Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #55
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
The 2012 just seems to be joining the "usual" look giving up the center cluster. Sure makes the magazine reviewers happy I've noticed. Exterior reminds me of the Tercel hatch from the late 80's early 90's. Now I wait for the Scion IQ to show up.
That's another reason why I love it. The '12 channels a lot of that 80's hatchback goodness some of us missed out on, yet still yearn for...but with a slightly modern twist.

I'm counting the days until I take the keys to my new 2012 Yaris L 3-door w/5-speed. I'm leaning toward magnetic grey or lagoon blue...or blazing blue.

Then, some machined aluminum alloys to replace the stock steelies...

For me, the restyle makes the Yaris a contender for this customer who hardly even considered it before because it appeared too feminine.

I will not feel ashamed driving this little 3-door hatch!
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #56
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
obsolete why? it doesnt look dramatically different from alot of 5 door hatches. as for the rest, id have to vehemently disagree having spent much time in both cars over the last 2 months.

the new accent is vastly better than the 12 yaris in almost every way, and most all reviewers and buyers do agree. it has enough interior volume to be classified as a compact by the epa..so quite a bit bigger than the yaris.

passenger volume: accent 90.1
yaris 84.4

cargo volume: accent 21.2
yaris 15.3

the accent with rear seats folded down has almost 50 sq feet of cargo volume.

as you can see, the numbers really arent very close. i can say sitting in both cars, its easy to tell the accent feels more like a compact car and the yaris a subcompact. saying the accent is not roomy in comparing it to the yaris would lead me to think a person hasnt really been in the new accent.

the interior plastics in the accent have a nice texture (unlike the bizarre and excessively cheap looking paper mache type plastic in the yaris) , the head unit looks modern versus the old square radio toyota shoved into a hole in the dash of the yaris), seats are bigger, and as a 6'+ driver i can verify the driving position is superior. the yaris steering wheel is built so close to the dash that to put ones seat where there is a proper reach to the wheel, ones legs are crammed in too tight.

the accent offers quite a bit more power and barely weighs more, offers better mileage whether auto or manual, has easily less road/engine noise and a far more refined feeling engine.

the one single thing i could say the yaris has over the accent is rear visibility, but not enough to worry about.

the whole reliability argument went out the window a good 5 years ago.

there is nothing wrong if one likes the looks of the yaris over other cars in the class or if someone just wants to own a toyota. however being objective as i can be (and i have been a toyota loyalist since getting my license 30 yrs ago), the yaris has fallen far behind the accent.
Obsolete because the shapes aren't really well defined, it looks like nothign and everything... But the yaris will be obsolete too with the next generation. Usually, german cars have a better design, they still look fine even when the new gen is released.

And I work for a restaurant, we had 2-3 accent (01 to 03 or so) before and after we got two echo hatchback (Canadian market) and a bunch of yaris now (no 2012 yet), and the accent defininetely wear faster. accent < yaris < echo.

And I can certify you that the yaris 2012 has more useful room for it's occupiants than the accent. Compared to the 06-11, the front seats are able to go more rearward, accomodating taller drivers than on the old models and all the competition but the Sonic. And even with the seats at rear most, there is still enough room in the back for adults. I'm 6'3'' and I tried them all in the back and front. The yaris is now just as good as the fit (better up front actually). I agree that the steering would need to be telescopic for an optimal driving position.

As for the cargo volume, I don't beleive the figures they give (mostly for hatchback cars), it's probably up to the roof, european measure are more significant. And I never said that the yaris has a big boot. Anyway, my mom has a Honda fit, so anything else seems small and badly designed for me.

The plastic texture is a matter of personal taste. The new texture of the hard plastics in the yaris reminds me of the one found in the more expensive Prius 3 and the Sienna, and they made the effort to put some soft touch plastic here and there. The only downside I could see is that the new plastic looks shiny, while the old one was mate, but then again, it's a matter of taste. I don't remember the plastics in the accent so well but they feel at least as cheap as on yaris to me, and there isn't any soft plastic.

I would probably agree about the noise and engine feel if I drive the Accent (I'll try to drive one soon), I was a bit disapointed by the noise level of the yaris 2012 (pretty much the same as the previous one). But the engine of the yaris feels all right for it's purpose and weight, and for the gas mileage, I will wait to see more consumer reports.

And for me, the fairly good visibility and the super short turning radius in the base yaris (since they ruined the SE) is still a major argument, especially for delivery since I make u-turns everywhere and park tight all the time.

But really, FOR ME, the major argument of the yaris, other than the reliability, is the driving position. I can't stand the position and lack of legroom in the echo and first yaris, just as I can't stand it in most cars in the segment (fit, fiesta, etc.). The new yaris is just so much better than before, and a quite comfortable and smooth ride even if noise level isn't the best. And I wasn't really expecting improvments there since Toyota is usually getting worse and worse, but they were able to keep most good arguments of the older yaris and to fix a few bad ones, especially driving position and legroom.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #57
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
Obsolete because the shapes aren't really well defined, it looks like nothign and everything... But the yaris will be obsolete too with the next generation. Usually, german cars have a better design, they still look fine even when the new gen is released.

And I work for a restaurant, we had 2-3 accent (01 to 03 or so) before and after we got two echo hatchback (Canadian market) and a bunch of yaris now (no 2012 yet), and the accent defininetely wear faster. accent < yaris < echo.

And I can certify you that the yaris 2012 has more useful room for it's occupiants than the accent.

As for the cargo volume, I don't beleive the figures they give .
you are in total denial. talking about accents from 10 years ago is meaningless. the 12 accent is worlds away from those cars.

for anyone who has been in both cars, the difference in interior room and interior quality is obvious in favor of the accent.

as a manual transmission only driver, i was stunned that toyota did nothing to the awful long rubbery shifter in the previous yaris. it is one of the reasons i found my 07 yaris less fun than a stick should be. id agree with others who describe it as being akin to moving a golf club through cold tar.

bottom line. one car feels like an effort from a company that couldnt make too many upgrades to their cheapest car for a variety of reasons, the value of the yen being a major one of them. the other car feels like it competes more with the compacts even though its pricing means people will cross shop it with subcompacts. (and its interior isnt as nice as most compacts).

ive said it before. the yaris has its attributes. it will get better than advertised mileage and that engine while old and a bit crude by todays standards, will be reliable.

utility. i need as much as i can get but i also need really good mileage. the cargo numbers are real. the accent even has more cargo space than the matrix behind the rear seats, and that closely translates when the seats are folded down. i owned a matrix, and i liked that the accent feels very similar in interior room.

Last edited by roxy1; 12-10-2011 at 11:42 PM.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #58
broody

Aside from the reliability, I'm talking about the 2012 accent...
And for reliability, the 06-11 accent didn't prove to be as reliable as the 06-11 yaris if you ask me.

For me the difference in interior room is obvious in favor to the yaris.
The accent still has nothing to do with the compact cars market, and it's fine since it's not intended to.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #59
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
you are in total denial. talking about accents from 10 years ago is meaningless. the 12 accent is worlds away from those cars.

for anyone who has been in both cars, the difference in interior room and interior quality is obvious in favor of the accent.

bottom line. one car feels like an effort from a company that couldnt make too many upgrades to their cheapest car for a variety of reasons, the value of the yen being a major one of them. the other car feels like it competes more with the compacts even though its pricing means people will cross shop it with subcompacts.
I agree with both of you, but for different reasons.

I think the Accent will be a better car, especially where MPGs (highway) are counted. I know that Accent will sell in crazy numbers, and work tirelessly for thousands of U.S. drivers. However, subjective as it is...I cannot get into the Accent's styling, and on a more personal note, I can't trust Hyundais yet.

Namely, the depreciation curve is very harsh. If/when I go to sell my car (Yaris/Accent/Fiesta/etc.), I want to recoup as much of my money as possible. I cannot do that with the Accent. Plus, I am not feeling the "styling" of that car. The Yaris is more clean and restrained. Call it vanilla, call it what you want.

But I like it. Especially the triangular tail lamps and the rake of the rear hatch and rear sideglass/B-pillar profile on the 3-door. Looks purposeful, yet still elegant. Again, subjective as all hell, but that's what makes us human, and why we all don't just drive minivans and be done with it.

Finally, I'll admit I'm kind of a badge snob. Toyota earned their pedigree decades ago, now they feast on it (not as much these days now that they have been slacking). Hyundai still has a few thousand calories to burn, a few more sportscars to build before I'll give them a shot. But for now, in my biased eyes, Toyota is the "safe" choice. If I flew by the seat of my pants, I'd get a Chevy (Daewoo) Sonic with the turbo and 6-speed and just call it a day. But we all know those won't last as long as the Yaris...or the Accent. But god, what fun that Sonic must be to drive before it falls apart the day the warranty expires!

Having sat in (not driven!) the new Accent, I'd rather keep my Geo. No, that wasn't a joke. I could not imagine willingly paying thousands for that car. I'd rather have no payment and drive the Metro into the ground.

The Yaris? That little car excites the hell out of me. I love the way it looks (inside and out), the way it drives, and it's optimistic little personality. It's little mono-wiper thing. It's little uncluttered 3-spoke steering wheel. I don't know why, but perhaps I was just the customer (early 30s, first new car, male, soon-to-be-professional) Akio Toyoda had this restyle done for.

You just know Toyota is losing money on each one they sell in the U.S.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #60
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I just don't get buying a new car when i just bought one a few years ago. My yaris will be my econo box until i die. When I buy another car it will be a sports car, not a replacement econo box. If I ever total my yaris, I would replace it with a used yaris of the same vintage.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #61
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I just don't get buying a new car when i just bought one a few years ago. My yaris will be my econo box until i die. When I buy another car it will be a sports car, not a replacement econo box. If I ever total my yaris, I would replace it with a used yaris of the same vintage.
Can't fault you for that.

This will be my first new car.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #62
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
this is me.

half of my peers have the latest BMW or Mercedes or whatever 50,000+ car.

But what I roll with is: a beat to hell but mechanically perfect 1999 4runner limited, for woods adventures, and the micromobile Yaris. If my vehicles present an image to people and I think they judge me by it fine, if they have brains they know why I roll with these two vehicles because they are essentially flawless -for what I need from them-.

I challenge anyone to find a car they like and 100% do not care what others think...that is gonna be tough for those people
who think what you wear, or how your hair style is doing, or what you drive dictates who you are and your societal status

Last edited by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby; 12-11-2011 at 10:47 PM.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #63
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
this is me.

half of my peers have the latest BMW or Mercedes or whatever 50,000+ car.

I can afford any new car on the market (except ones above 100,000)

But what I roll with is: a beat to hell but mechanically perfect 1999 4runner limited, for woods adventures, and the micromobile Yaris. If my vehicles present an image to people and I think they judge me by it fine, if they have brains they know why I roll with these two vehicles because they are essentially flawless -for what I need from them-.

I challenge anyone to find a car they like and 100% do not care what others think...that is gonna be tough for those people
who think what you wear, or how your hair style is doing, or what you drive dictates who you are and your societal status
The 2012 Subaru BRZ is rumored to be only $25k. Just saying...you only live once. It's awesome having no car payment, but as Ned Flanders once said: "Sometimes, you just have to spoil yourself!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcMw4zl1r0k

Last edited by CanIHazYarisHatch?; 12-11-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Flanders
Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #64
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
I agree with both of you, but for different reasons.

I think the Accent will be a better car, especially where MPGs (highway) are counted. I know that Accent will sell in crazy numbers, and work tirelessly for thousands of U.S. drivers. However, subjective as it is...I cannot get into the Accent's styling, and on a more personal note, I can't trust Hyundais yet.

Namely, the depreciation curve is very harsh. If/when I go to sell my car (Yaris/Accent/Fiesta/etc.), I want to recoup as much of my money as possible. I cannot do that with the Accent. Plus, I am not feeling the "styling" of that car. The Yaris is more clean and restrained. Call it vanilla, call it what you want.

But I like it. Especially the triangular tail lamps and the rake of the rear hatch and rear sideglass/B-pillar profile on the 3-door. Looks purposeful, yet still elegant. Again, subjective as all hell, but that's what makes us human, and why we all don't just drive minivans and be done with it.

Finally, I'll admit I'm kind of a badge snob. Toyota earned their pedigree decades ago, now they feast on it (not as much these days now that they have been slacking). Hyundai still has a few thousand calories to burn, a few more sportscars to build before I'll give them a shot. But for now, in my biased eyes, Toyota is the "safe" choice. If I flew by the seat of my pants, I'd get a Chevy (Daewoo) Sonic with the turbo and 6-speed and just call it a day. But we all know those won't last as long as the Yaris...or the Accent. But god, what fun that Sonic must be to drive before it falls apart the day the warranty expires!

Having sat in (not driven!) the new Accent, I'd rather keep my Geo. No, that wasn't a joke. I could not imagine willingly paying thousands for that car. I'd rather have no payment and drive the Metro into the ground.

The Yaris? That little car excites the hell out of me. I love the way it looks (inside and out), the way it drives, and it's optimistic little personality. It's little mono-wiper thing. It's little uncluttered 3-spoke steering wheel. I don't know why, but perhaps I was just the customer (early 30s, first new car, male, soon-to-be-professional) Akio Toyoda had this restyle done for.

You just know Toyota is losing money on each one they sell in
the U.S.

Im 25 and it fits me exactly too.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 AM   #65
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9865 View Post
Im 25 and it fits me exactly too.
Just remember, when you are driving that sweet little car, that all the guys in Accents and Picantos...they will have some very steep depreciation to answer for when they sell. Still not an issue with Toyota and Honda. You chose wisely, friend.

They? Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI

I can't wait to be in your shoes, rolling in my new Toyota. It's gonna be so cash.

I'm going to sleep in that car for a week, just inhaling the sweet carcinogenic "new car smell".
Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #66
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Of course, cars will get better than the previous.The accent is a nice car.But I just can't go through the head ache of financing another car, when I have good, not great but a good yaris.That's paid off.The only thing about these new cars is they are apparently more fun to drive.Well, the yaris with suspension upgrades and lowered is no slouch either.Am I right?
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #67
broody

Driving pleasure in econoboxes is usually improved by reducing comfort (Honda fit vs old civic hatchback, Echo vs tercel for example, the older ones were more comfy yet less fun to drive) so it's a matter of taste more than anything, if you want both comfort and pleasure, you must pay more and get something like a Golf.

Personnally, I like sport cars, but Quebec roads are in terrible conditions, so I prefere to have a soft-ish suspension, and road noise is important too for me (sadly not improved in the yaris 2012).

I have high expectations about the next generation Corolla, if they improve it the way they improved the rest of their recent cars (prius 3, yaris 3, etc.) it should be the best car in the world.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #68
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Driving pleasure in econoboxes is usually improved by reducing comfort (Honda fit vs old civic hatchback, Echo vs tercel for example, the older ones were more comfy yet less fun to drive) so it's a matter of taste more than anything, if you want both comfort and pleasure, you must pay more and get something like a Golf.

Personnally, I like sport cars, but Quebec roads are in terrible conditions, so I prefere to have a soft-ish suspension, and road noise is important too for me (sadly not improved in the yaris 2012).

I have high expectations about the next generation Corolla, if they improve it the way they improved the rest of their recent cars (prius 3, yaris 3, etc.) it should be the best car in the world.
Toyota knows how their bread is buttered. Trust that the next Corolla will bring some fight to the playground when it's finally redesigned.

As it stands, it's an also-ran compared to most of the competition.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #69
Strider199

Drives: Black 2012 Yaris 3door 5speed
Interesting read to say the least,

for the last 30 years I've been driving a VW Rabbit, Golf or Jetta diesel. This ended Nov 19 2011 after my Golf TDi and I hit a deer at 90km/hr. I went to the VW stealership and their base price was $31,000. I left thinking that was way too much to pay for a mode of transportation to work and back.

As I was driving my wife's mini-van home I was thinking about other options. All of a sudden it hit me, my Dad (who is kind of hard on his vehicles) bought a Yaris in 2006 and the car still has it's original pads and shoes! He has not had any bad experiences in that time frame so (light bulb came on), I went to the Toyota dealer and ordered my 2012 Yaris.

Takes a bit to get used to the clutch but I like her. Nice economy car, gets me from point A to point B and back without me cursing at the pump.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #70
broody

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
Toyota knows how their bread is buttered. Trust that the next Corolla will bring some fight to the playground when it's finally redesigned.

As it stands, it's an also-ran compared to most of the competition.
What's disapointing about the Corolla in my opinion, it's not that much that it's bland (they have always been), but that they never fixed some major issues. The front seats never had really enough leg room for tall people, and in addition the 09+ seats are less comfortable than the 03-08 seats in my opinion. But they improved the leg room in the prius 3 and yaris 3, so I except the same in the Corolla mk11.. And when I read that the steering was finally electro-hydrolic in the 2009 version, I was expecting a yaris feel, but it's not even close, it's the same crap as before. Otherwise, it's still a great car for it's price (12 500$ before taxes on 2011 base models in Canada), no fancy equipement or styling, but I couldn't care less. I tried one the same day I tried the yaris 2012 actually, and the steering was really a deal breaker, it's too bad.

For me, city car = yaris, more travels/highway = corolla. However, since the new yaris has a much better driving position than before, the yaris is now able to go out of town too (even it it's still somewhat noisy).
Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #71
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
What's disapointing about the Corolla in my opinion, it's not that much that it's bland (they have always been), but that they never fixed some major issues. The front seats never had really enough leg room for tall people, and in addition the 09+ seats are less comfortable than the 03-08 seats in my opinion. But they improved the leg room in the prius 3 and yaris 3, so I except the same in the Corolla mk11.. And when I read that the steering was finally electro-hydrolic in the 2009 version, I was expecting a yaris feel, but it's not even close, it's the same crap as before. Otherwise, it's still a great car for it's price (12 500$ before taxes on 2011 base models in Canada), no fancy equipement or styling, but I couldn't care less. I tried one the same day I tried the yaris 2012 actually, and the steering was really a deal breaker, it's too bad.

For me, city car = yaris, more travels/highway = corolla. However, since the new yaris has a much better driving position than before, the yaris is now able to go out of town too (even it it's still somewhat noisy).
Lest you forget dear friend, the Corolla wasn't always so vanilla. In the 70's, it came as a sporty, RWD coupe with decent and affordable performance.

It wasn't 'till they made it wrong wheel drive (FWD) that the styling and sportiness were slowly leeched out of it like an appliance.

Oh, if only I could go back in time and buy some of these cars new...
Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #72
broody

I'm born in 1990, so I don't know cars from the 70's.