Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #91
atomic_hoji
 
Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kincardine, ON, Canada
Posts: 231
Great progress man!

That's a nice looking engine, and your wiring is awesome! I would like to say that I've wrapped and completed mine that nicely .... but I can't - still too 'temporary' hah.

You must be getting really excited - or really anxious - or both.. lol

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #92
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,347
I don't remember much of hand about the speedo wires but I di remember not feeling confident about them. Once I had looked at the 1nz harness when th engine and trans were out and saw what connectors went where it dawned on me.

Iirc I just opened up the harness and removed the wires and connector from the 1nz and moved it to the 2zr. That's the one benefit of removing the engine and trans together is that you can see where everything goes to on the 1nz harness.

And definitely remove the whole front end as well as the hood. I thought about keeping the front end on but with it removed there so much room to slide the engine in instead if having to lift it and drop it into place in a narrow bay.

The front end is super straightforward to remove as you go. You won't need a guide it will all be right there when you start removing things.
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #93
atomic_hoji
 
Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kincardine, ON, Canada
Posts: 231
Oh - speaking of removing the front end. If you don't have some already, the plastic interior trim / body panel tools. I picked this set up from Princess Auto, they worked a treat.. https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ls/A-p8424624e

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #94
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Great progress man!

That's a nice looking engine, and your wiring is awesome! I would like to say that I've wrapped and completed mine that nicely .... but I can't - still too 'temporary' hah.

You must be getting really excited - or really anxious - or both.. lol

-- Adam
Hey Adam. I've been popping in and out of your swap thread, and man, I have to say I thoroughly admire your skill, knowledge and tenacity. I'd probably have given up long ago. My swap sounds like an oil change in comparison. I guess everything is relative (project complexity/mechanical experience). Haha.

And, yes, I am getting both excited and anxious. Unfortunately next weekend is a complete bust: 2 b-Day parties, a wedding out of town and 2 hockey practices. Thank god my wife is good with scheduling/time management!


Best of luck with your project! You will be the first person ever to pull this off, correct? It will be a glorious feeling when you're done, and cause for much celebration.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #95
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I don't remember much of hand about the speedo wires but I di remember not feeling confident about them. Once I had looked at the 1nz harness when th engine and trans were out and saw what connectors went where it dawned on me.

Iirc I just opened up the harness and removed the wires and connector from the 1nz and moved it to the 2zr. That's the one benefit of removing the engine and trans together is that you can see where everything goes to on the 1nz harness.

And definitely remove the whole front end as well as the hood. I thought about keeping the front end on but with it removed there so much room to slide the engine in instead if having to lift it and drop it into place in a narrow bay.

The front end is super straightforward to remove as you go. You won't need a guide it will all be right there when you start removing things.
Thanks very much, Trevor. I will definitely remove the front end. When you scavenged the speed sensor wires from the 1NZ harness, you take the terminals out of the opposite end of the connector (not the CA2 end), run them through the xD split loom, then insert the opposite end terminals into the appropriate place in the corresponding xD CA2 connector as per my pic below? I'm hoping to leave my Yaris harness intact, but maybe this is not feasible. I would probably have to buy terminal ends.

Here is a pic. I know where to put the wires in the xD CA2 connector. Just not sure where the wires in the 1NZ harness connect to on the other end. Do these 3 wires go to different plugs on the xD harness? Sorry for my lack of understanding.

__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-08-2018 at 09:15 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #96
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,347
I honestly don't remember I'll have to go through my build thread and see if I put any info there about it. I just remember having the same question as you but once I saw what the 1nz harness had that the 2zr didn't going to the trans, it became clear what had to be swapped. I never ordered any pins I just removed them from the connectors and moved them if I needed to.

Toyota pins and connectors are very hard to come by. This is why I am keeping my 1nz harness in storage in case I never need a connector.
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #97
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I honestly don't remember I'll have to go through my build thread and see if I put any info there about it. I just remember having the same question as you but once I saw what the 1nz harness had that the 2zr didn't going to the trans, it became clear what had to be swapped. I never ordered any pins I just removed them from the connectors and moved them if I needed to.

Toyota pins and connectors are very hard to come by. This is why I am keeping my 1nz harness in storage in case I never need a connector.
Thanks Trevor. I'm sure it will make sense when I go to do it. Where the pins go is not an issue. Where they come from is eluding me atm.

EDIT: I am going to review this thread in detail. It looks like it contains the answers I need:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=2Zr+swap

I picked up the xD bracket that mounts to the timing cover and installed it. Pics are in post #84, page 5. I took your advice, lol, but I may be overdosing the Permatex
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-08-2018 at 03:22 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #98
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,099
Just noticed your pic a while back in which you tout 'lots of anti-sieze'. You sure that's what it is? I'm used to anti-sieze being coppery colour. What you have there looks blue to me which is the colour I associate with locktite.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #99
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Wiring Harness Installed...Well, Sort of...

I started out removing one connector at a time from the Corolla harness and replacing it with the corresponding connector from the xD harness. That worked for about 1/2 of the engine. Then I simply had to remove the rest of the Corolla harness as it was getting too complicated and it was in the way. The plastic retaining clips that hold the harness to the engine did not always line up. So, I'm concerned about securing the harness everywhere it needs to be to avoid rubbing/chaffing etc. I may - in some places, have to use heavy zip ties.

As far as connectors go, I'm making two assumptions. 1) A connector will not plug in unless it is the correct plug. 2) A connector will only plug in if it reaches.

The most confusing parts was the flexplate end of the engine. I'm not sure I got it attached as it's supposed to be. There are a few extra plugs on my harness that I'm not sure where they go. Presumeably they connect to non engine connectors.

If anyone sees anything that looks wrong, please let me know.







__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #100
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Just noticed your pic a while back in which you tout 'lots of anti-sieze'. You sure that's what it is? I'm used to anti-sieze being coppery colour. What you have there looks blue to me which is the colour I associate with locktite.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Hey WeeYari. Here is the product I'm using. It's silver. Might just have been the lighting making it look blue.

__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #101
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,099
Cool. I was just picturing you following Trevor's advice to lather every bolt with the stuff and then at some future point uttering 'son of a bitch, that mother is tight!' ;)

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #102
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,347
Hehehe that would be an issue. I used to use silver and that got used to and I received a free large bottle of copper anti seize. Have used tha w/ no issues. As long as its not loctite you are good to go
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #103
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,035
A Breakthrough!

After straining by brain over this speed sensor issue, I re-read and re-read brushforhire's swap thread. I then went out to my '08 and found that pesky speed sensor way way back and way down on top of the trans. Sure the neighbours were laughing - me out there with my phone light practically falling into the engine bay.

Anyway. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to take the whole wire bit with the connector and incorporate it into the harness, running the wires up to CA2 pins 11, 12 and 13. I think where I was hanging up on this was that I thought that the 3 wires had to go into a connector that was already present in the xD harness. It's more of and add-on wire, per se.

Rather than split the harness open, I may run a small loom alongside, ziptie it and fully tape over it.

Again, let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. And Trevor, yes, I'm sure it would have been immediately apparent if I had the Yaris engine out! Haha.

__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #104
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,347
I re read my thread and realised that I never posted about it, it must have been in the thread you had read only.

Iirc I think I ended up pulling the pins and 3 wires I needed and added then to the xd harness. The one end of the wire go to the connector st the trans but the other end simply goes to knead of the small white connectors that attaches to the fuse box. This is what dawned on me when I was comparing both harnesses. I thought it went to the ecu but it simple grabs power/signal from the fuse box so it it a short piece of wire and really quick and easy to add to the xd harness without undoing the whole harness.
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #105
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I re read my thread and realised that I never posted about it, it must have been in the thread you had read only.

Iirc I think I ended up pulling the pins and 3 wires I needed and added then to the xd harness. The one end of the wire go to the connector st the trans but the other end simply goes to knead of the small white connectors that attaches to the fuse box. This is what dawned on me when I was comparing both harnesses. I thought it went to the ecu but it simple grabs power/signal from the fuse box so it it a short piece of wire and really quick and easy to add to the xd harness without undoing the whole harness.
Great. Thanks! I already installed my harness, but I think this can be done with it on the engine.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #106
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Rather than split the harness open, I may run a small loom alongside, ziptie it and fully tape over it.
This is what I did.

What did you end up doing for your MAF power wire?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #107
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
This is what I did.

What did you end up doing for your MAF power wire?
I split the short section of harness needed and ran a wire from B+ pin 3 in the MAF connector out the end by the fusebox plug (CA2). I picked up a mini add-a-fuse and will do the same as you guys - plug into an ACC location.

Pics are back one page (post #76) if you're interested.

Thanks!

BTW, my midpipe arrived today. Have to call them and see if it's one piece or two. That will determine if I take the van or the car to get it.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-09-2018 at 10:01 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #108
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Great news!

Turns out one of the local auto repair shops (there are only 2 - 3 in our small community) has an exhaust pipe bender and lots of piping. I was told this by one of the guys that works at the parts store. I dropped by and talked to the owner and he said that they hadn't used it in a while but he'd be interested in fabricating an axle back exhaust for me. I showed him pics of my current exhaust and my new muffler and he said he'd like to just remove the flange from my Yaris muffler, form a new pipe over the axle and weld it to my new muffler. He'd weld on the hangers in the right places. When the swap is done, he said to bring the car in and show him where I'd like the muffler positioned. For materials, he told me he'd charge $5.00 per bend and about $5.00 a foot for pipe, plus labour of course. The great thing about this is that I can have him use a larger diameter pipe and my muffler is basically a straight through with a 2.5" inlet. With the aftermarket xD midpipe and a freer flowing axle back, I feel the system should work reasonably well. I had originally asked him to just hack my muffler off and use the axle to muffler part of the stock Yaris pipe and he suggested a new larger diameter piece. I'm stoked!

Here is the inexpensive muffler I bought. I hope it doesn't look too cheesy and isn't too loud. I can always have him put another muffler on if I'm not happy with it.

I think it will look decent with the dual 3" tips just peeking out from under the car. It's not high end stainless steel, but, as I mentioned before, the cheap tips I bought are holding up really well, plus this exhaust will never see winter driving conditions.

__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-09-2018 at 10:03 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T Montague's 2zr swap - '08 m/t sedan some extra info tmontague Performance Modifications 134 11-23-2018 01:58 AM
How frequently does the automatic transmission fluid need to be changed? Hamster DIY / Maintenance / Service 36 11-18-2018 10:45 PM
2zr swap and e-test in Ontario tmontague Performance Modifications 7 12-23-2016 10:12 AM
Problem help MickZEL DIY / Maintenance / Service 38 08-01-2011 02:52 PM
Want opinions automatic vs. manual transmission anik New YARIS Purchase Forum 84 07-10-2007 04:25 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.