Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
What mod to do next?

What would you recommend I do next?

Current set-up:

2007 Yaris Sedan

NST short shifter: In cabin + engine bay
MI short shifter bracket
Shifter cable bushings
Shifter cage bushings
Tein S tech springs
TRD rear sway bar
NST lightweight crank pulley
AFE short ram intake
16 x 6.5 lightweight wheels

Also, about a year ago I needed to replace my whole exhaust system. Mechanic said he could only put 2.25" pipes, not sure from where to where though. I believe the exhaust tip is 1.75", but not sure on that one. I bought a 2.25" exhaust tip from crappy tire, makes it look much sportier.

So currently, I'm thinking a new exhaust manifold, like DCSports? Or should I think about getting an axle back exhaust first? I don't want a whole new exhaust, as I've gotten it replaced not long ago. Nor do I want coilover just yet, waiting for my OEM struts to die first...

Also been reading about the 1zz TB swap, but not sure if I'm ready for that yet?!?!?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

phaznet
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
The 1ZZ TB definitely sounds good, heck for $80 or less you get better throttle response and a bit of HP and it does not change the exhaust noise level. Have you considered weight reduction? Also, have you considered a heavy shift knob? It made a noticeable difference in shifting confidence on my Yaris and for the price its not too bad.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
phaznet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTHatch View Post
The 1ZZ TB definitely sounds good, heck for $80 or less you get better throttle response and a bit of HP and it does not change the exhaust noise level. Have you considered weight reduction? Also, have you considered a heavy shift knob? It made a noticeable difference in shifting confidence on my Yaris and for the price its not too bad.
I still would like my car to be a DD, so I don't want to rip the rear seats out or remove the spare tire etc.

Shift knob would be nice, what's the weight on yours. Also, what do you mean by shifting confidence?

TB seems like complicated job. I read people on the forums have removed it due to CEL and/or high idle issues at cold idle.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
LTHatch

The shift knob(Blox 5 speed 12x1.25mm) i have weighs 450 grams, by shifting confidence i mean the stock knob you have to guide the the knob all the way into gear. With the heavier knob, you just get it moving and it slips into gear easier. It is difficult to describe, but for $45 i love the feeling it gives and the look.

DC sports header looks good, it seems it is all positive reviews. If you do get it, please do a nice review for us of how it feels.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
zyaz

Drives: vios 2012
How about light weight crank pulley?
zyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaznet View Post
What would you recommend I do next?

Current set-up:

2007 Yaris Sedan

NST short shifter: In cabin + engine bay
MI short shifter bracket
Shifter cable bushings
Shifter cage bushings
Tein S tech springs
TRD rear sway bar
NST lightweight crank pulleyAFE short ram intake
16 x 6.5 lightweight wheels

Also, about a year ago I needed to replace my whole exhaust system. Mechanic said he could only put 2.25" pipes, not sure from where to where though. I believe the exhaust tip is 1.75", but not sure on that one. I bought a 2.25" exhaust tip from crappy tire, makes it look much sportier.

So currently, I'm thinking a new exhaust manifold, like DCSports? Or should I think about getting an axle back exhaust first? I don't want a whole new exhaust, as I've gotten it replaced not long ago. Nor do I want coilover just yet, waiting for my OEM struts to die first...

Also been reading about the 1zz TB swap, but not sure if I'm ready for that yet?!?!?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

phaznet
Zyaz, he already listed it

I see you got springs, but no shocks? I would suggest shocks being your next upgrade.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
phaznet

Thanks for the replies... this forum ain't dead yet!

Definitely want coil-overs, but like I mentioned, I'm going to wait until one of my shocks goes first. Also, I don't have the 1000$ to spend on them atm.

A shift knob would be a nice finale to the shifter setup I've got, though.

LTHatch, I see you have a chrome shift knob. Doesn't it freeze your hand during the winter season? I've tried one but it hurts my hand, lol.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
LTHatch

Dang i need better pictures, my good sir it is gunmetal and yeah it is very frosty in the winter lol. Rather enjoy it though, it kind of gives the car a bit of personality "i'm cold you're cold too". Then again, the winters here in NJ don't compare to Ontario, have you considered removing the axle back and seeing if you like how it sounds?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
phaznet

I'm liking your shift knob, especially the fact it is almost a pound in weight! Don't think I could find a leather one quite as heavy. Might be my next investment.

Quote:
have you considered removing the axle back and seeing if you like how it sounds?
No I haven't. I'm content with the sound level of my exhaust currently.

Last edited by phaznet; 11-12-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Strut bar...

I just installed a Tanabe unit on mine...alarmed how much of a difference i noticed...especially in noise. Poly bushings and tokico blues rattle and buzz my car over bumps and whatnot. Probably eliminated/reduced my noise like 75%

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Strut bar...

I just installed a Tanabe unit on mine...alarmed how much of a difference i noticed...especially in noise. Poly bushings and tokico blues rattle and buzz my car over bumps and whatnot. Probably eliminated/reduced my noise like 75%
That is an interesting positive for a strut bar and may help my TRD set-up with has shaken my sedan into Rattleville. Likely the 35 series tires have contributed too. I never could imagine a performance improvement seeing that the strut towers are essentially one with the firewall.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaznet View Post
W
So currently, I'm thinking a new exhaust manifold, like DCSports?
A header was my very first mod.
I got the Weapon R tri-y 4-2-1.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
japle

Drives: Vitz S 2007 LB
Manual, 4 2 1
auto, 4 1

I did a dyno run with the 4 2 1 and the 4 1 on the same car, the results arecrazy

For some reason i cant post pictures here, i think of another way of writing up the results... theres one with the 1nz tb and the 1zz tb too
japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #14
phaznet

Nice pic.
How much of a pain is it to install an exhaust header anyway?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
japle

Drives: Vitz S 2007 LB
not much....
japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #16
phaznet

Alright Yarisworld, I've decided, I would like a new exhaust manifold for Christmas.
Also, a heavy shift knob would be nice!
PM me and I'll send you my address :p !!!

Last edited by phaznet; 11-16-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #17
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by japle View Post
Manual, 4 2 1
auto, 4 1

I did a dyno run with the 4 2 1 and the 4 1 on the same car, the results are crazy.
Hi japle,

I'm really curious... which one worked the best at 3,000 rpms and below?

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #18
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Cool Bars and

I have a buncha bars on mine. It made it rail like handling. The Michelins have taken it another step further. I am hopeful of Monro coming out with a 400 dollar version of coil overs as I had them on my old Caprice wagon. The two best bars I got were the strut tower bar and the sway bar. However, I did get the 3 bars in between two from GT spec, then added a more useful hitch instead of the rear most bar. I do have some rattles here n there, but, as cars age, who doesn't have a rattle. Turn the radio on. I want to get myself, more bars from Ultra racing next, the rear room bar, the two side bars that go on the outer edges and look like big triangles, and the bars that go behind the front wheels. I would also like a roll cage of some form, as our safety ratings are pretty hideous, without any performance enhancers, that, would in essence, make us splat like a bug, quicker.
How about some pics of your Yar, to garner even more feedback on needs you seek.
Hope this helps, good luck.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote