-35 MPH. I have noticed that especially when turning right like on an on ramp when I am going 30 ish mph the noise goes away until I straighten out again.

I thought it was just road noise from the new tires until i realized it didn't change on different types of pavement and such. My only guess is the rear hubs could be bad but I would love any insight before I spend a bunch of money

thank you!
greg86m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
troubleshoot everything you can yourself, like take the front wheels off and try to rattle the calipers/rotors with your hands. If they are loose and can move laterally, you've found something that need tightening. The rear may be more difficult, but checking the front will take very little time :)
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
I have that noise too and I jacked up each wheel and spun them by hand, the left hub is the culprit, the right one is silent. No play in the bearing yet but it's making an unhappy hum/rumble. Sounds like you may have the same problem. You'll know for sure if you jack up each side and spin the wheel. If the bearing is on the way out it will be shouting at you.
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
greatcar

Drives: blazin blue pearl hatchback
you guys have bad wheel bearings you need to have them replaced
greatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
greg86m

Drives: 07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcar View Post
you guys have bad wheel bearings you need to have them replaced
that's kind of what I was afraid of...is it difficult at all to change the rear hub/bearing assembly? I've found some for around $180 ish, does that seem like a decent price for the whole hub assembly with ABS?
greg86m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg86m View Post
that's kind of what I was afraid of...is it difficult at all to change the rear hub/bearing assembly? I've found some for around $180 ish, does that seem like a decent price for the whole hub assembly with ABS?
The rear assembly is easy to change - I wouldn't cheap out on a wheel bearing though. Moog ($224 CAD) or SKF ($204 CAD) are good aftermarket OEM clones. Toyota's are over $300 CAD.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
It could be a bad tire. Rotate the tires and see if the noise changes location. It's a long shot, but doesn't cost anything to try.

Also, did you make sure the lug nuts were tight? If the tire shop didn't torque down the lug nuts, you might have a loose wheel that is vibrating. Very dangerous, but easy to fix.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote