Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #19
yakovenkooleg

Drives: 2008 yaris 3dr hatch
replaced the SRS module. with a new one from dealer... didnt help at all... dont even know where to look for now!!!
yakovenkooleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakovenkooleg View Post
replaced the SRS module. with a new one from dealer... didnt help at all... dont even know where to look for now!!!
How are you reading the code (i.e. is it possible you have it wrong).

Since the SRS ECU is new, and the wiring tested fine, if that is the correct code, then the pretensioner has to be the culprit. Before buying another one, you can connect a 3 ohm (make sure it is 3, not 3K ohm) in place of the pretensioner to verify.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
yakovenkooleg

getting a 2.3 ohms on a seat belt.... the thing is ive tried 3 different seat belt, i know they are all good for sure! tried 3 different modules, including one brand new one, still getting 7 and 3 blinks!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
getting a 2.3 ohms on a seat belt.... the thing is ive tried 3 different seat belt, i know they are all good for sure! tried 3 different modules, including one brand new one, still getting 7 and 3 blinks!
For the heck of it, check the connector under the driver's seat for the driver's seat belt buckle. That would be code "37".
Old 01-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #23
yakovenkooleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
For the heck of it, check the connector under the driver's seat for the driver's seat belt buckle. That would be code "37".
Replaced the whole damn seat, tried different wheel airbag and a clock spring, nothing seems to work. This is crazy!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Replaced the whole damn seat, tried different wheel airbag and a clock spring, nothing seems to work. This is crazy!
It definitely is crazy. Check that connector now though, as you never know.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #25
yakovenkooleg

checked evrything! i even replaced the passanger airbag and passanger seat with seatbelt just in case.. i know dealer will be no help to me cuz they got the standard operation procidure, and i did it all my self. maybe somebody here had the same problem and they have the solution?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
checked evrything! i even replaced the passanger airbag and passanger seat with seatbelt just in case.. i know dealer will be no help to me cuz they got the standard operation procidure, and i did it all my self. maybe somebody here had the same problem and they have the solution?
The only thing left would be the actual wiring harness.

Can you take a video of the light pattern?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #27
yakovenkooleg

The floor or the dash harness?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
The floor or the dash harness?
The floor one is the one that goes from the SRS ECU to the pretensioners. I really don't think that it is the harness though, with what I had you test.

I would really like to see the light pattern. If it would be easier for shooting it to me, I can PM you my cell or email to send it to. From there we can go through a step by step bit of testing to try to pinpoint the problem.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #29
Brett!

Drives: 2010 3D base
I am on the edge of my seat. This is playing out like that Nicolas Cage movie National Treasure. I hope you find the answer, dude.
Brett! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #30
yakovenkooleg

here is the video! first i jump two pins to read the code (7 and 3 blinks) than i try to erase the code (two attempts) after which you can see when you turn the ignition off for about one second the light functions normal, but when its off for a little longer the light comes back on again with the same code!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA-asC2-C-s
Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
here is the video! first i jump two pins to read the code (7 and 3 blinks) than i try to erase the code (two attempts) after which you can see when you turn the ignition off for about one second the light functions normal, but when its off for a little longer the light comes back on again with the same code!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA-asC2-C-s
OK. I definitely agree that it is code 73, which the service manual says is "short in right hand pretensioner squib". What if that is a misprint, as 73 is short in left hand on many other Toyotas?

Have you perchance checked the driver's side one?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #32
yakovenkooleg

thats the thing.. some service manual say its the right side some say its the left side, thats why i've tried both sides..right now i got the new floor wiring in it, new seats (both sides) new seat belts (both sides) new wheel bag, new passenger bag, new module, and a new front airbag sensors (both sides) the only thing i haven't replaced on that is the dash harness and the wires that go out to the front impact sensors. i am just clueless about this whole thing!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #33
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
thats the thing.. some service manual say its the right side some say its the left side, thats why i've tried both sides..right now i got the new floor wiring in it, new seats (both sides) new seat belts (both sides) new wheel bag, new passenger bag, new module, and a new front airbag sensors (both sides) the only thing i haven't replaced on that is the dash harness and the wires that go out to the front impact sensors. i am just clueless about this whole thing!
I can't believe that you've replaced all of that. I don't even want to know what you have spent thus far. Let me force a fault on the pretensioner on one of mine and verify that 73 is really correct (and for what side). I will do that this evening...
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #34
yakovenkooleg

i have a parts car so there is not much i spent so far except time and a new SRS ESU from dealer which was like 119$. it is a left (drivers side)
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #35
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
i have a parts car so there is not much i spent so far except time and a new SRS ESU from dealer which was like 119$. it is a left (drivers side)
OK. I had a chance to try it now before I have to run out to meet with a client. Code 73 came up when I disconnected the left pretensioner, the right pretensioner and both. Code 74 never came up. So, that code 73 alone is not particularly helpful in figuring out which side is the issue.

When I get back I will put together a set of instructions for what to do next.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Out of curiosity, did your parts car have one or both of the airbags pop?