Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #91
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo View Post
in my country we can tint the hell out of a car

I guess that doesn't not benefit one when thieves tint their cars and come at you and you don't have a clue they have guns pointing at you.
because, you know, there's no way anyone in japan could steal stuff on a motorcycle or anything...
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #92
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Says Japan I wish. I'm sure that means he wishes he was in Japan.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #93
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Just because, "a law is a law," doesn't mean you should obey it. What happened to this countries sense of independence? What happened to your ability to question, and think for yourself? I hate how weak and sheepish you people sound when you say things like, "You have to obey this law because ... it's the law!" It's people who blindly obey laws that create a runaway, crazy, out of control government.

This country was founded on dissent, and the thought that if the government was not meeting the needs of the people that it should be dismantled.

However, for the time being... the law is in place. If you were complaining about this before you got a ticket, and were actively taking steps to petition your local legislators to even attempt to get something changed, then I would understand.

P.S. Thomas Jefferson rules.
+1
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #94
JBougie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
+1

What's next, rules and laws to protect us from ourselves? I can't sell you a knife because you may cut yourself with it...
Seat belt laws ..........
Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #95
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
-1 Yeah, that's why it's called "law" for everyone to obey it...
Old 12-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #96
JBougie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
It's a shame that tint shops don't have the integity to apply only legal tint rather than take whatever money walks through the door.
That said it's the officers call here in Ontario (Canada). No specific specification is written into the law, it's just the officers discretion.
That's concerning that an officer can just create the law as he goes.....
Old 12-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #97
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
Seat belt laws ..........
I don't wear a seat belt because the law says so, I wear it because I don't want to die like an idiot in a car crash. Seat belts save lives, I'd wear it even if the law didn't say so. I find it ridiculous that we need laws to make people wear seat belts. I'd say if some people want to take themselves out of the gene pool, go ahead, be my guest...

The perfect example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBjajREZTk
Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #98
JBougie
Banned

Quote:
-1 Yeah, that's why it's called "law" for everyone to obey it...
There are a lot of stupid and pointless laws out there.

I am for tint laws, within reason. I don't think that 5% tint should ever be legal. 20% is the darkest I think should be legal on a regular vehicle. Why?

1. It IS harder to see at night (I have 20%, and I without a doubt can tell a difference)
2. Police DO have to worry about their safety ALL the time; not being able to see in a vehicle when pulling someone over IS a concern.
3. 20% is plenty dark enough to keep thugs from seeing in your car while driving, and as a girl who drives around alone a lot, I get added comfort in knowing they can't see me
4. The UV rays are blocked well before you throw 20% on your windows

I just don't think that limo tint is attractive, and there is no point of having windows if they are so f'n dark you can't see out or in them at all. It's ridiculous.

Just my .02

Oh, and tinting your windshield is retarded.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #99
JBougie
Banned

Quote:
I don't wear a seat belt because the law says so, I wear it because I don't want to die like an idiot in a car crash. Seat belts save lives, I'd wear it even if the law didn't say so. I find it ridiculous that we need laws to make people wear seat belts. I'd say if some people want to take themselves out of the gene pool, go ahead, be my guest...

The perfect example:
+1

I wear mine, I am absolutely against being forced into having to wear it though.
I don't want to die in a horrible wreck and wearing it lowers those odds - but if I feel like not wearing it, as a grown ass adult, I don't feel that I should get a ticket for not doing so.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #100
fmicle

Quote:
There are a lot of stupid and pointless laws out there.
Absolutely no arguing with that But unfortunately it's not our call to choose which laws we like and obey and which we don't. One of the basic reasons our society works is because it's based on laws. Anarchy doesn't serve any good. Revolution, now that's a different story
Old 12-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #101
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I can't begin to tell you how many times I saw a very inattentive driver a on cell phone, putting on make up, eating etc in proximity to my vehicle.
I steer clear or these a-holes.
It's a matter of public record that they are a major cause of accidents.
When someone is on a public road their privacy is limted due to the very nature of it being public.
You gotta love it when someone cuts through the fog.

When you're in private - you have the right to privacy.
When you're in public you don't.
When you're driving on a public road, yeah you guessed it, you're in public.

The rest of us have a right to see what you're up to at the moment, whether you're paying attention etc and whether or not we have eye contact at a critical moment (THE cardinal rule for motorcyclists btw). It's helps the police too when they can see inside your vehicle at a stop (oh and the driver standing outside the car with his hands on the roof doesn't do shit for the cop, there might be someone else in the car with a gun).

When you're driving on a public road, you're in public so please keep your zipper closed and your finger out of your nose. Keep some napkins in a cubby hole or invest in a little box of kleenex for crying out loud. Oh and paleeze do us all a favor and do the makeup thing before you leave the house. And hang up the freakin phone and drive!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #102
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2 View Post
You gotta love it when someone cuts through the fog.

When you're in private - you have the right to privacy.
When you're in public you don't.
When you're driving on a public road, yeah you guessed it, you're in public
Please show me where it says I don't have a right to privacy in public. Can I close the door in a public bathroom?? Can I cover the keypad when I'm entering my pin at the gas station?

None of your arguments make sense either, because I can black out all of my black windows, and you wouldn't be able to see anything going on in the back.

Quote:
oh and the driver standing outside the car with his hands on the roof doesn't do shit for the cop, there might be someone else in the car with a gun).
hey, then everyone can get out of the car... again, not my problem
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #103
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Please show me where it says I don't have a right to privacy in public. Can I close the door in a public bathroom?? Can I cover the keypad when I'm entering my pin at the gas station?
You're pointing out places where the societal norm is to give people a private space in public. But you're forgetting that my safety doesn't depend on my seeing you use the bathroom. I'm probably safer if I don't.
Quote:
None of your arguments make sense either, because I can black out all of my black windows, and you wouldn't be able to see anything going on in the back.
I wouldn't see what your up to very well from behind anyway and eye contact isn't likely.

Quote:
hey, then everyone can get out of the car... again, not my problem
Sorry but I don't get this. When a police officer pulls a car over he should assume that everyone is obeying the law and gets out of the car because the law says they should? Sounds like a good way to get shot to me!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #104
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:

The perfect example:
True that. I've flipped some cars. Seat belts help you from moving the wrong way through your windshield.

Quote:
Absolutely no arguing with that But unfortunately it's not our call to choose which laws we like and obey and which we don't. One of the basic reasons our society works is because it's based on laws. Anarchy doesn't serve any good. Revolution, now that's a different story
Thank you. Now, for those of you who disagree with a useless law, then go fight it. I disagree with the tint laws. But I don't care enough to go out and change it. But I still have tint. So ticket, come at me.

Quote:
You're pointing out places where the societal norm is to give people a private space in public. But you're forgetting that my safety doesn't depend on my seeing you use the bathroom. I'm probably safer if I don't.
I wouldn't see what your up to very well from behind anyway and eye contact isn't likely.

Sorry but I don't get this. When a police officer pulls a car over he should assume that everyone is obeying the law and gets out of the car because the law says they should? Sounds like a good way to get shot to me!
I like this guy, btw. Common sense should be this easy.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #105
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
beating a dead horse

No Tint= No ticket
TINT over the % limit= Ticket as SIMPLE AS THAT
DONT LIKE IT??? TAKE THEM OFF OR USE A LIGHTER %
DONT CARE???? GOOD MOVE ON, GET A TICKET?? PAY IT!!!!!!!! AND JUST KEEP ON
Whether YOU LIKE IT OR NOT the LAW IS THE LAW and these ppl will not change the TINT LAW its for the protection of POLICE and AND UR SELF
I CARE LESS ABOUT IT BUT like I said it has its consequences
So it doesnt matter anyones point of view at the end the law is gonna remain the same
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #106
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
But I still have tint. So ticket, come at me.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #107
JBougie
Banned

Quote:
I am all about a good revolution

I am pretty hard-core against the government being in my life at more than they were originally set up to be, and I absolutely can't stand them dictating what I do in my private life or in my private property. HOWEVER, after discussing seat belt laws/tint laws with some of my like-minded (and a few years older, so a bit wiser when it comes to most things) friends a couple of weeks ago a very valid point was brought up: While our cars are our private property, we received the privilege to obtain a drivers license by agreeing to adhere to state and federal driving laws. So, therefore as much as I hate the fact that they tell me I can only have xx% tint, and if I don't wear my seat belt it's a $130 ticket - I have to be OK with it to a point, because I agreed that in exchange for the privilege to have a drivers license I would STFU and deal with the laws surrounding that little picture card I carry in my wallet.

I have gotten pulled over 3 times for my tint so far, and have not yet gotten a ticket ... I know my time is limited, but I am waiting for it and I will accept it when it happens. I have some good connections though, so I might be able to get away with it for a bit longer than the average Joe.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #108
fmicle

Quote:
I have some good connections though, so I might be able to get away with it for a bit longer than the average Joe.
You hate the government to death, yet you have "some good connections" inside that very government. Hmm, some people...