Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Keymaster

Drives: Yaris '06 1300cc
Parking brake cable replacement

Hello guys! I was wondering if anyone has ever came across a service manual, for the European yaris with disk brakes on the back. I am trying to find something around but I am having a hard time with that.

I want to check out how much work does it need to replace the parking brake cable. It was rather difficult to take it out from the calipers that I am trying to replace, due to rust/dust etc and I was checking around how can I replace it.

Any thought or ideas are highly welcome.

Yaris 2006 - 2SZFE
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I changed mine on my rusted Echo and it's fairly strait forward. I didn't drop my exhaust as it was old and rusted , it was was pain to work around that. I recommend dropping the mid piper for better access.

Just disconnect I from the parking brake lever as well at the brake drum. Then remove the whole assembly. There are a few 10mm bolts holding the cable to the car. 2 of mine we do rusted the bolt heads sheared off and a bolt extractor wouldn't work as they were so badly seized. I just zip tied the cable to stay under the car and it worked fine.

Jack up the car and folow the cable from the drum to inside the car and inspect the bolts. It'll give you a better idea of what you're in for
Old 04-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
Keymaster

Drives: Yaris '06 1300cc
Cool, I was checking the service manual for the ones with the drum on rear and various videos on different cars (I cannot find something with Yaris) and it's more or less what you have described.
I ordered a new cable and when it comes I will proceed (be aware for a DIY ).
Yeah I guess that I will find some rusty bolts as well.
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keymaster View Post
Cool, I was checking the service manual for the ones with the drum on rear and various videos on different cars (I cannot find something with Yaris) and it's more or less what you have described.
I ordered a new cable and when it comes I will proceed (be aware for a DIY ).
Yeah I guess that I will find some rusty bolts as well.
Did you get this job done?
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote