Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Zee518

Drives: 2008 Liftback White
Horn Not Working

First,

Just got my 2008 Yaris Hatchback and super excited to be on this forum!

Second,

So...the horn doesn't work! Is there a relay or fuse that i should check - Diagrams Etc?

- Zee
Zee518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Zee518

- Just did some research,

Found that the 10 Amp fuse under the fusebox looks fine, when i press the horn down you can hear the relay click on and off - I'm guessing my horn is bad and needs to be replaced
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It could also just be unplugged (if someone did some front end work on the car at some point). If you shine a flashlight through the grill you should be able to see the single wire connected to it (the other connection is the bolt that mounts it).
Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Zee518

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It could also just be unplugged (if someone did some front end work on the car at some point). If you shine a flashlight through the grill you should be able to see the single wire connected to it (the other connection is the bolt that mounts it).
I think you nailed it - I see a green wire clip thats just hanging from the grill...this might be connected to the horn.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee518 View Post
I think you nailed it - I see a green wire clip thats just hanging from the grill...this might be connected to the horn.
That's the horn wire. If you look for the thread on changing the headlight bulbs, it shows the easy method of freeing the top of the bumper, which will give you enough space to get your hand in and reconnect the wire.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
CT....Wow. I USUALLY notice things in excruciating detail, but in the thousands of times I've looked at that picture, this is the first time it registered that Crashy is a different color blue than your 5-door. I should have noticed it before as I believe Crashy is my same Bayou Blue (the only other blue for 3-Door LBs until eliminated and the Mica came along in 2012....at least for the U.S. I think). At your convenience could you look at the questions on my little 5 line post #45 on tk1971's 'just picked this up - Prius C' thread in the Off Topic/Other Cars/Everything else discussions and post your thoughts. My last question in that post is "Are these CTScott only questions?" Thanks
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Zee518

Quote:
That's the horn wire. If you look for the thread on changing the headlight bulbs, it shows the easy method of freeing the top of the bumper, which will give you enough space to get your hand in and reconnect the wire.
I found this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=12

Thanks for your quick reply and help!

- Zee
Old 07-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner

Drives: 2018 VW TSi Stage1
so SH!T HAPPENNED I was working on replacing horn on my LE... for hornS from my 1992 Celica GT-S wires are the same so it should work... made a mount to bolt the 2 celica horns on the OEM Yaris LE horn mount bolted them... CUT wires and extended them because otherwise, they would not fit... so we cut the OEM yaris wire (the wire that goes to the steering wheel and made some connections with some wire joints...) the wires are CORRECTLY done.... pressed horn.. didnt work... sand paper the mount guessing a bad ground.. still didnt worked.... we decided to put the OEM horn in place STILL doesnt work...the fuses all seems okay after a rapid check... so wtf is happenning ?
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKING_QC View Post
so SH!T HAPPENNED I was working on replacing horn on my LE... for hornS from my 1992 Celica GT-S wires are the same so it should work... made a mount to bolt the 2 celica horns on the OEM Yaris LE horn mount bolted them... CUT wires and extended them because otherwise, they would not fit... so we cut the OEM yaris wire (the wire that goes to the steering wheel and made some connections with some wire joints...) the wires are CORRECTLY done.... pressed horn.. didnt work... sand paper the mount guessing a bad ground.. still didnt worked.... we decided to put the OEM horn in place STILL doesnt work...the fuses all seems okay after a rapid check... so wtf is happenning ?
Measure the voltage between the horn wire and ground. If you don't have 12 V there with the horn switch pressed, then the wire between the horn relay and the horn may be damaged.