Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
blindmanwatching

Drives: Vitz
2zz Swap on Vitz/Yaris SCP90

Hi Everyone,

My first post on this forum. I've got 2zz swap done on my 1.0L 1KR JDM Vitz. The setup:

1) 2zz from a 2001 Celica with C60 6-speed manual.

2)A/T ECU since I couldnt find a MT ECU so currently using a A/T ECU with this manual setup.

3) 2.5" Shortram intake which is housing the MAF sensor.

3) 2.25" Free flow exhaust.

4) Bigger radiator with two fans.(not sure of the size)

So far there have been numerous issue which we are trying to solve. I'm going to mention them so if anyone can help out please do:

1)Top of shock absorber hats are popping out more than they previously did with the stock engine. Stock shocks with Tanabe lowering springs.

2) The car is running a bit rich(it pops out a flame between gear shifts). I've confused as to what the problem might be. Any suggestions?

3) Engine shows 3 error codes are related to the transmission(since we are using manual on an auto ECU). Can anyone tell if this has an adverse effect on the ECU perfromance??

4) Seems like the car loses traction from the left wheel and goes into a wheel spin. Right wheel holds the road better There is also torque steer towards the left.

5) The stock AC is going to be used with this setup. Anyone know if it will cause any compatibility issue with the different ECU??

6) I'm using the stock fuel pump. Does that need to be upgraded?

0-100 in. Car hits 100km/h when you hear the second gear lock up:

0-100 run with two people in the car, slight wheel spin and sligh uphill drive. Still did 7-8sec

More pictures in the following thread :D

Last edited by blindmanwatching; 06-29-2016 at 07:38 AM.
blindmanwatching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Alexrahl

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
You got any pictures? I would definitely replace the fuel pump with a high output unit.
Alexrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Can't wait to see pictures and video of this!
1:Same thing with my Yaris when i installed Eibachs springs with stock shocks, been driving for almost a year no issues. I believe it is normal.
2: Same bit here, especially after deleting the muffler. High load+rich tune from Toyota+straight through system/muffler= POP. It has been doing it ever since the muffler delete.
4: No LSD most likely, did the Celicas come with LSD standard?
6: I would just for the future, gives you all the flexibility for far more power down the road if you wish.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Ryze268

Drives: 2002 JDM Vitz 1.3
1)Top of shock absorber hats are popping out more than they previously did with the stock engine. Stock shocks with Tanabe lowering springs. {This is normal, I'd recommend getting coilovers if within budget}

2) The car is running a bit rich(it pops out a flame between gear shifts). I've confused as to what the problem might be. Any suggestions? {This is normal with a free flowing exhaust}

3) Engine shows 3 error codes are related to the transmission(since we are using manual on an auto ECU). Can anyone tell if this has an adverse effect on the ECU perfromance?? {It shouldn't affect performance, I've been using my A/T ECU since completing my manual swap in April, the car runs great}

4) Seems like the car loses traction from the left wheel and goes into a wheel spin. Right wheel holds the road better There is also torque steer towards the left. {This is normal, a LSD will cure this}

5) The stock AC is going to be used with this setup. Anyone know if it will cause any compatibility issue with the different ECU?? {Not sure about this, though it shouldn't}

6) I'm using the stock fuel pump. Does that need to be upgraded? {Definitely needs to be upgraded if the the stock yaris pump}

I'm really jealous that you got to pull off this swap but happy at the same time. A lot of people have talked about it but no one ever went through with it.

Follow me on Instagram:

instagram.com/itzkingjustin
Ryze268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
2greek4u

Drives: 2008 5HB LE
I'm a regular over Newcelica.org. as "many".
Ive been building these engines for a while and know their potential and their problems.

Nice swap but why are you using the auto ecu...of course your going to have problems...it's meant to be used with an auto 4 speed and it's gearing. You might not even be hitting Lift(second cam) and having the auto ecu I bet your not even getting higher then 7900 rpm.before it's pulling timing and fuel. Get the proper ecu for that engine combo....or get a power fc which is a very descent standalone for the 2ZZ.

2.25 isn't enough for a high revving 1.8 ltrs. get a minimum of 2.5" exhaust.

The Transmission doesn't come with LSD in any configuration (C56, C60 , C64 e.t.c). There's a couple of good one out there that will do the trick. Monkeywrench has a couple available. The left wheel has less weight on it making it easier to go into a wheels spin. Your torque steer is exactly whats happening to the right wheel that is doing all of the pulling, effectively pulling you to your left.

The only concern of using the stock AC is the pulley size. The 2ZZ can rev safely to 8400rpm (stock valves and springs) so that small pulley is going to be over spinning from it's intended use.

Your next mod should be a wide band.
2greek4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I'm interested to see what mods you had to do to the frame of the car to get it to fit.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
blindmanwatching

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Here are the pics I have taken so far and the first run video. Note that this is still a work in progress

If anyone has any questions regarding the swap i'll be happy to help.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
blindmanwatching

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2greek4u View Post
I'm a regular over Newcelica.org. as "many".
Ive been building these engines for a while and know their potential and their problems.

Nice swap but why are you using the auto ecu...of course your going to have problems...it's meant to be used with an auto 4 speed and it's gearing. You might not even be hitting Lift(second cam) and having the auto ecu I bet your not even getting higher then 7900 rpm.before it's pulling timing and fuel. Get the proper ecu for that engine combo....or get a power fc which is a very descent standalone for the 2ZZ.

2.25 isn't enough for a high revving 1.8 ltrs. get a minimum of 2.5" exhaust.

The Transmission doesn't come with LSD in any configuration (C56, C60 , C64 e.t.c). There's a couple of good one out there that will do the trick. Monkeywrench has a couple available. The left wheel has less weight on it making it easier to go into a wheels spin. Your torque steer is exactly whats happening to the right wheel that is doing all of the pulling, effectively pulling you to your left.

The only concern of using the stock AC is the pulley size. The 2ZZ can rev safely to 8400rpm (stock valves and springs) so that small pulley is going to be over spinning from it's intended use.

Your next mod should be a wide band.
Very useful info. I'm using the the A/T ECU because I couldnt find a MT ECU in my country, so have to make do. Can you suggest a fc for the 2zz?

Are you sure about the exhaust size. Note that its a 2.25" with no restrictions at all. Just a straight pipe with a free flowing muffler at the end.

@Everyone

I've posted the first set of pics just waiting for the admin review.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmanwatching View Post
Very useful info. I'm using the the A/T ECU because I couldnt find a MT ECU in my country, so have to make do. Can you suggest a fc for the 2zz?

Are you sure about the exhaust size. Note that its a 2.25" with no restrictions at all. Just a straight pipe with a free flowing muffler at the end.

@Everyone

I've posted the first set of pics just waiting for the admin review.

Thanks
Adaptronic makes a great fuel controller for the 2ZZ. I just finished tuning a client's 2ZZ Lotus Elise and with a T28 turbo and the Adaptronic stand-alone ECU we were able to get 319 HP / 239 ft-lbs torque out of the 2ZZ on 93 octane gas.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
blindmanwatching

been almost 24hrs since i posted the pictures which were supposed to be moderated by the admin? Admin help?
Old 11-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Admins are often MIA unfortunately. Did you just try to post them as attachments or IMG links from an picture hosting site like photobucket?

Sent from my iPod Touch
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
blindmanwatching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Admins are often MIA unfortunately. Did you just try to post them as attachments or IMG links from an picture hosting site like photobucket?

Sent from my iPod Touch
Thats sad :P. I posted the pictures on photobucket and attached the link using the "insert image" feature.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
2greek4u

Drives: 2008 5HB LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Adaptronic makes a great fuel controller for the 2ZZ. I just finished tuning a client's 2ZZ Lotus Elise and with a T28 turbo and the Adaptronic stand-alone ECU we were able to get 319 HP / 239 ft-lbs torque out of the 2ZZ on 93 octane gas.
Lotus!! On what forum does he post?
2greek4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
Ryze268

Drives: 2002 JDM Vitz 1.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmanwatching View Post
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Here are the pics I have taken so far and the first run video. Note that this is still a work in progress

If anyone has any questions regarding the swap i'll be happy to help.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Follow me on Instagram:

instagram.com/itzkingjustin
Ryze268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
As Bluevitz-RS asked, did you have to do any modifications of the front frame rails to fit the engine in there with the 6 speed tranny?

By the way, It looks great. That engine is so awesome when you get the lift cam doing its thing properly.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #16
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Holy moly I really need videos NAO!
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #17
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I have so many questions on this swap.

What mounts did you fabricate? The 2zz mounts or the 2nz mounts?

You said you changed from manual to auto trans. What shift linkage did you use and how are they rounted?

Wire harness... Did you modify the Yaris engine harness, or use entire celica engine and cabin harness. what and where were you splicing (i.e. at the ecu or the engine bay)

also, to support the CAN system for A/C controls, are you still using the Yaris ecu?

now, you say its a Vitz 1.0.. Did that have the electric power steering or the pump? also, was that drive by wire throttle cable or drive by cable on the original 2nz motor? If I had to assume, it was drive by cable and power steering pump. But just wanted to be sure
Old 11-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #18
blindmanwatching

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I have so many questions on this swap.

What mounts did you fabricate? The 2zz mounts or the 2nz mounts?

You said you changed from manual to auto trans. What shift linkage did you use and how are they rounted?

Wire harness... Did you modify the Yaris engine harness, or use entire celica engine and cabin harness. what and where were you splicing (i.e. at the ecu or the engine bay)

also, to support the CAN system for A/C controls, are you still using the Yaris ecu?

now, you say its a Vitz 1.0.. Did that have the electric power steering or the pump? also, was that drive by wire throttle cable or drive by cable on the original 2nz motor? If I had to assume, it was drive by cable and power steering pump. But just wanted to be sure

Mounts: The timing belt and rear mount are the same as for the 1kr engine( I had a 1kr not a 2nz). We had to attached a modified plate to the timing belt mount, since the bolts on the original mount did not align with those on the 2zz( as you can see in the picture. The original mount has a smaller aluminum plate which bolts onto the 1kr engine)

The rear mount remained unmodified. But we had to make a custom bracket on the engine which would fit that mount perfectly.

A new front mount had to be installed in the front, under the radiator. It was done by installing a reinforcement beam on the original beam and then welding the mount on top of it. This modification is totally bolt on( the whole reinforcement beam bolts on to the structure of the car, no damage done.)

The transmisson mount fits in the same place as the 1kr but its an all together different mount with a custom made bracket which bolts on to the transmission. transmission. Im not sure which car that mount is from, probably an old corolla or a civic.

Gear Linkage: The gear cables came with my 6speed transmission. We only had to install a manual shifter and connect the cable and after some adjustment it works very well. let me know if you need something more precise

Wireharness: For the engine we used the original celica harness and for the cabine we used the original Vitz harness. Im not sure of whether the cabin harness had to be spliced or not ...sorry

My vitz had an EPS and an electronic throttle. So we took the power steering pump off the 2zz and adjusted the fan belt accordingly. Im using the original EPS.

For the throttle we had to make a hole for the throttle cable and fix a mechanical throttle. thats it.

The AC still hasnt been fitted yet. So cant say anything.

Ok for some reason the pictures did not attach. Kindly visit my photobucket to view the pictures, regarding mounts. Important things to notice have been highlighted.

Hope all this helps

Last edited by blindmanwatching; 12-03-2014 at 05:02 AM.