Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
Just bought a new Yaris

Hi,

I've been driving stick-shift for 20 years in half a dozen cars or trucks. My last car Altima is 15 years old; so I'm not used to driving high-tech cars like the Yaris. I bought the Yaris because I just want a fuel efficient car that gets me from point A to B as reliably as a toaster. I just bought a brand new Yaris LB a few weeks ago, and I have a few issues.

(1) Steering is too sensitive and heavy on the highway. This will probably cause early fatique on long journeys. I can't comfortably steer with one hand on the highway like I can easily with my old Altima. It's wierd how at low speed, the Yaris steering is very light. But on highway, it gets much heavy. My Altima is very light all the time. I wonder if more toe-out will help. Also, I've read Toyota dealers have been reprogramming the computer steering on some Corollas. Can they reprogram my Yaris to make it feel lighter on the highway?

(2) Engine is too quiet, and the gas pedal is too light weight. My car has stick shift. I can't hear or feel the engine speed, nor feel the position of the gas pedal. So sometimes I don't give enough gas and stall the engine, sometimes too much gas and my passengers think I'm showing off. Is there a way to increase the weight of the gas pedal?

(3) Ride is a bit too bouncy. My car came with the 15" rim and wider tires. Would 14" rim and skinnier wide improve comfort?

(4) Seat-belt/key-in-ignition buzzer is very annoying. Is there a way to disable it permanently?

(5) Idle RPM is lower than all my previous cars. The Yaris idle speed is about 600 RPM. It feels too low. When I press on the gas, there's a slight hessitation before the engine revs up. Can I increase the idle RPM to, say, 750?

P.s. Yes, I did do a short test drive. But I didn't really notice these annoying things until I put on a hundred or so miles. I thought at first it feels wierd because I'm not used to driving a fresh new cars with tight every thing. I also drove a new Corolla and a new Sentra. I didn't buy the Corolla because it wanders left and right on the highway. The Sentra was noisy, but in hindsight some engine noise is probably a good thing when shifting is involved. But the Sentra gives crappy MPG. Hopefully, after some more miles, the steering and suspension will loosen up. I got a cushy Walmart seat cushion, and I was amazed how much more comfy the car feels now. Yeah, seat cushions are ugly, but it's worth it. I think I might try lowering the tire pressure. It's probably set very high for efficiency.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote