Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Got my windows tinted......need advice now to get it redone

I got my 3-door liftback tinted last week. 5% on the back 3 windows and 15% on the two side windows for $140.

Now that I've spent some time driving it, I'm afraid I went too dark in the back. I don't feel comfortable driving at night because I can hardly see a thing. I can see out of the two 15% side windows pretty well at night so I think I'll keep those.

I called the tint place back and asked them how much they would charge to have the 3 back windows re-tinted to 15% to match the two side windows. At first I was told $75, but that's more than half of what I paid, so then he said $65 cash.

Do you guys think $65 is a fair price to have the 3 back windows re-tinted?
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I paid about $50 per window to get mine tinted. I wouldn't haggle about removing the rear window tint since there is a possiblity that the defogger wires could get damaged; the tint shop I went to has a disclaimer about damaging the defogger wires when removing tint so I suspect the place you went to does as well...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
i went with 20% all around including the back glass. i wish i would have went darker on the back. big truck headlights are bright as hell.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
yarisitis

Damn, I didn't even think about the defogger wires possibly getting messed up. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Now it makes me hesitant as to whether I should have it changed at all. Has this happened to anyone?

I looked on my receipt and saw no disclaimer about damaging the defogger wires, only a disclaimer saying that they can't be held responsible for any fix it tickets you get.

In retrospect, I should have gotten all the windows a lot lighter. AT LEAST 20% all around. Pretty damn stupid mistake on my part, now I'm paying for it.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
I got %20 all around and it like it a lot. Honestly, unless you back up a lot I dont see why you would care too much about whats behind you. If anything %5 on the back glass should be just enough to see headlights. You know there are a lot of vehicles that have no rear window at all (semi's, box trucks, utility vans, etc). Prudent driving and properly adjusted side mirrors should be good enough.

Maybe get some brighter reverse lights (like super LED's), which would look cool anyway, might help?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
yarisitis

True, it is enough for me to see the headlights of cars. But that's pretty much it, and unfortunately, that's not enough for me.

I rely a lot on my rear view so I can know where cars are around me, I don't know why I drive like this but I do. And now that I can't see that well out the back, I don't feel 100% comfortable driving at night. I like to be able to see more, like the lines for the lanes behind me so I can tell which lanes the cars are in.

My girlfriend said exactly what you said, that I just need to get used to it. But I don't know, I think I'd feel more comfortable with the 15% in the back.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
Have you upgraded the strereo? If it has a color display you can hook up a back up camera for pretty cheap. I run 5% on the back 5 windows in my Xa with no issues. I would get a camera or replace the backup lights with halogens. Its like turning on daytime. 5% keeps people from seeing anything in the back without a spotlight.
Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Do it your self them are really easy to do
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
5% is very very low. I'm sure you're just not used to it. I've got something like 5-10% (Previous owner did the tint), and I can see just fine at night.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:22 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
You'll get used to it. That's how I felt the first week with my tint (also have 5% on the back 5 windows [sedan]). Now, I can see just fine.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
yarisitis

You guys are right. I'm just being paranoid and picky about it. I'll get used to it like you guys said.

If I need to worry about something, it's getting a fix it ticket lol. Anyone know how much those cost now in CA?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Sherriff's station in Santa Clarita charges $15.00 to inspect and I think it was $20.00 court cost.

As long as you have two side view mirrors, the rear tinting could be opaque if you wanted. It is the front side windows that may cause you to be cited.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post
You guys are right. I'm just being paranoid and picky about it. I'll get used to it like you guys said.
Wont take long. The reason it seems so bad is at night you look in the mirror and see NOTHING. Thats normal, once a car is back there with lights it doesnt seem bad at all.

Really if you see nothing then theres nothing to see. You may accidently back over some ninjas,,,,but them are slow ninjas, they had it coming.

Anytime the choice is
A:spend money
B: Adapt
Always try B until A seems worth it.
Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post

If I need to worry about something, it's getting a fix it ticket lol. Anyone know how much those cost now in CA?
It's either $50 or $100 now.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 AM   #15
yarisitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Otter View Post
Wont take long. The reason it seems so bad is at night you look in the mirror and see NOTHING. Thats normal, once a car is back there with lights it doesnt seem bad at all.

Really if you see nothing then theres nothing to see. You may accidently back over some ninjas,,,,but them are slow ninjas, they had it coming.

Anytime the choice is
A:spend money
B: Adapt
Always try B until A seems worth it.
You couldn't have said it any better, if there's nothing there, there's nothing to see. I'm starting to get used to it, and it's not such a big deal anymore. Glad I didn't go through with the $65 re-tinting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
It's either $50 or $100 now.
Fuuuuuu, I'm crossing my fingers and knocking on wood.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #16
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
If Cali's laws are anythign lke ours.. they will only ticket for front tint. Like driver's window and pax window, and windshield
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #17
yarisitis

Yeah, they only ticket for the front side windows.

Back windows can be as dark as you want.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Between my 2 cars that I've had (both yaris), I've had my front driver/passenger side tinted for about 5 years, and I've never had a problem with the police, even though it is only 50%.

I was told, and so far, it's true, Don't give them a reason to pull you over. It seem like, around here, it's one of those "extra" things to ticket you for, if given the chance.