Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #1
Braingasim

Drives: 2015 Yaris Hybrid
OBD2 Scanner/App & more

Hello Yaris community!

I am an Ex-pat living in the Netherlands originally from New York/Florida.

I am very new here (my first post). My wife and I just bought a used 2015 Yaris Hybrid last month from the Toyota Dealership here and love it.

European laws and rules make it very hard to research the history of my car, but I was able to find out that it was in some sort of accident in the past (no other details than that). The car was build in France, traveled to Germany and then bought by the Toyota Dealer here in my town in Holland.

Anyway, we had a few orange lights turn on last week while on our way home from the Amsterdam. They flicked on after driving over a bridge threshold. I guess the slight bump made them light up (they were ABS related). So after getting the EU version of AAA out to look at the car, he could not reset the codes, but at the end we managed to drive home ourselves (turning the car off and back on reset the warning lights). The next day, the mechanic at the dealership said it was probably something to do with a miscommunication between the ABS sensor and the car computer and turning the car off reset the signal error.

So all this sums up to the question: I am interested in getting a OBD2 Scanner & app for my iPhone/iPad so i can take a look at my cars computer messages and the battery performance. I did a lot of online searching and found these two websites that gave some reviews on some items, but I do not know if they display the Hybrid battery performance as well as the standard messages for the car. I an fine with either Wifi or bluetooth also (iPad/Phone not Android).

The ones I thought were interesting were the following:

OBD Car Doctor @
https://scanneranswers.com/best-obd2...phone-windows/

Foseal scanner @
https://scanneranswers.com/obd2-ipho...-code-readers/

I really just would like some help choosing out the "right tool for the right job". I am not mechanically inclined and its more of having an understanding of what my car is doing and its health internally.
I didn't want to spend hundreds of Euros if possible too. Which is why I looked at the above selected options.

Also, not related to the above question, our car came with a French manual. The car was assembled in France and Toyota doesn't really include a manual of the country it is sold in, only built. Would anyone know where I could get a "Hard Copy" of the manual (Dutch or English)? I have the PDF already, but having the actual owners manual in my hand just makes searching for things better. My wife found this website and we are thinking of getting it from here, but I wanted to ask, just in case someone here had a better source for one.
https://autoboekjes.nl/docs/e2e33a/t...-2014-t-m-2017

Thanks for reading and I hope to be an active member here!

Steve
Braingasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
Yamidan

Drives: Yaris YXR ‘05
Hi there. I use a wifi enabled ELM327 OBD2 dongle (bought from ebay for about $10) in my yaris and I bought the pro version of OBD Car Doctor for iPhone. They have both been great for the last 6 months of use in all 4 of our family cars. Good read outs with a fast refresh rate, clear code reading, easy logging and resetting.
Yamidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:32 AM   #3
Braingasim

Ok thanks for the info. So it shows the hybrid battery status and all the cells to the battery? I didn't see any description on the app that is does that.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Are you sure that the OBD2 will show this? I do not think so. AFAIK it is only about engine - if you need to read all other details about AC, battery etc then you need Toyota TechStream software (and hardware).

The original is quite expensive, however I bought some Chinese clone from e-bay for 40 USD and it really does what is needed. Just make sure it supports your vehicle because the cheap eBay deals are usually not working with the latest car models.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #5
Braingasim

Ahh ok. I'm not sure then if I will be able to get one here in the Netherlands. I can use .UK or .DE sites, but there is none for NL thats worth looking.
And getting something shipped from the states would be an issue if I need to return it ever.
I may just have to settle for the standard statistics for the car and not the battery maybe....
Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 AM   #6
Yamidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braingasim View Post
Ok thanks for the info. So it shows the hybrid battery status and all the cells to the battery? I didn't see any description on the app that is does that.
I'm not too sure. Mine isn't hybrid. It may find the module as when it boots up it lets me scroll through and see available computers in the car but your best bet would be to download the free/lite version of the app and buy a $5 ELM dongle from ebay to test.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
Braingasim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamidan View Post
...and buy a $5 ELM dongle from ebay to test.
Are you talking about the one I spoke about in the original post I made? Does it have to be Foseal or can it be a different name? From what I gather, they all look identical on the outside. Not sure about performance.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #8
Yamidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braingasim View Post
Are you talking about the one I spoke about in the original post I made? Does it have to be Foseal or can it be a different name? From what I gather, they all look identical on the outside. Not sure about performance.
ELM327 is the chip/connector/firmware assembly that a huge amount of OBD readers use to communicate with your car. Search ELM327 wifi on ebay, pick a cheap one with decent seller feedback and go from there.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 AM   #9
Braingasim

Ok yeah, that was the link I provided in the original post.
https://scanneranswers.com/obd2-ipho...e-ndash-foseal

I will just fine tune my search and look. It's a little harder to look since I am in the Netherlands, but I should be able to find one via UK or DE sites.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:16 PM   #10
nataleesmontess

Drives: BMW F30
I know this is a late reply, but I wanted to chime in about your question on OBD2 scanners and apps. I've personally used the OBD Car Doctor app and found it to be pretty accurate and easy to use.
nataleesmontess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:47 PM   #11
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
if were diggin up old threads

OBD link has amazing CS, updates their database, allows free updates including firmware and car specific stuff to get into the "deep" workings of a cars ecm ecu body mod air bag TC etc..and the ap is clean, user friendly and AD FREE..no spam no scam no bullshit....it also has a dash mode with custom interface for readouts so yeah you can add a tablet and have it feeding you ALL of the cars availible data including cars read of speed and gps

ive been using their stuff for 10+ years now..had one device still working but was having issues connection to device every now n then and they sent me a replacement..not a bottom of the line replacement either but the newest latest and greatest..this was 2 years ago...i have 3 of them, one gets sent out as a loaner for when i know someones having intermitent issues and i need them to tell me whats going on as it happens, 1 stays in my wifes rig whatever she may be driving and 1 stays with me....so they get a work out and swapped often
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:31 AM   #12
gretasgreens
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris
I'm not sure if the OBD Car Doctor app displays the Hybrid battery performance.
gretasgreens is offline   Reply With Quote